A View From the Road: We Need More Giant Robots

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A View From the Road: We Need More Giant Robots

MMORPGs would make so much more sense if they all had giant fighting robots.

Read Full Article

wolfy098

May 1, 2009
Sadly...
The Japanese have now started getting bored with Mecha.
Americans never got into it...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Sounds like a sweet idea to me, I love mecha.

Although to point out the sorcerer point, going by D&D, you're born as a sorcerer, due to your ancestry from dragons or some such. So I would assume you'd accidentally throw fire at something in a fit of rage or something. :p

Also, I'd kill for a peripheral that was a mecha control panel that went with it, like that old one for some mecha game.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
I think that this could be a genuine excuse to start playing MMORPGs. With fully customizable robots, but limits would need to be set. Eg Can't have a jetpack and transform into a vehicle, for instance.

I think it would also work very well as an FPSRPG. Instead of needing to put a limit on how far the player can advance, you give them the ability to choose certain skill sets at one time. It would also make sense because then you could have different classes of weapon but are upgraded with different things, but you choose which ones to have as well, including your loadout, etc. So it could be something like either a machine gun or a sniper rifle, high-power revolver-thing or a machine pistol, jetpack or transform, etc. I think that would work quite nicely.

Kid_Icarus55

Feb 20, 2009
There´s actually a Mecha MMORPG in the works - the name´s MECHSCAPE (a mecha game by the guys that made runescape for those who haven´t guessed this by the name) but besides some concept art the the promise that it´s going to be "totally different" from Runescape nothing is known at this point

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Kinda sounds like EVE Online, except with Mechas instead of Interstellar Spacecraft. Equipment, levels are for proficiency with equipment/related skills, etc. Just taken from space and applied to a terrestrial context.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
I think i'll be that akward son of a ***** who say's "Meh, as long as the game is good I couldn't care if it was mechs or effeminate men in tights".

It would however, be alot more awesome and immersive, if they created this type of game with a similar control to Steel Battalion.
It was an awesome bundle with a chair and 100 button control or something silly like that.
now THAT would be an awesome mecha MMO I would play.

Edit: My memory is foggy on all sides it seems, perhaps the way the store had a demo set up jaded my view of what was given out.

Still, you could easily rig up something awesome with that.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I would love an MMORPG like this. I really would love a well-done, polished, great mecha RPG - this article was great! I could see this actually; a very fast, fragile, pilot inside a mecha robot, using it to fight enemies using guns and electricity/magnetic powers, transforming into different vehicles for transport; when you get to a city, you leave your mecha at the gate and perform your business as the fragile piolet. Fantastic!

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Wizzie said:
I think i'll be that akward son of a ***** who say's "Meh, as long as the game is good I couldn't care if it was mechs or effeminate men in tights".

It would however, be alot more awesome and immersive, if they created this type of game with a similar control to Steel Battalion.
It was an awesome bundle with a chair and 100 button control or something silly like that.
now THAT would be an awesome mecha MMO I would play.

Edit: My memory is foggy on all sides it seems, perhaps the way the store had a demo set up jaded my view of what was given out.

Still, you could easily rig up something awesome with that.
That's what it was, couldn't remember the game, yeah that would be pretty awesome.

Taco of flames

May 30, 2009
That may just become the coolest thing ever. It makes almost perfect sense, it's physically possible... Why the hell have they not done this yet?

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Yes. Yes. And more yes.

We need giant robots like the desert needs water. It's practically a drought.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Furburt said:
Reuq said:
Furburt said:
Reuq said:
Furburt said:
Mr. Funk, everything would make more sense if it had giant robots... But it can't.
I pity your lack or imagination, everything CAN have giant robots.
Accountancy?
I fail to see what you mean... or maby I just fail.
I don' think accountancy can have giant robots, small calculating robots maybe, but giant robots would just get in everyones way.
Duh, the small robots would do the accountancy IN the giant robot.

But... Yeah. Mechas kick arse. I still have a soft spot for the Western ones of Gearkrieg, though...

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Huh. I thought it was Halloween Week here. *looks at the left and right of the screen* Oh well.

OT: That would certainly be an interesting concept. Even the "license" idea has merit. However, would people in this day and age truly be interested in this, with all of the "druids" and "paladins" around the "world" today? That, I believe, remains to be seen. Until that day, we have to play what we have, even if it can't possibly be as wickedly awesome as this.