Japanese Mascot Domo-Kun Invades US Convenience Stores

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Japanese Mascot Domo-Kun Invades US Convenience Stores

Domo, the odd-looking mascot for Japanese public television station NHK (and Internet meme in his own right) will be invading 7-Elevens across the US in the form of Slurpee cups.

This one goes under "odd cross-promotions" for the week: In a promotion for the US release of the first Domo DVD [http://www.amazon.com/Domo-Vol-1/dp/B00267QOI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1256195616&sr=8-1], the fuzzy open-mouthed mascot will be gracing Slurpee cups and coffee cups found in 7-Eleven stores all across the United States.

Domo, who was created by Japanese illustrator and director Tsuneo Goda as the mascot for Japanese public television station NHK in 1998, has become somewhat of an Internet meme thanks to his odd (though adorable) appearance, and... okay, it's mainly just his odd and adorable appearance. Outside of Japan, Domo is perhaps best-known for being the source of grisly kitten death every time somebody whips it out [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/God-kills-kitten.jpg].

There's also a three-part episode produced specifically for the promotion (viewable on slurpee.com [http://www.domonation.com/]) that features Domo and pals in search of delicious frozen 7-Eleven treats - and finding only brain-frozen trauma. Delicious, brain-frozen trauma.

[blockquote]Collectible cups feature Domo and his furry sidekicks enjoying Slurpee drinks and one showing Domo experiencing a Brainfreeze™. For Domo fans, a tiny flocked Domo character is affixed to premium Slurpee straws, selling for $1.99. From hip hop to wrestling themes, each of the four Slurpee straws features Domo sporting a different costume and accessories.

Coffee and Big Bite hot dogs, two of 7-Eleven's best-selling proprietary items, also get 'Domo-nized' as a limited offering through Nov. 15. To reach younger coffee drinkers, 7-Eleven is offering coffee in a special brown Domo cup for just 99 cents. Store signage promoting the coffee deal urges customers to "Obey the Domo." Likewise, the Big Bite hot dog also will retail for 99 cents and be served in a cardboard "clam-shell" carrier resembling Domo's face, with the mouth opening to reveal the food.

"You won't be able to go to a 7-Eleven store in October and miss Domo," Wilkins said. "We've let Domo fans know he's coming with notices on Facebook and Twitter, and the online buzz about his 7-Eleven debut has already been building."[/blockquote]

You can read the full press release here [http://www.7-eleven.com/NewsRoom/7ElevenStoresFaceTotalDomoNation/tabid/331/Default.aspx], or check out the limited-edition Fuji Frost Slurpee flavor - complete with Domo cup and straw - at pretty much any 7-Eleven.

(The Consumerist [http://consumerist.com/5387367/adorable-japanese-mascot-invades-us-convenience-stores])

Finnboghi

Oct 23, 2008
It's kind of sad how much bigger Domo-Kun is in North America than in Japan.

When I was in Japan, a friend of mine wore a Domo-Kun shirt, and he got a lot of dirty looks.

Still, I'll be picking one up. XD

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Well that explains why I saw his face on an empty 7-Eleven hot dog box on the side of a street.

And If I'm correct, you can occasionally see his show play on Nicktoons Network.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
So it's spread farther than I thought. Surprised me to no end when I saw Domo-kun adorning a billboard in my town...

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Awww, how cute!
A shame I can't get one! >.< I would sure like one of those.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Now i get drink Domo from a cup wheee. Crazy how Domo is still awesome even after venturing far from the internet

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Domo has been around in the US for almost five years (at least, in my area), usually in Target stores, especially during Halloween. There are a lot of Target stores around southwest Ohio, so I know this. I guess it was only a matter of time before he hit the gas station stores. There's no 7-Eleven stores around the area, so I probably will not be getting one of those Slurpee drinks.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I saw those when I went to 7-Eleven this morning. They're also all over Target.

Domo is making millions. :O

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Domo-Kun always struck me as something which is popular because it's popular.

>_> He's still cool in my book though.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Finnboghi said:
It's kind of sad how much bigger Domo-Kun is in North America than in Japan.

When I was in Japan, a friend of mine wore a Domo-Kun shirt, and he got a lot of dirty looks.

Still, I'll be picking one up. XD
Isn't Domo-Kun a baseball team mascot? maybe they suppourted a different team.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Well, now that that thing is famous it's no longer funny. Okay, /b/tards, we need a new meme!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I love those straws and Domo-Kun, sadly no 7-Eleven's around here.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
Many thanks to the Stern show for hammering this advertising down my throat for the last 2 weeks or so. I never knew that Domo was its name, but when I saw it in the shop, I knew who it was. Odd promotion by 7-11, but at least it's a little more interesting than most.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
these have been at my local 7-11s for almost 3 weeks. still dont know who he is, but is slurpee is very addicting.