Cho Aniki Zero Bringing Oiled Up Men to the PSP in Spring

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Cho Aniki Zero Bringing Oiled Up Men to the PSP in Spring

Next year, those of us outside of Japan will have the chance to experience Cho Aniki - a series of shooters all about oiled up men and phallic imagery - on the PSP.

The benefits of Sony focusing on digital downloads have already been made apparent with Aksys Games' announcement that it intends to release Cho Aniki Zero for the PSP exclusively on the PlayStation Network in Spring 2010. Cho Aniki was long thought to be one of those series that was either too weird or too extreme to make it overseas, so perhaps the ability to release it through a viable digital download service is making it worth the risk.

Homoerotic innuendo and imagery are at a premium in Cho Aniki, though the gameplay is fairly standard shoot-em-up territory. It's all done in a very humorous and wacky way, and if you can't laugh at it you probably need to reinstall your emotions chip. For example, here's the plotline for Cho Aniki Zero:

The Story So Far...

Since the death of Balzac, the Builder Planet has celebrated a long period of peace.

However, as time goes by, protein becomes scarce, and protein deficiency is soon a serious problem for the Builder Planet. As people struggle for control over what protein is left, Balzac II begins his subtle rise to power...

Learning of his return, Idaten and Benten take up arms and begin their man-tastic voyage...

Yes, they really went there. Players will take on the roles of Idaten and Benten, two incredibly muscle bound men, as they shoot their ways through the forces of Emperor Balzac II. Your goal? Well, according to Aksys, to: "Blaze through five man-mazing levels of love, and bear witness to the birth and rebirth of some of the greatest bromances of all time!" And you better believe you're going to have to be good to: "Collect enough Man Protein to unleash the devastating attack of the Men's Beam!"

Cho Aniki Zero will probably not be much more than a novelty, as it almost seems was the purpose for the development of the whole series, so I hope it'll be budget priced. The series is often considered to be pretty awful in Japan, referred to as a series of "s**t games." If Cho Aniki Zero hits the $10 mark or so, I'll give it a shot, especially because it has multiple endings and I can't wait to see the absurd fates of the oily Idaten and Benten.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
That's certainly is special. Because the stereotype of buff men being homosexual in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if this was less of a 'bromance' if you know what I mean.

I might check it out just to be able to say, "Yeah, I'm one of the eight people who bought Cho Aniki Zero. I am a better person for it."

Mar 16, 2009
I was just reading this on Cracked or somewhere under a list of games too weird/unmarketable to ever be shipped over to the US. Due to this, and reading this article within 24 hours of finding the original list, I feel this is a sign from God that I'm gay, or that I must play the game. I hope it is the latter.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
I think I once saw a trailer of that thing. Many muscled men in speedos running behind each other while you had to flex your arms in a certain way at certain points... That doesn't really sound like a shoot 'em up, does it? Then I will assume this is a different game.

Since when was there an "oily manly men"- boom in Japan?

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Monocle Man said:
I think I once saw a trailer of that thing. Many muscled men in speedos running behind each other while you had to flex your arms in a certain way at certain points... That doesn't really sound like a shoot 'em up, does it? Then I will assume this is a different game.

That wasn't Cho Aniki. This is Cho Aniki.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
[HEADING=1]BWAHAHAHAHA![/HEADING]

Best of luck to them though: the very description is a laugh riot.

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
Cho Aniki is one of the most genius games of all time. How can you not see the awesome manliness it portraits.
Almost better then the game itself though are the reactions you get from people:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSuY3K4dLQQ
How can you watch this and not thing that it's awesome? :p

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
Grayjack72 said:
Monocle Man said:

That wasn't Cho Aniki. This is Cho Aniki.
Ah, yes, completely different.

Now I am curious to what happened to the game I was thinking about.
I remember it was for the Wii.
Crazy tunes, manly men in speedos and you had to flex your arms at the right time to gain marching speed or something.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
...Yeah, as hilarious as that sounds, I'm not really a big fan of homoeroticism. Also I've seen screens from it via that Cracked article, shudder.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Players will take on the roles of Idaten and Benten, two incredibly muscle bound men ...I can't wait to see the absurd fates of the oily Idaten and Benten.
It might be a little creepy that I know as much about Cho Aniki as I do (but I'm a girl anyway, so maybe it means something else), but the two bodybuilders aren't Idaten and Benten, their names are Samson and Adon. Idaten and Benten are slightly more reasonably dressed boyfriend/girlfriend or brother/sister (or maybe both, I wouldn't put it past this series).

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
Well okay, so long as the character speak in a thick, eastern European accent I may give this a try.