Bad Company 2 Limited Edition Provides Early Multiplayer Advantages

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bad Company 2 Limited Edition Provides Early Multiplayer Advantages

Purchasing the Battlefield Bad Company 2 limited edition will get you six early unlocks that could be quite advantageous.

EA has just announced a limited edition of DICE's Battlefield: Bad Company 2 that will include six early weapon and customization unlocks to give day one players an advantage. While this immediately sounds unfair, the limited edition of the game will apparently go on sale for the same price as the regular edition, making me think that this is just an incentive for pre-orders rather than a way to grab some extra cash.

The accompanying video shows each unlock in action. From the press release, the limited edition will net you:

Four vehicle warfare unlocks
? Improved Vehicle Armor - An up-armor package is mounted on all vehicle types, decreasing the effect of both explosive and penetrating warheads, significantly improving vehicle survivability.
? Supreme Vehicle Firepower - Additional weapon packages are mounted for the driver of all armored vehicles, greatly expanding the range of targets the vehicle can successfully engage and destroy.
? Vehicle Motion Sensor - Use this electronics warfare package to locate enemy units in direct proximity to the vehicle.
? Tracer Dart Pistol - This magnetic dart attaches to any vehicle surface, allowing squad members to track, lock on, and fire rockets onto moving targets even beyond line of sight.

Two classic Battlefield 1943™ weapons
? M1A1 Submachine Gun - Reliable but heavy this classic weapon is a powerful force in the hands of any Battlefield veteran.
? M1911 Pistol - Highly customized M1911 are favored for its dependability and the power of its large .45 caliber round.

The item that stands out to me here is the Vehicle Motion Sensor, essentially a form of short distance radar. Adding increased vehicle armor and firepower to that mix seems like it could cause a stir. The M1911 Pistol also seems like it could provide a nice advantage. I'm not a heavy Bad Company player, so maybe these things are not as extreme as they appear to me. The key word to remember is that these are being billed as "early" and not "exclusive."

So are these limited edition advantages fair? If these items aren't naturally unlocked until later experience levels, some could be a little too hefty. I can understand developers and publishers needing desperately to get pre-orders and early sales of high-budget titles, but care also has to go into making sure too much isn't given away. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is scheduled to release in North America on March 2, 2010 and in Europe on March 5, 2010.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
If one thing irritates me about BF:BC it's the advantages given to special edition people. Yes it's a good reason to buy the game early, and more specifically that version, but it just makes the game unbalanced.

Tom Goldman said:
So are these limited edition advantages fair? If these items aren't naturally unlocked until later experience levels, some could be a little too hefty.
Well in the first one the Gold Edition people got some special guns for that edition but Battlefield veterans got guns that weren't unlockable even if you were at the highest rank.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I liked the orignal Bad Company style. It allowed you to gain extra weapons by playing earlier games and by signing up for something. Plus the Gold Edition guns really werent all that great, so it was more just to say i have them then to say I KILL YOU NOW...*****.

Atvomat_Nikonov

Jul 2, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
I'm not a heavy Bad Company player, so maybe these things are not as extreme as they appear to me. The key word to remember is that these are being billed as "early" and not "exclusive."
The first Bad Company gave you all the final gun unlocks if you bought the special edition. I didn't buy it, and it didn't seem unfair or that much of an advantage. Sure, the last level gun unlocks were fantastic, but those with them didnt dominate whatsoever. I'd assume BC2 will end up the same. Going of the original BC, you'll probably be able to unlock these vehicle warfare upgrades rather early on.

I just hope the M1A1 isn't exclusive to this special edition, I want that gun.

EDIT: Nevermind, twitter just answered my question.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Psychosocial said:
They fixed most of that veteran stuff anyways. There's only one gun left that you really NEED to be a veteran for. The others are available through codes you can easily find on the internet.
I guess my problem with that was they released the codes after a good amount of time passed. Albiet there weren't a ton of people with that gun, but if you were on the receiving end of that weapon, game over.
I just find it irritating that they have debalancing weapons in the game.
[small](If that didn't make any sense I'm sorry. Writing papers can take it outta you)[/small]

Apr 28, 2008
The first game did this, with unlockable guns anyway, and it didn't break gameplay at all.

Hell, some were arguably worse than the standard ones.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Wasn't there a controversy about this last year with the first one? Either way, it's not on my list for games to get, because the first one came out not too long ago.

Apr 28, 2008
Kalezian said:
also, I hate games without prone where it makes sense to have it.
From what I understand, the reason they didn't include prone was because it would make snipers pretty much invisable on most maps.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Maraveno said:
Tom Goldman said:
Four vehicle warfare unlocks
? Improved Vehicle Armor - An up-armor package is mounted on all vehicle types, decreasing the effect of both explosive and penetrating warheads, significantly improving vehicle survivability.
? Supreme Vehicle Firepower - Additional weapon packages are mounted for the driver of all armored vehicles, greatly expanding the range of targets the vehicle can successfully engage and destroy.
? Vehicle Motion Sensor - Use this electronics warfare package to locate enemy units in direct proximity to the vehicle.
? Tracer Dart Pistol - This magnetic dart attaches to any vehicle surface, allowing squad members to track, lock on, and fire rockets onto moving targets even beyond line of sight.

Two classic Battlefield 1943™ weapons
? M1A1 Submachine Gun - Reliable but heavy this classic weapon is a powerful force in the hands of any Battlefield veteran.
? M1911 Pistol - Highly customized M1911 are favored for its dependability and the power of its large .45 caliber round.
erhm why aren't the tracer dart and motion sensor standard issue for their respective soldier types anymore?
While BFBC1 heavy tanks all came standard with short range motion detectors most people didn't see the ping on their maps before they hit those AT mines or C4 charges. As for hidden infantry, if you're stupid enough to wait that close to a tank's path you deserve the death. The only person who should be anywhere near a tank is someone with a tracer dart in the first place (or a kamikaze C4 spec ops).

Based on what I saw the real deal breaker with the early upgrades will be the tank armor and coaxial. It means that tank drivers will have an unfair advantage in tank vs tank fights and infantry will be that much squishier. Granted the people who were masters of tank destruction from BFBC1 should still remain masters, the folks who were merely so so when dealing with infantry vs armor will be decimated.

Apr 28, 2008
Kalezian said:
Irridium said:
Kalezian said:
also, I hate games without prone where it makes sense to have it.
From what I understand, the reason they didn't include prone was because it would make snipers pretty much invisible on most maps.
Im pretty sure snipers are supposed to be invisible, you know, kinda goes with the job description:

by the way, distance to sniper is 5 meters in that picture.

That doesn't excuse them for making weapons that will kill you in one hit, not do so in the game, after all Im pretty sure if you got hit by this:

you would be dead, not able to run around a building and inject yourself with magic.

but back on topic, I really doubt any of those weapons will be over powered with the exception of better vehicle armor, now tank campers will just have more time to kill everyone.
Yes, but if snipers could go prone and be basically invisible in-game, everyone would be sniper, people would get bored, and stop playing the game.

And yeah, I agree, you would be dead in one hit if you got hit by those bullets, but they had to change it for game balance, because if it was 1 hit kills, everyone would use snipers.

Its all changed for game balance.