FarmVille Creates New Avenue for Videogame Pixel Artists

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
FarmVille Creates New Avenue for Videogame Pixel Artists

Do not play FarmVille, ever, if you treasure your soul. Do, however, look at this pixel art.

The coolest thing at school nowadays is FarmVille, an addicting Facebook game that will make you hate yourself in real time. Do you have a desire to throw hours of your life directly into the toilet, and then to urinate all over them? Or maybe to become a souless husk that can only think about how to arrange a group of banana trees? Play FarmVille. We're all doing it, man.

FarmVille allows "players" (I'll leave the debate about whether FarmVille is actually a game or not for another day) to grow crops and design their own farms, placing fencing, animals, buildings, trees, and other objects. Interestingly enough, something pretty cool has come out of FarmVille's design: the ability to create pixel art. There are a variety of colors of hay that can be used as uniform pixels, and some FarmVille users have created a selection of decent videogame-related art doing so. It does not excuse the devil's creation of FarmVille, but I still must acknowledge that this art exists.

Mario is a given for any form of pixel art, as we can see in the photo accompanying this post, in addition to Sonic and Knuckles [http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2146650&id=116980889217] fell in love through FarmVille? Now you do.

To see the entire album of videogame-inspired FarmVille pixel art, visit the Mona Lisa [http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=1&aid=98033&id=116980889217], which just seems like all sorts of wrong.

In closing, I want to recommend that nobody ever play FarmVille, even at the threat of their own life. The release of death is likely much sweeter than planting a full screen of daffodils day after day. I have to go throw up now, my coffee crop is ready for harvest.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Sounds like someone really depsises FarmVille......and I agree.

Mind you, it's about time someone found a use for this other than it eating your life.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Ah yes, Farmville...in comparison to that, I could almost view my time playing WoW as being as productive as acing an interview for a £40k a year job. Almost.

Good to see a productive use for Farmville though!

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
you just reminded me of my crops! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! they're all dead. *sniffle*

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I saw my brother playing that game the other day and just shook my head. Glad to see that someone found another use for it.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
YOU FOOL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

If even I am tempted to start playing this, obviously your pleas of restraint are not going to be enough!

I already know what piece of art I'm going to make, too, but I'm not telling anyone otherwise they'll steal my idea.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Wow, Facebook's ripping off Harvest Moon now? Weird. At least they're not claiming this is a 'brand new revolutionary idea.'

And that pixel art certainly is pretty! Though I pity the poor souls that made them.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Im ashamed to admit this but my dad plays this, he competes with his girlfriend. She was beating him so he changed her password for a while. So yes, Ashamed.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
I recently got dragged into this myself. Though now I have a goal I can work for. Wouldn't of thought of that myself.(Doesn't help that I only know of one hay bale color from my brothers OCD exp farming...)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Hey, Farmville is a nice little game to play around with once in a while :S

Pretty cool stuff, though, people will always find the most obscure thing to do with things that were never meant to be used that way.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
The link was sweet but, the Sonic and Knuckles............hopefully im just interperting wrong.(i hope so.)

ErGo

Feb 25, 2009
How is FarmVille addictive? I played it for four days and got utterly utterly utterly bored of it. Even at the second day I was playing it for the sake of ... I don't know, nothingtodoness. The finishing blow which made me quit that bloody thing was when I planted 50 strawberries and forgot to harvest them at the right time... is there something wrong with me, I cant seem to be able to get addicted to anything. Seriously, not WoW, not peggle, not bejewled, not even smoking.

Great art anyway. Loving pixel art more and more lately.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ErGo said:
How is FarmVille addictive? I played it for four days and got utterly utterly utterly bored of it. Even at the second day I was playing it for the sake of ... I don't know, nothingtodoness. The finishing blow which made me quit that bloody thing was when I planted 50 strawberries and forgot to harvest them at the right time... is there something wrong with me, I cant seem to be able to get addicted to anything. Seriously, not WoW, not peggle, not bejewled, not even smoking.

Great art anyway. Loving pixel art more and more lately.
It's something about working up to achieve that next object that you can show off to all of your Facebook friends, similar to raiding for that next piece of equipment in WoW. I started because of my girlfriend though, so my playing it comes from her. She's spent actual money on it, taking that next step down into another level of hell. I guess I enjoyed designing my farm, and writing "Poo," "Ass," and "Fart" in hay, but now that I'm done with that I'll probably quit soon.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
the people I know who play FarmVille don't own their own video game consoles or have a gaming pc so...idk
I'll pass...I'll feel bad enough when I think about how many hours of my life has already been devoted to gaming and traveling

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:

If even I am tempted to start playing this, obviously your pleas of restraint are not going to be enough!

I already know what piece of art I'm going to make, too, but I'm not telling anyone otherwise they'll steal my idea.
Pac-man?

OP: That just seems like a waste of time.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
wouldyoukindly99 said:
300lb. Samoan said:

Pac-man?

OP: That just seems like a waste of time.
Nope, not pac-man. Not video game related.

Waste of time? Farmville is a waste of time. It's even a waste of time for people who don't play it, because they have to wade thru all the damn messages it randomly sends out to people you know.

So now I've spent an hour making a pixelized version of my subject, and I've determined that I'll need 40125 coins to purchase all the hay it'll take to make this bastard. So I'm going to have to start harvesting shit like everyday for the next couple weeks. Thanks a lot OP, now I'm gonna drop out of college.