New Painkiller: Resurrection Demo Released

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Painkiller: Resurrection Demo Released

Painkiller: Resurrection [http://www.painkillerresurrection.com/], the sequel to Yahtzee's favorite Eastern European shooter, is now available over Steam along with a new and updated demo to replace the old one that was mistakenly released last week.

Kind of a funny story, really. Painkiller: Resurrection was so beloved by our very own Yahtzee Croshaw [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90840-Heavens-Hitman-is-Back-in-Painkiller-Resurrection], so news of the sequel attracted a little more attention than might otherwise be expected for a quirky Eastern European shooter.

But when the Painkiller: Resurrection demo came out last week, players noticed that something about it wasn't quite right. There was no multiplayer component and, to put it bluntly, it sort of sucked. A day or two later, somebody at JoWood finally noticed that the wrong demo had somehow slipped out the door: People were playing an old, incomplete version that, to put it bluntly, sucked. The company promised that the full and proper demo would be released the following week.

The updated demo is now available, as is the full version of the game. Unlike the previous Painkiller: Overdose, Resurrection looks very similar to the original game and includes many of the same weapons, but is built on a "completely reworked Painkiller 2.0 engine" capable of all-new shader effects, physics and more. The development team even had a Catholic priest advising its progress to ensure... well, I'm not entirely sure what, to be honest.

In any case, the demo is free so you can't go too wrong there. If, on the other hand, you want to leap face-first into the full-on Painkiller experience, here's some advice: Steam is currently offering Painkiller Collector's Pack [http://store.steampowered.com/app/39560/], which includes Painkiller Black (the original game plus the Battle Out of Hell expansion), Painkiller: Overdose and Painkiller: Resurrection for $34.99. Overdose was terrible, sure, but five bucks more for Painkiller Black? I think you know what to do.

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
A priest? How delightfully eccentric. Makes me wish I had some money to buy it with.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Cargando said:
A priest? How delightfully eccentric. Makes me wish I had some money to buy it with.
Haha, for keeping the demons of hell at bay, I am sure.

Another game I'll have to look into. Damn, my schedule is beginning to overflow.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Where can we get the PC version of the demo?
Edit: Nevermind, found it.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Looking good! Overdose was terrible (in a bad way) so I was glad to see that they went back to the original formula. I'm downloading the demo now from here [http://www.worthdownloading.com/download.php?gid=4430&id=20491].

...And it's 1.2 GB in size. The fuck? Eh, that's taking me too long. I'll just get it from Steam when they're ready.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Oooh, Painkiller. I'll have to give this a try. That is.....if I can find a good enough computer, there wouldn't happen to be a console version of this, would there?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Maybe they wanted a priest to show that it's not a "satanic game". Quite frankly, Painkiller's protagonist was fighting in a war between Heaven and Hell... And he was fighting for God.

Also I wonder if we, the Polish people, are getting the game for 20 PLN again. Mind you - that's about 5 EUR.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Malygris said:
But when the Painkiller: Resurrection demo came out last week
I'm sorry... what demo? I never heard anything about a demo... All I know is I preordered this game that was supposed to be released Tuesday, on Steam. Well, we got some demo or beta or some shit instead of the full version of the game... Or, so I heard... that is what I read on the full version since mine crashes when loading the first map...

GamingAwesome1 said:
Oooh, Painkiller. I'll have to give this a try. That is.....if I can find a good enough computer, there wouldn't happen to be a console version of this, would there?
There is of the old one, not sure about the new one...

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
GamingAwesome1 said:
My question exactly...

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
GamingAwesome1 said:
Really? What console?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Poopie McGhee said:
Assassin Xaero said:
GamingAwesome1 said:
Really? What console?
I'm pretty sure it is on xbox... Called Painkiller: Hell Wars or something... and, from what I've seen on another site, Resurrection is coming out on 360... But, the original Painkiller should work on most computers, it came out in 2004...

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I still boot up painkiller every now and then for a little demon slaughtering, might give this one a look.

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Poopie McGhee said:
Assassin Xaero said:
GamingAwesome1 said:
Really? What console?
I'm pretty sure it is on xbox... Called Painkiller: Hell Wars or something... and, from what I've seen on another site, Resurrection is coming out on 360... But, the original Painkiller should work on most computers, it came out in 2004...
You're right... Looked it up on GOG.com and the sys specs are low enough for even a netbook to run fine... :~) May look into it for the 'Box though... (I don't have a wired controller (for the computer))

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I don't know about the demo, but I certainly found the trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIRTxjSOqUk] to be absolutely uninspiring. Still, hey... the demo is free. Guess I'll download it.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Poopie McGhee said:
Assassin Xaero said:
GamingAwesome1 said:
Really? What console?
Yeah it was Hell Wars, I have it. Very good game for when you don't want to stop and think about everything and instead want to sit back, rev up the painkiller, and slice through hordes of monsters.

theownerer

Aug 9, 2009
Hope i can play this one i tried playing the first one but it was running like 3 times its normal speed.