Calling All Cars Goes Dark In January 2010

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Calling All Cars Goes Dark In January 2010

Bad news for the theoretical handful of people still attempting to enjoy PSN downloadable game Calling All Cars: The game's servers are only a few months from permanently disappearing.

Specifally, January 14, 2010 marks the end of the road [http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/10/19/calling-all-cars-servers-calling-it-quits-in-january/] for the cops n' robbers themed title from perennially tantrum-prone God of War creator David Jaffe.

There seems to be no online playerbase for the game currently, so while we don't expect much weeping and gnashing of teeth following this news, it should be pointed out that this is the first time a PSN game has had its backend hardware taken offline.

Calling All Cars obviously wasn't the runaway smash hit Jaffe and his wee kin in The Shire had hoped it might be, but there is a certain cachet to being the first to fail so immensely, right?

It's like the gaming equivalent of being Peter McNeeley. Yes, you're always going to be known as the goofy white dude who only barely avoided being decapitated by an angry, post-prison Mike Tyson in less time than it takes to find your car keys in the morning, but at the same time people totally know who you are!

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
That's too bad, but not really surprising. I remember there being all kinds of hype pre-release, then after it came out like alot of games this gen it just kind of faded.

Oh well, Jaffe will probably bounce back.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
sunami88 said:
That's too bad, but not really surprising. I remember there being all kinds of hype pre-release, then after it came out like alot of games this gen it just kind of faded.

I hope so. If not, who will take the journey to Mordor?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
One does not simply rock into Mordor...

OT: Its a shame that a game has to shut down like this. Is it just going to be like the Doritos Dash or w.e for the X360? Where its just LAN?

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
sunami88 said:

Even though Jaffe created one of the best game characters in modern gaming he was still an ecotistical dick who wants a punch to the face. He's basically Sony's Cliffy B.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
nathan-dts said:
Even though Jaffe created one of the best game characters in modern gaming he was still an ecotistical dick who wants a punch to the face. He's basically Sony's Cliffy B.
I didn't say I liked the guy (personally I've never met him haha), just that he'd bounce back...

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
If you don't care, don't post.

I heard about that game. Never played it though(lack of a PS3). Shame it's going down. But it might indicate a sequel.
Criticizing a man then writing a proof that you didn't even bother to read the OP, sequel for a player with no player base whatsoever.. yeah, that's a smart move

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
VZLANemesis said:
Aura Guardian said:
If you don't care, don't post.

I heard about that game. Never played it though(lack of a PS3). Shame it's going down. But it might indicate a sequel.
Criticizing a man then writing a proof that you didn't even bother to read the OP, sequel for a player with no player base whatsoever.. yeah, that's a smart move
Just because a game didn't well sell doesn't mean it won't get a sequel. Look at Mirror's Edge.
But after all. This is Dave Jaffe we''re talking about

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
Just because a game didn't well sell doesn't mean it won't get a sequel. Look at Mirror's Edge.
But after all. This is Dave Jaffe we''re talking about
Your argument is kinda shit. Mirror's Edge sold pretty well. At the very worst you could say it didn't sell as ridiculously well as its ad budget warranted, but it still made cash hand over fist.

You should've just admitted you were wrong to begin with, instead of trying to back yourself with an argument so fundamentally flawed and easily dismantled that I half expect you to need a helmet and drool bib when your mom takes you to the park.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Its a game nobody plays?

How is it a shame its going down? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

CAC

Oct 20, 2009
Those of you who like the game, check out the new Calling All Cars Board at http://www.arctic-charge.com/cac/ and feel free to register. Let's get some games going before it's too late! I'm also hoping the shutdown could be cancelled if there's enough action on the servers.

Would be a shame to see this game die completely. The online mode has been very quiet recently, but not dead.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
It dies on my birthday.

IRONY!!!

OT: Unlucky for them. Hope they have better luck next time.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, its always sad to see servers go down. One day, a long time in the future, Valve will have to shut down its TF2 servers. All servers must eventually die...And go to server heaven.