Altered Allegiance

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Altered Allegiance

Can a dedicated PC Gamer make the change to consoles?

Read Full Article

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
So you've bought 6 games in the past month. I'd say that puts you more closely to the yahoo moms than the core of PC & console gamers.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
While I agree with you that we probably won't have another "1998," which had so many incredible games I could probably just play THEM for the rest of my life, I personally think that the PC still has plenty left in it before it's all thrown away to consoles.

The only real reason I'd switch to a console is for an exclusive; I'd prefer a keyboard and mouse for just about any game other than a 3D platformer (which still work with a keyboard and mouse, but it's personal preference). Or that they're easier, with "put in a disc and play the game" instead of the archaic rituals I would have to do for each new game I purchased, with a certain DLL not working, or some of the textures not loading, and the patch not applying, etc, etc...

And when computer games were that aggravating, and when my friends scoffed at me for actually knowing how to use DOS, that was when I could put in a cartridge and the shit would just work (unless I had to blow on it...)

Now it seems the role is reversed, with 360's breaking down, PS triples requiring installs taking several minutes, hard drives in the consoles, (yet they still don't let me save when I think I should be able to)...

Obviously, the PC has been dying to the "massive" audience it had, but it still has its role of "complex tactical RTS" and "fast-paced FPS" and, at least for a while until people realize that an MMO really -could- take off on a next-gen console, the "I need every button on my keyboard MMO."

As a former huge PC-only RPG person, I've gotta say that I've had good times with FFX and Shining Force as well as Daggerfall and Baldur's Gate. I haven't had the ability to play Halo Wars, but I have seen Supreme Commander for the 360, and I simply cannot believe the game was actually released the way it was. It really actually WAS a "threadbare silhouette" of what the PC version is. It's embarrassing to even think about, honestly. I really hope consoles get RTS "right," and I think the Wii is the system to start it on, but then I realize it'd probably hurt the arm, so it's back to the drawing board (or waiting for those new motion control systems, eh?)

I doubt you'll find any PC FPS that brings what Goldeneye 007 or Perfect Dark brought to the N64 (though No One Lives Forever was pretty awesome). At the same time, Consoles will never be able to have a Warsow, a Nexuiz, or any other open-source game/mod that's fast-paced and mouse-aim based.

I am a firm believer in the fact that certain interfaces are just better suited for certain playstyles, and although I miss the days that I had split-screen games on my PC, I realize that the one-TV multiplayer of today consists of FPS games I don't wanna play, Racers that I don't wanna play, Beat-'Em-Ups that would have ran in DOS, scrolling shooters that are too easy for my taste, or the one type of thing PC will never have done correctly: The rhythm game.

DJ Hero will not come out for PC, In the Groove was just a port, Guitar Hero 3's port was atrociously bad, and no Rock Band will come out for PC. Currently, that's pretty much it for recent ones, other than, say, Audiosurf... I think it is these type of peripheral-based participant-based games where having a couch to sit on and a controller to grab is really the best course of action, while I would never, ever find myself caught dead playing X-Com on anything but a PC. (Or a DS, hint hint, Nintendo...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really didn't mean to write that much about absolutely nothing. I could have just said "I generally disagree, interesting read though" and been done with it.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
"There was a time - let's call it 2007 - where I resolved that any game released on a console where there was likely to be a PC port was either worth waiting for the port or not worth my time. I did so, stubborn and full of self-righteousness at the purity of my chosen platform. To my mind, RPG and RTS games projected onto my television screen were threadbare silhouettes of what could be accomplished by my Windows enabled computer."

ok here is how it goes:

PC:
Shooter
Strategy
RPG
Simulation

Console:
Driving
Hack&slash (all fighting games, Dynasty Warriors, and God Of War)
Sports
Platformer

games under one category suck on the other

2000 is the end of Quality media, not just gaming

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Sean Sands said:
For the remainder of the year, Dragon Age is the only PC game remaining on my list, and I have a nagging feeling that if not for the potential mods, I would just go 360 with it.
Why would you do this terrible thing? If you have a PC capable of running it, why would you handicap yourself with ultimately inferior controls?
toapat said:
"There was a time - let's call it 2007 - where I resolved that any game released on a console where there was likely to be a PC port was either worth waiting for the port or not worth my time. I did so, stubborn and full of self-righteousness at the purity of my chosen platform. To my mind, RPG and RTS games projected onto my television screen were threadbare silhouettes of what could be accomplished by my Windows enabled computer."

ok here is how it goes:

PC:
Shooter
Strategy
RPG
Simulation

Console:
Driving
Hack&slash (all fighting games, Dynasty Warriors, and God Of War)
Sports
Platformer

games under one category suck on the other
Indeed, thats a good set of rules. The one exception that springs to mind is Borderlands PC - because of the ricidulously stupid decision to tie the multiplayer to GameSpy, I half think I should have got it on 360; but the whole game needs a good shake down to iron out the problems regardless. Good game, just bugged and hard to find a good match if you aren't playing with close friends.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Dobrev said:
So you've bought 6 games in the past month. I'd say that puts you more closely to the yahoo moms than the core of PC & console gamers.
I'd hardly say there were a plethora of games worth getting in october to be honest.

