Halo Fan Film Unveils Full-Scale "Warthog" Jeep

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Halo Fan Film Unveils Full-Scale "Warthog" Jeep

The creators of the fan-made Halo film "Operation Chastity" took to the show floor at the London Expo to show off their gorgeous hand-modified replica of the series' "Warthog" combat vehicle.

There's something to be said about the passion and creativity of hardcore fans. Who else would spend hundreds hours and thousands of dollars creating something that they're never going to see a single penny from (well, not legally, anyway)? Who knows how much time and money it took to convert an old Land Rover into a gorgeous, full-size M12 'Warthog' LRV from the Halo games for fan film "Operation Chastity" [http://operationchastity.com/]? It certainly wasn't quick, and it likely wasn't cheap.

Well, all right, we might not know how much money it cost, but we know how much time it took for workshop Custom Creations to turn a Land Rover into an all-terrain combat vehicle - the project was in development for a full year, reports Pixelated Geek [http://pixelatedgeek.com/2009/10/operation-chastity-unveil-warthog-to-the-london-masses/]. "Operation Chastity" writer/director/producer Peter Cooper, who unveiled the vehicle at the London Expo for all things geek-related, said the project is due to start filming in March, and he hopes to enter post-production by November of next year.

Oh, and Cooper expects the post-production to take eight months or so if all goes well. So, if everything goes as planned, we'll be seeing "Operation Chastity" in the second half of 2011. That's two years from now, and if the Warthog took a year to build ... yeah, this'll have been a labor of love three years in the making. And for what?

Fans sure are crazy.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
I need to drive that around the M25 for a half-hour, just to see what happens.

No! Drive it through Whitehall. I can see no way that driving a Warthog past Number 10 could be in any way a bad idea.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow.
Fans are crazy, but you gotta love em.
I hope things go well for him.
This looks to be really great.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I wonder what the insurance would be like on that thing? I can almost hear the telephone converstaion now.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Screw driveable Warthog,i want functional RYNO!

But that one is pretty sweet too. Shows what incredible feats people are capable of when they have too much free time.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
How much you want to bet someone is going to highjack that thing... HALO STYLE!!! Assuming you can drive it, of course.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Is it Operation [i/]Chastity[/i] because he can't get out of that suit? Or I'm I late to the whole making fun of the name party?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Psychosocial said:
I don't get it, you almost sound like you dislike them for doing what they find to be fun, Funk. Doing something like this could well open many doors in Hollywood for them, if it turns out to be at least decent.

If I had the time, money and skills to do that stuff, I'd definetely tag along. It seems like a fucking blast.
Not at all. Best of luck to them. I can understand doing something like that as a labor of love, but it's a mindblowing amount of dedication.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Am I crazy in thinking this movie might ACTUALLY be better than most full-fledged high-budget hollywood game-to-movie productions?

Mostly because these will be true die hard fans that, supposedly, get the game they're converting, and have to compensate the lack of budget with good'ol creativity and ingenuity?

...Or it'll suck so hard it'll implode, that's also possible... But the warthog looks amazing.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
That actually looks pretty badass. Fan films can be good if there is a lot of love and dedication involved.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuHMeoWu9n8

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Not to rain on these guys parade, but a fully functional Warthog was already built for the Halo movie short a couple years ago...soo while this is cool and all I gotta ask why they would bother with it if it's already been done.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Why are they crazy? Who wouldn't want a full-size model of something from a great video game?

blezerith

Aug 26, 2008
i was there when they unveiled it, pictures dont give this machine even half of the credit it should receive, that thing is freaking awesome!!!