No Dedicated Servers for Modern Warfare 2 PC, Fans Freak Out

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
No Dedicated Servers for Modern Warfare 2 PC, Fans Freak Out

Infinity Ward's decision to remove a traditional dedicated server browser from Modern Warfare 2 has PC gaming fanatics going completely berserk.

Speaking about the upcoming Modern Warfare 2 in a podcast [http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799], Infinity Ward Community Manager Rob "fourzerotwo" Bowling dropped a bombshell that has the die-hard PC gamers reeling: Not only will Modern Warfare 2 not support user-created mods, but the game will not support dedicated servers for multiplayer - instead, the PC version will use the same peer-to-peer matchmaking formula of its console brethren.

"The team's focusing on having it very equal on every platform," said Bowling, and it's true that lack of a traditional PC server browser - where players are able to sort dedicated third-party servers by gametype/map/players/ping/etc. and choose which one they want to join - has hardly crippled the popular console versions of the first Modern Warfare. In theory, the "console" archetype simply distributes the hosting load to the player with the best connection - and should they drop, it smoothly finds another host who can continue the match.

Predictably, this change has PC gamers going nuts, sparking some Modern Warfare of their very own. Also predictably, there's an Twitter account [http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html]: "Dedicated servers FTW. What ever secures a better online experience is a given for us."

At first glance, this seemed to be - and on some level, continues to seem to be - a classic example of "They Changed It, Now It Sucks." [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks] I could understand the furor over the lack of mods, since mods are always fun, but - of all things - complaining because we're not using traditional server technology? Are all FPS games going to have to have a server browser from now until the end of time? What happens when genuinely better tech comes along?

Let's face the music, PC gamers: Server browsers are usually clunky and unintuitive. In trying to teach a (non-PC-gaming) friend how to play TF2, the first twenty or so minutes were just spent on how to sort through and select a server. I know that we PC gamers like to think of ourselves as an exclusive little club of special kids who hold high reign above those console lowlifes, but really? Are people really complaining about a more easily accessible game with modern matchmaking technology?

I was about to conclude with something along the lines of "At least the threw his hat into the ring [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92818-Fans-Petition-For-StarCraft-II-LAN-Blizzard-Responds]. The two incontrovertible points there seem to be "they make moderation easier to enforce" (as long as the players providing the servers are dedicated) and "they create communities." Even then: It might be true that they create little insular communities (even if I'd be willing to bet most gamers just pick servers primarily based on map/ping/how full they are), but couldn't one argue that Infinity Ward is simply trying to make one larger community?

In the end, though, this is just sound and fury, signifying nothing. Infinity Ward will probably not be swayed, Modern Warfare 2 will come out as planned, everyone who hemmed and hawed over this will still buy the game (though they'll still complain) and it will sell a hojillion bazillion copies.

Update: Or maybe not [http://www.a2kclan.com/forums/?page=post&id=9B5C2579-ED1B-4649-8077-38DC84464612&fid=76F629A7-C845-4ABF-BBD7-0D65CAA9C864]. Quoth the very same Bowler, in response to the controversy: "Definitely made a big wave, and the response will not be ignored. I'll ensure everyone at IW sees the petitions and responses to it."

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/20/pc-gamer-editor-why-i-signed-the-modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-petition/])

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Maybe we dont want forced match making? We dont want all these things that console owners love and need, its running though steam anyway so why get rid of dedicated severs? Isnt steam all about connecting more and less of playing with random dudes then moving on.
In my favourites box I have 5 severs for counter strike alone, 3 of those are mods I enjoy, one is my clans sever and the other is a sever with a great regular playerbase.

Pigletdude

Sep 13, 2008
No I'm not feeling like I'm in a "little special club of special kids", I genuinely bloody prefer dedicated servers, after playing the likes of DoW 2 mess of a matchmaking and all those games with quickmatches which screw me over.
I'm just more inclined to the manual, "do it yourself" ethos, accessible is one thing, but taking away choice is another thing I'm not loving, if we can have dedicated servers, but the devs can't be arsed to change one friggin thing for the PC port then I deserve to be pissed off.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Funk, I'm fairly certain I love you now.

I completely agree with what you said. Newbies find it hard to grasp the current day servers. I tried to teach my dad how to use Battlefield 2 online. Needless to say, he never really got the hang of it.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
well you can say goodbye to any type of competitions, playing with freinds, and any mods with keep the game alive (witch usually keeps people playing the game), im sorry but what were they thinking when they came up with this. (sorry for the small rant, i have restrained myself from making it longer.)

i wasnt buyng the game anyway, but i can still complain incase this idea catches on for other pc games.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I never found finding a server clunky.