OT: There is of course no chance of another 1998, but I'll still stay on the PC gamer side, as consoles become more expensive and more like PCs, I believe that eventually consoles will be the death of consoles, as it gets to a point where the difference between a PC and a console is minimal and in the end there will be little point in differentiation between them, thus leading to a united design philosophy. Now that could be a good or bad thing... I still believe that gaming needs to develop as an art form and these days story, character and gameplay gets thrown out on it's arse in favour of shiny graphics, reminding me of a conversation I had with someone when WAR was about to come out.

Him:"WAR is out, its way better than WoW!"
Me:"Have you even played it yet?"
Him: "No."
Me: "It's not better, I was in the beta *gives reasons for not being better*
Him: "But it's got way better graphics."
Me: "Are you basing your decision on graphics by chance?"
Him: "Umm...yeah."
Me: "As opposed to gameplay?"
Him: "Graphics are way more important to me."

This is the attitude of the majority of people who play games these days, I long for the days when gaming was a shut in thing, at least then we could rely on Devs having to be creative given the majority of players were geeks, and we're extremely critical bastards, so they had to make a great game or else be shunned for evermore, these days bring out a shiny game that's shite and the Nu-gamers will eat it up, given they seem to have a pleasing factor of that of an excitable magpie.

and i've gone massively off topic, screw it Imma be late for work if I try to get back on track ><

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I really see no need to switch to consoles, if there is a game that has a PC version of it, I buy it no matter what genre without a second thought. Why? you might ask. The mouse and keyboard for me is second nature, and even if say a game doesn't work well with a mouse and keyboard, guess what I go out and invest in a $30 something 360 controller receiver for my PC, problem solved.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Interesting read. I'm just waiting for more PC elitists to comment so I can laugh at them, just like I laugh at the console fanboys....

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Dobrev said:
I've bought 2 games in the last month, World of Goo for a penny and FAllout 3

OT: I am pc gamer, I'm fine with it not being the best because in my mind it always will be, and to anyone who disagrees fuck you.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
If you truly believe what you write, get a playstation 3 or Wii. The XBox 360 is just too close to a low-end PC... games for the XBox 360 will either be ported to the PC, or a conscious decision was made not to port them, so screw them, unless you HAVE to play Halo.

On the PS3 you'll see games tailored to the strengths of that platform, which won't be straightforward PC ports, so you'll have a distinct console experience. You will quickly be overwhelmed by how much the Dual Shock controller sucks as a control device compared to the mouse and keyboard. You will also shortly realize that on consoles you are playing more interactive movies than actual games.

And you will come to realize the PC game platform is not dead, but a niche market. Consoles were there first, you remember the 2600 I bet, so it isn't like there was some golden age and the PC market share dominance probably never lasted more than a few years.

It still dominates the good games.

Whenever Blizzard reads PC gaming is dead or dying, I bet they laugh all the way to the bank.

BarefootGamer

Aug 23, 2009
All my life, I've been both a PC and a console gamer. For a long, long time I leaned more towards the PC and I do agree that certain genres (MMORPG and FPS) are way better there than on the console. But, that being said, I do love my Xbox too and make an effort to play as many games as possible on it.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Console are just limited PCs.
Why get both a computer and a console when you can have one machine that does it all ?
If you miss using a pad, get a USB pad.

The day I'm stucked on a console is the day I stop gaming, period.

mattman106

Aug 19, 2009
I am going to blow some minds here; you can use controllers with PCs. Also IMO the only reason to own a console is for console exclusives as pretty much every racing, fighting and sports game (which I agree you need a controller for) is available on PC and supports a controller on PC. For example I play GRiD on PC with a 360 pad because it looks prettier and runs smoother than on console. I play PGR4 on 360 because it isn't on PC.

When I look at my stack of 360 games there is not one game there that you can also get on PC.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
I generally prefer consoles for community-style gaming - that is, watching others play and vice versa; even single-player games can be quite entertaining. I was considering Dragon Age for just that, but at the time I had a really hard time pulling up a video featuring how the controls worked, which threw up a red flag for me. So instead I coughed up a pretty penny to overhaul my system for that and L4D2 (the other game I'm getting this season, a PC buy for sure for many, many reasons).

That said, I know I'm odd because otherwise, I've bought mostly DS titles and indie games this past year.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
I'm actually a former console-only, now hybrid gamer. I had played some here and there, but I didn't even get into PC gaming until around 2001 or so. I was happy with my console games from our Atari to my N64 to that point. But as friends are wont to do, one introduced me to some nifty PC titles, and MMOs, and I started delving into older PC games, as well as playing newer ones as they were released.

It's nice to see the other side of the coin, though I do agree that the PC has a lot left to offer, for every level of gamer.

BarefootGamer

Aug 23, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Console are just limited PCs.
Why get both a computer and a console when you can have one machine that does it all ?
If you miss using a pad, get a USB pad.

The day I'm stucked on a console is the day I stop gaming, period.
Both have their perks. Obviously, yeah, the PC does it all and a lot more. But there's something to be said for being able to sit on your couch in your PJs in front of a big TV playing a console. ;) Plus, I stream Hulu from my PC to my console and can watch my shows on my TV instead of a 19"(?) monitor. And I've never had to go buy a new $100+ video card to play a new game on a console.

Games generally tend to look better with that expensive graphics card though. And the keyboard and mouse are better for certain games. So, by owning both, I get the best of both worlds. :)

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I thankfully have never been too entrenched with either side, i have always had both although computers more in the early 90's and further back...but we won't go there.