Nannies Get Angry Over Dante's Inferno Achievement

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nannies Get Angry Over Dante's Inferno Achievement

The International Nanny Association - I'm not making that up - has issued a statement decrying last week's announcement that Dante's Inferno [http://www.dantesinferno.com/home.action] will include a "Bad Nanny" Achievement which will require copious amounts of dead babies.

Details about revealed last week [http://www.ea.com] that it will include an Achievement called "Bad Nanny," which will be given to players who kill an as-yet-undetermined number of unbaptized babies.

Sounds like good times to me, but apparently not to the International Nanny Association [http://www.nanny.org/index.php] - seriously, I'm not making that up - which released a statement expressing outrage over the game and opposition to baby-killing in general. "INA feels this video game component of Dante's Inferno was created out of poor taste and bad judgment. INA is opposed to video games that promote and encourage players to 'kill' babies, even in fantasy play," the statement said. "It is our opinion that this type of play may promote violence towards children. The name of the Trophy or Achievement, 'Bad Nanny,' is offensive to our association in that we strive to promote and educate the public regarding the selfless work nannies do to support families by providing quality in-home child care."

In response to complaints from INA members, the ESRB [http://www.esrb.org] released a statement of its own noting that while it "appreciates" the concerns expressed, the game has not yet been rated and that when it is, it will include details about the game's content that will help consumers make an informed decision.

"All that being said, it should be understood that our job is not to censor potentially tasteless or objectionable content nor dictate to publishers what type of content they may include in their games," the ESRB statement said. "ESRB's role is to objectively evaluate a game's content and assign age and content ratings that will be helpful in allowing consumers to make informed choices."

Predictably, INA reaction to the game, the Achievement and the ESRB's apparent unwillingness to "do something" about it was expressed on the group's Facebook page [http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Nanny-Association/72424900834] largely with all-caps and heavy use of the exclamation point.

Feb 13, 2008
Didn't Clanbook Tzimsce for the original Vampire: Masquerade tabletop have a spell that required the death of 100 babies as well? Fair enough it was an AO title.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Man, what a bunch of Nanny Babies(yeah, thought of that myelf :/)shut up and get back to your babysitting or whatever it is you do

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
"INA feels this video game component of Dante's Inferno was created out of poor taste and bad judgment. INA is opposed to video games that promote and encourage players to 'kill' babies, even in fantasy play,"
Wait, there's a non-video game component to the video game? Poor choice of words, it makes them sound stupid. But anyway, no one would take the International Nanny Association's complaints seriously.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
So what else is new?
Seriously, who cares?
Wake up people, your concerns are ridiculously meaningless.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Well, it's good to see a game that doesn't tip toe around the possibility of violence towards kids.
"What do you mean I can't put my greatsword through that toddler?"

"What's that? I vats'ed that supermutant with a 10mm pistol, yet I can't mini-nuke that 11 year old orphan?"

yeesh. if you want realism, it's a fact you're going to have to face at some point.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
In a week or two someone is going to find out that this organization is a dummy corporation founded by EA and this is YET another poor attempt to promote this...God awfull rape to literature and what is going to be...a poor God of War clone.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
oliveira8 said:
In a week or two someone is going to find out that this organization is a dummy corporation founded by EA and this is YET another poor attempt to promote this...God awfull rape to literature and what is going to be...a poor God of War clone.
I wouldn't be surprised. They keep trying to get attention for this game through controversy. What other reason is there to let you kill 100 babies in a video game?

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
In defence of the achievement..if you're a nanny and a large number of babies have died under your watch then...yeah I'd call that a bad nanny.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Man, this news has 'em baby-shaking mad.
Hah! I see what you did there!

OT: Oh Dante's Inferno, is there any outrage you won't cause by violating social norms?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well since some group is creating a big stink about this, the game's going to be a top seller. thank you sensationalists you just helped EA execs to make a Scrooge McDuck pile of money off this game

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Baby murder is wrong any way you slice it (no pun intended). And why unbaptized babies, specifically?

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
So they try to ruin the fun of a game...because it's based in Hell...and it's following most modern religion's view on who goes to hell....but it's not ok...

Silly nannies...get to work a diaper needs a changing!