You just click the filters for locked games, full games and high-ping games and press search, how hard is it to do that?

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
zidine100 said:
well you can say goodbye to any type of competitions, playing with freinds, and any mods with keep the game alive (witch usually keeps people playing the game), im sorry but what were they thinking when they came up with this. (sorry for the small rant, i have restrained myself from making it longer.)
This is what I was going to say.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
Booze Zombie said:

You just click the filters for locked games, full games and high-ping games and press search, how hard is it to do that?
Pretty much this.

I don't know about how all this matching up works, but wouldnt it be possible to add both a "quick match" option AND a server browser?

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Last I checked, match making didn't workout well for me. I either get stuck with bad players and I completly decimate them, or I get stuck with people who happen to know where I am and when I last had icecream. I understand why they want to do it so that the host doesn't leave midgame and end the game right there, but why don't they just do that with the consoles and leave the PC to the choice of IW servers or dedicated servers.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
If you can't use a server browser you probably shouldn't even be using a PC.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Booze Zombie said:

This is because you are a PC gamer, and you are accustomed to doing these things. You (and I) are hardwired to do these things, just as we are hardwired to moving with a mouse and keyboard as intuitively as, say, walking.

It's still a pretty massive obstacle when it comes to accessibility.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
What? What??? Seriously, what the hell is wrong with them. Maybe I want to choose which map I play. Maybe I want to choose a different server because the one I'm on has unfair teams or is full of pros or full of noobs.

Edit: One more reason not to buy the game, which I wouldn't have done anyways. Seems like Activision has set itself the goal to become the most hated publisher on earth and is willingly alienating the fanbase by raising prices and doing stuff like that(maybe IW made that decision by themselves, but I doubt the publisher hasn't at least agreed, if not pushed them to leave it out).

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Zac_Dai said:
If you can't use a server browser you probably shouldn't even be using a PC.
And responses like this is why it's very, very hard to feel sorry for PC gamers. I gave up trying when they start trying to tell me that console gaming is a "second-rate experience". Rather have twelve-year old screechers than elitist cunts, myself.

CantFaketheFunk said:
Booze Zombie said:

This is because you are a PC gamer, and you are accustomed to doing these things. You (and I) are hardwired to do these things, just as we are hardwired to moving with a mouse and keyboard as intuitively as, say, walking.

Seriously. It's all about this. If I'd never played a FPS before, would you expect me to know what ping is? Why is more of it a good thing? Why are you calling me a "noob"? Why is noone helping me? Well, I guess I won't bother with this, I'll go back and not help fund more games.

Also, I've just had a thought - if Console gamers had to put up withthe quagmire of server selection, we'd be told to suck it up and deal with it. Why is it not OK to do it the other way round?

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
Slow to post ah this was on the wire sunday and proberly the bigest news in pc gaming this month.

PC gaming and console gaming are diffrent things, communitys work diffrently due to the tools they had to start with. Pc had servers and it was a pain to read out ip's on voip so they joined togeather and go to there fav servers to play and console gamings got friend lists with a join butto.

MW2 needs dedi servers no to ways about it.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Booze Zombie said:

Then have an an optional quick-match system, and keep the server browser in place for people who can use it. Taking out something that has been an integral part of PC gaming for many years, simply in the name of making things more accessible, is, IMO, a grave mistake.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
If you cant figure out how to use a server browser or sort a list you have no reason even using a computer. If you cant do either of these you are computer illiterate and need to go take classes. You are more likely prone to doing more harm to the computer then good and should go pick up a console controller where you can do no damage.

Why are the editors around here such apologists to these corporations? I understand you wanna play these games before launch but please get off their balls. How can you be against more options?

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
I have no problem at all with matchmaking, in fact I encourage it to help those who jsut want to join a game. It should have both though.

This will mean there are no mods for MW2, just how they want it so they can sell DLC of course, and servers will most likely be laggy, especially if your not in the US.

Would you rather run off somebodies home internet connection, off what may be a below average PC, or would you rather play off a dedicated server, plugged straight into the network backbone with much higher uploads.

There are alot of people canceling their preorders over this, I am one of them. While I am not terribly hopeful that this will fix MW2, it should send a strong message to other developers, so that this does not happen more often.

By all means, include your matchmaking system, but give us our dedicated servers too.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:

Maybe the server filter options should be always available, not hidden behind a drop-down menu and it should use more plain words instead of "jargon"?

I'm not really sure how you get around this sort of thing, really.
I mean, the Xbox, PS3, Macintosh, Linux and PC communities all have things that "outsiders" would never understand.