New Super Mario Bros. Wii Shows Off "Super Skills"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Super Mario Bros. Wii Shows Off "Super Skills"

You might not need "Super Skills" to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but as this video shows, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

It's a NSMB Wii trailer two-fer!

Now, I don't know that I'm seeing any of this supposed Contra-esque difficulty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95316-New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii-Reportedly-Wicked-Hard] in the above videos, but what I am seeing is a variety of powerups, and the use of said powerups to get lots and lots of 1UPs. Whether you think that the whole concept of "extra lives" is irrelevant in modern gaming, those are indeed, some clever Super Mario tricks.

I'm actually a lot more interested in the various powerups the video shows off. We see the standard Star and Fire Flower that have become staples of the Super Mario franchise, but also three new-ish abilities: A penguin suit that lets Mario slide across ice, a propeller-head suit that lets him glide, and a frozen counterpart to the Fire Flower.

This last one is intriguing: We all knew Mario was a psychopath that had no problem stomping on various animals like turtles to slaughter them, but somehow it feels a bit more visceral when he freezes an enemy in a block of ice and then dashes it against the side of a cliff, shattering them into tiny pieces. Mario, you fiend!

(Okay, the penguin suit looks pretty fun. I have to admit that)

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
This game looks pretty good, Mario games usually are. Not gonna watch those videos though; wanna make the powerups a surprise.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Skill, pssh, that's not skill.

Okay, actually, that was awesome. Still unsure about getting the game.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I was actually really sceptical of this game but it looks bloody good
Though why is it on the Wii and not on the DS it looks like a DS game?

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
That level of difficulty is not really seen in the videos, but the potential still exists, as does a serious nostalgia factor. If the level design is that good even for the things that we haven't seen yet, this game could actually have potential.

TheCameraman

Jun 8, 2009
Looks pretty fun, but not exactly overly difficult.
Seems way better than the snoozefest that was New Super Mario Bros on the Ds though. Only DS game I ever regret that I bought. :/

Also, a lot of the stuff they showed there was more or less just to get a few extra 1Ups, just to be fair.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I've been wanting some old school Mario action for a while now. Plus this is one my wife and I will enjoy so I'm definitely going to pick this one up.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I admit this looks like a nice return to 2d gaming, but that is just wayyyyyyy too easy.

The old Super Mario Brothers required that amount of skill just to get through level 1, and Super Mario Sunshine required those skills all throughout.

If they wanna say it's super difficult, they better up the ante.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
This game looks like a great throwback to the Mario games of old. I am really hoping this will be what SMB3 was for the NES. (Minus a movie tie in)

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
So is this a fully realized 4 player co op Mario game? That makes the game worthwhile. It's just too bad about the sexism with Peach and the 'difficulty' with skirt physics (eye roll).

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
that 2nd video shoulda been first, as it is completely lacking compared to the first one. absolutely amazing though

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
It's probably bad that I had Kaizo flashbacks watching that first one.

Eh, probably wouldn't be that hard. I'll still look it up.