EA Rickrolls Yahtzee

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
EA Rickrolls Yahtzee

Yahtzee was pretty angry at the package that EA sent him today, but don't worry - that was the whole point.

It seemed pretty obvious that the wooden box addressed to Yahtzee had something to do with Dante's Inferno, given that the inside of the lid read "The Fifth Circle of Hell Is Close." Members of The Escapist staff crowded around the box, eager to find out what was inside. We were somewhat bemused to discover nothing but a small burlap bundle containing safety goggles and a ball peen hammer.

Then the music began, and it all became horrifically clear.

"Never Gonna Give You Up..."

We all got a good chuckle as we realized that EA had just managed to Rickroll Yahtzee through the mail, but our laughter quickly died out when we discovered that closing the box didn't shut off the song. Yahtzee looked at us, then at the box, then at the hammer in his hand.

And then he got to work.

Strapping on the goggles (he is nothing if not conscientious about safety), he set about smashing the box. He had to break through three layers of wood, bones, and insects, but he finally got to the sound box's guts and yanked out one of the batteries. He also found a small scroll that had been tucked into the musical workings, which read:

The sin of wrath is yours. You have succumbed to anger and opened an infernal spring that seethes with dark waters. Quelled not, your anger begot rage. The waters have risen unchecked and ye will be drowned in stinking mire.

Go to Hell.

Ok, so the note is a bit heavy-handed, but I'm still giving this round of Dante's Inferno publicity a thumbs up for overall creativity and cleverness. Besides, it's not every day you get to see Yahtzee smash something to bits with a hammer.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Yeah. Blame the Uk->Aussie transplant for the broken EA gift box...suuuuuuuuuure.

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
Pffffffffft hahahahahaaha.

Oh wow. EA. This is the Redwood group of them that make good games right? I applaud you, you magnificent bastards.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Damnit; EA stole my idea. Except mine actually had Rick Astley in it, and he was armed with knives, so that he and Yahtzee would have a no holds barred battle!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Do we have video footage of Yahtzee smashing that box with a hammer?

But this is funny. Not quite laugh out loud funny, but very amusing to say the least.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Very funny joke. If only EA were as creative in their games as they are with their publicity stunts...

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Now that is clever.
All this Dante's Inferno advertisment is working, I wasn't even going to try the game out before, but I am now.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
It's good to see that people are still being creative with advertisement (Or whatever this counts as) these days, I doubt they'll earn points with Yahtzee though. Still awesome.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
You have to hand it to EA. Their marketing campaign for this game is absolutely genius.

And Yahtzee demolished that bloody box.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Crap.
I guess I shouldn't have just chucked that box in the fireplace.
Oh well, got a free hammer out of it at least.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Oh. Hm...*Throws grammar and spelling to the wind*

ROFLMAO THIS IS AMAZING. PWNT33 LOL1L!!!!!!!!!!!111!!

Eh-em.

That's funny.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
EA would have received a shipment of cookies after I read that, but I was feeling peckish...