Dungeons & Dragons Brought to Life Using a Microsoft Surface Table

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dungeons & Dragons Brought to Life Using a Microsoft Surface Table

[vimeo=7132858]

Wouldn't it be cool if the very table you were playing Dungeons & Dragons on enabled you to fully visualize your game? Now it can.

The Surfacescapes team from Carnigie Mellon University are working on a proof-of-concept project to show how tabletop games could be played on a Microsoft Surface Table. The Microsoft Surface [http://www.microsoft.com/surface/pages/product/whatIs.aspx] is basically a table-like computer that features a large horizontal touch screen that can receive multiple inputs at once. Using Dungeons & Dragons as the basis for their first prototype, the team plans to bring a brand new level of immersion to the tabletop genre.

There may be some that think something like this would only ruin the spirit of Dungeons & Dragons, and those people have a point, but this looks so awesome I can't imagine that every tabletop player doesn't want to get their hands on it right now. Surfacescapes plans to eventually create a 15-20 minute demo showing off the full capabilities of their system, but this shorter work-in-progess demo already shows a huge amount of potential. The Surfacescapes team is not changing tabletop gaming, but enhancing it in every way possible. From the team's website, they plan to implement the following features:

1. Automatically tracking combat states and statistics.
2. Tracking character information.
3. Providing audio and visual feedback for player actions.
4. Use of physical objects which the Table can detect, such as miniatures, themed "control objects" and feat cards.
5. An intuitive and visually appealing virtual UI, in addition to incorporating physical objects.
6. Ability for the Game Master to alter the map on the fly.
7. Uploading of custom and premade "story slides" to enhance the narrative aspect of D&D.
8. Ambient sounds and lighting to aid in storytelling.
9. Enhance story telling by streamlining a lot of the book keeping that the DM usually handles.

The way that this demo's UI conforms around the miniatures placed on the Surface looks really futuristic. The only thing that I might disagree with is the use of the Surface to roll the dice. Ripping the 20-sided die out of peoples' hands almost seems criminal, though maybe it can be gotten used to.

This semester, the Surfacescapes team is focusing fully on the player experience with only a basic GM (game master) screen. Next semester, the Surfacescapes team plans to expand the abilities of a GM, adding "a robust map editor and a variety of campaign creation tools" according to their their website [http://www.etc.cmu.edu/projects/surfacescapes/]. This is very compelling work, and a perfect fit for a piece of technology like the Microsoft Surface.

Source: 1up [http://www.etc.cmu.edu/projects/surfacescapes/]

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
But the entire reason I like table top game sis becasue of the level of control you have over everything. If need be, you can change just about any aspect of how you play D&D, from rules you do/do not want to use to general statistics.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Ollie596 said:
I really would like to see Warhammer work with this.
I agree, This is an awesome piece of software/hardware, and I see great potential. Think of this, if this piece of hardware goes into full-scale production, and the price comes down to the point normal people could afford it, we could see a revolution in the gaming industry, with maybe the return of classic board games that have been pushed aside by current games.
Using your example of Warhammer, I would love to try out Warhammer 40k, but the cost of building an army keeps me from getting into it, and an absense of players. But with this piece of tech and a faithful adaption of the classic wargame, I could do it. Because I could justify buying the Surface Table because I could do other things than play Warhammer 40k or D&D on it.
I can't wait to see the full demo of this team's project, it will be very interesting.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I wouldn't like it.

The reason I love Dungeons and Dragons is because I can imagine it all play out. If I can see it on the screen, it ruins it for me.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Uh, how is that much different to playing NWN or some other DnD inspired game? Aside from it being horizontal...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Nimbus said:
Uh, how is that much different to playing NWN or some other DnD inspired game? Aside from it being horizontal...
Hey, everything is better horizontal right? Hurr Hurr Hurr, Boom Chicka Wow Wow.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Want, that would rock. I'm not even that into tabletop games (although i've always wanted to be) but this would certainly help.

Probably cost and arm and a leg though.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Hahahah, that's so awesome. And this is where I get to brag that my parents own a Surface so I'll probably get to play with this in the mid-to-near future. YAY!

Ultrasnail

Feb 3, 2009
great idea, but so much of dnd is made up on the spot (by me and my friends anyway) so i feel this board would make it too forced and not fun.
and it would probaly take out all comedy... eg, i want to lick the cat.

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
I only got into D&D a few months ago and I'm quite enjoying it, but I agree, part of the fun of the game for me is yelling at my cursed d20 when I keep rolling critical failures. If the computer is doing it for me, there's no-one to blame. Where's the fun in that? ;)