Infinity Ward Confirms Third-Person View in Modern Warfare 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Infinity Ward Confirms Third-Person View in Modern Warfare 2

Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.infinityward.com/] will offer a third-person view but says limitations will be imposed on its use to ensure a level playing field for everyone.

Rumors of a new, third-person view in Modern Warfare 2 began to surface in the wake of a leaked gameplay video which showed the variable position camera in action. Infinity Ward turned those rumors into fact fairly quickly, but added that it had taken steps to ensure that the new view didn't give anyone an unfair advantage.

"Third Person is a new playlist mode in multiplayer," Infinity Ward Community Manager Robert Bowling explained. "So you can play your favorite playlists [or] game types, like Team Deathmatch just standard, or in Hardcore mode ([with] limited HUD and increased bullet damage) or in the new Third Person mode, which means you and everyone in the game is in third-person."

It's an all-or-nothing deal, apparently; everyone in third-person games will be playing in that mode and toggling back to first-person won't be allowed. "When you're in a Third Person playlist you can't toggle in and out, you're always in third-person," Bowling continued. "You can't toggle third-person view on or off in a standard game type either, people in third-person can't play with people in first-person, they're entirely different game modes. This is just another way to play the game."

Maybe I've spent too many years spent in the first-person perspective but, generally speaking, I'm not a fan of third-person views. Character control is awkward and I find my sense of immersion constantly disrupted as I struggle with the feeling that I'm watching someone else play the game. But like so many things these days, mine is a minority opinion, and news that Modern Warfare 2 will offer an external camera seems to be generating an awful lot of excitement. I don't see what the big deal is, but what about you? (Yeah, you.) Is this something you're really looking forward to?

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226110?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Further proof that IW are assholes. The only answer we got after the whole dedicated servers thing was a useless marketing blurb full of bullshit, lies and plain insults after more then a week of asking and now some news comes out that somebody finally found the camera distance variable and they give a full explanation within 24 hours.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
It's a nice addition for those who want it, but then there will still be those to complain.
As for the PC front...my friend and I looked into it (he's a PC gamer more than I) and we decided it is a mostly foolproof way to stop pirating, it's also a lazy approach haha...kinda like how co-op could have been added to single player if they had only made it unlockable after one playthrough, or ranked/social playlists online to allow quests.
But hey, I'm not complaining. I just wanna game.

mrjinx

Dec 31, 2008
Unless there's a cover system and you can do front flips to get around instead of running I don't think there will be any appeal.

I'm not a big Gears of War fan, but you have to give them credit for making the best of the third person perspective. Tacking it on and calling it a 'feature' seems like a waste of resources they could be using to do something else.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Wow what a waste, so no dedicated servers or mods but you can play the game from a crappy perspective atleast.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
IW, we dont care if you try new things. AS long as you leave the tried and true way in as well. I wont play 3rd person much, but I can't complaint since 1st is still there. I wish I could say the same about MatchMaking and dedicated servers...

nicholaxxx

Jun 30, 2009
it doesn't really matter to me, if I decide I want to play in third person, I will, I'll give it a shot, if I don't like it, I'll avoid it, simple.

I don't know what everyone else here is complaining about, its not game breaking or anything, get over it...

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
Abedeus said:
Wait, so it's no longer an FPS game or what?
No, it is still a fps but there is an extra feature where you can play certain multiplayer matches in third person, but it is still a fps I am assuming campaign and spec ops is still going to be fps only.
I think adding 3rd person could be interesting I am still sticking to first person but it will be fun to play around on.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I like not having someone being able to toggle back and forth in online cause that would be annoying but not letting them play together, starwars was able to do that.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Cool, a third person mode.

Some people don't like 3rd person but you don't have to play it that way, so no use complaining.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
mrjinx said:
Unless there's a cover system and you can do front flips to get around instead of running I don't think there will be any appeal.

I'm not a big Gears of War fan, but you have to give them credit for making the best of the third person perspective. Tacking it on and calling it a 'feature' seems like a waste of resources they could be using to do something else.
Seconded. Seems like a waste of resources, seeing as the only good third person shooters without cover mechanics are the GTA games and, well, maybe it's just me but they can't hold a candle to MW.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
bue519 said:
Wow what a waste, so no dedicated servers or mods but you can play the game from a crappy perspective atleast.
Is this some kind of weird trolling? This post is about an entirely different part of the game. There's no reason for anyone to bring up this stupid argument again.

It's real easy. If you don't want the game that Infinity Ward made, don't buy it. Don't sit there and complain about the game they "might've made" or "should've made". Honestly, why won't people shut up and realize that just because there is such a thing as an Entertainment Company, they don't exist to entertain your every whim.

On the third-person thing, it's another option, which normally I'm in favour of. My worry is that this will split the base even more though. Some people will probably stick with Call of Duty 4, some might stick with WAW, and now the players that do upgrade will be cut between FPS and 3PS? That's a lot of ways to split the player base. I'm probably worrying for nothing, anyway you cut it, I probably won't have trouble filling a game.

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
I can't say I've ever been a fan of third-person perspective when it comes to games, with the exception of Splinter Cell and Drake's Fortune. Even in those games it always seemed unnatural to me and like Malygris said, it takes away from the immersion that First Person Shooters generally offer.

I don't mind the idea of being able to switch between the two in a game, but as the article alluded to that can be used as a total advantage (And was the bane of many a Quake player when that cheat was discovered), but only if you're a total dick and full-time lamer.

As long as you aren't stuck in Third Person, I have no qualms about it being an option. I wish I could say the same for only 2 player co-op 'Special Ops' mode...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
What's the point? Did anyone want this?

And yet just last week I signed a little known petition so that PC gamers can actually play with dedicated servers. It probably takes the same amount of effort, and is actually wanted.

Very odd.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Crunchy English said:
bue519 said:
Is this some kind of weird trolling? This post is about an entirely different part of the game. There's no reason for anyone to bring up this stupid argument again.

It's real easy. If you don't want the game that Infinity Ward made, don't buy it. Don't sit there and complain about the game they "might've made" or "should've made". Honestly, why won't people shut up and realize that just because there is such a thing as an Entertainment Company, they don't exist to entertain your every whim.

On the third-person thing, it's another option, which normally I'm in favour of. My worry is that this will split the base even more though. Some people will probably stick with Call of Duty 4, some might stick with WAW, and now the players that do upgrade will be cut between FPS and 3PS? That's a lot of ways to split the player base. I'm probably worrying for nothing, anyway you cut it, I probably won't have trouble filling a game.
Wow way to accuse and then state nearly the same view. I'm not asking for Infinity Ward to cater a game to me. It just seems that this Call of Duty managed to take an even larger dump on PC gamers than most console ports. I'm not really sure how thats trolling, I mean sorry if I'd rather have more maps (cause I can't make any) rather than a crappy perspective that hardly anyone will use. Besides I'm not really sure how a third person option will "split the player base" (I mean wouldn't people just not use that playlist?), I just see it as a tacked on addition that will for the most part probably go unused. So thanks for calling me a troll then complaining about the game.