Review: Torchlight

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Torchlight

Torchlight makes the long wait for Diablo III that much easier.

Read Full Article

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Sounds really good. I never played Diablo, but this sounds interesting(and it's cheap).

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Where does one buy this game?

I'm guessing Steam but I'd really rather not download Steam just to buy one game.

Nevermind. With a quick glance at the Torchlight homepage, I see that it isn't technically out till noon here (two hours) and is available from there. I will certainly be picking this up.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Gxas said:
Where does one buy this game?

I'm guessing Steam but I'd really rather not download Steam just to buy one game.
There is a listing of all their distribution partners - here [http://www.torchlightgame.com/gamenews/2009/10/20/torchlight-partners/]. I think there are still plans for a boxed version at a later date though. It's 10% off if you pre-order on Steam though, so it might still be worth it to pick up there.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
John Funk, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for giving me something to do while I wait for D3

lets hope it lasts the 10 year blizzard dev cycle

it looks like a D2/WoW hybrid, but i dont care how it looks, its how it plays for me, and d2 is one of my fave games ever so im sold

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Regarding multiplayer from the Torchlight FAQ:

"Q: Will I be able to play Torchlight online?

A: Because of the relatively short development window and tiny development team, we decide to focus our efforts on making a complete single-player experience. However, we are already in development of a massively multiplayer action-RPG set in the world of Torchlight for future release."

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
See what I get for watching the video? Oh well, that gives them a "to do" in expansion pack.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
k, bought. 14€ was a good price IMO and with Borderlands delayed to the 30th I could use something to play in the meantime. It'll unlock at midnight.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Looks like a great game, and being single player means it's a lot easier than other "diablo clones" however, because I have no way of paying online I'll have to wait until it's available in stores.(which could never happen and that makes me sad)

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I hadn't heard about this game before I read this now I MUST get it. I'm a huge fan of diablo-esque dungeon crawlers (dungeon siege, Titan quest, ect.). I'm off to see if I can scrounge up 20$.

Oh, and about the lack of multi-player, I've never played any of those kind of games in any way other than solo so that's not an issue for me.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Hell's Yeah! A dungeon crawler made by former Diablo employees? I'm in.

I used to think that John Funk was a terrible reviewer after the InFamous and Risen reviews but I'm glad I got to know about the game through this.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I've actually just bought this from steam, although it seems to think that it's not been released yet, although it's come out... TODAY.(the day I bought it.)

So I guess I'm playing the waiting game with Steam...

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I just heard of this game today and was a bit interested, until I learned it has a very impressive editor with it that can do some pretty cool things.

I'd still like to try a demo for it, but right now with the knowledge I know of the editor, this makes me think of "Diablo" with "Neverwinter Nights" editor.

*drool*

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
skeanthu said:
Any Multiplayer?
I covered that in the written review. Sadly, no.
Hmm... Well, too bad. Diablo 2's main selling point for me was the multiplayer fun. But if it's good enough to entertain me till Borderlands becomes available in Europe... Also, good to see that developers care about European customers - I was expecting 20 EUR for it at Steam, but it's lower than that - only 16 EUR, 13.20 with the discount.