Stolen Pixels #139: BorderLAN

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #139: BorderLAN

Hey, want to play some Borderlands multiplayer on your PC? No. You really don't.

Read Full Article

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
oh deh claptrap is soooo cuuuteeee!

Yeah, it's been quite a shock to find out that all these shenanigans about setting up a static ip, and forwarding ports via the router administration interface, was actually needed to play the games with friends who got the game on day 1. However It was a decent learning experience, but I guess not everyone is taking it as lightly as I did.

But ... yeah .... deh claptrap is sooooo cuuuuteeee!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Heh, pretty good explanation of all that Claptrap does.
I hate it so much. it's so damn annoying.
I was mortified when I discovered I couldn't kill it. well...

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Playing any games, especially multiplayer ones, on a PC is far far more difficult than it is on a console these days, but one thing remains the same: You can always rely on Gamespy to make it worse.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
You know, i heard alot of good things about Borderlands, this throws those all out and curb-stomps them a couple times. I haven't used Gamespy for, wow, 10 years

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
I too, was quite disappointed with the multiplayer in Borderlands. After going through all that, you were still lucky to find a game, and for some reason I'd keep losing connection with the host in MP, yet I can play UT3 and whatnot fine online. Annoying.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
cainx10a said:
oh deh claptrap is soooo cuuuteeee!

Yeah, it's been quite a shock to find out that all these shenanigans about setting up a static ip, and forwarding ports via the router administration interface, was actually needed to play the games with friends who got the game on day 1. However It was a decent learning experience, but I guess not everyone is taking it as lightly as I did.

But ... yeah .... deh claptrap is sooooo cuuuuteeee!
Yeah, maybe after hearing the whole "...check me out! I'm dancing!..." the first few times but after awhile I tried to kill the damn thing XD.

OT: Anybody else think the guradian angel is sexy?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
oh good it isnt just me, i went out of the way on my generosity trip and bought a version of the game to my pirate friend and my always-no-matter-what-broke friend so we could play together, and so far all we can do is sitting on skype talking about it.

fingers crossed that they make it work the tenth.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
unacomn said:
Be thankful it doesn't use Games for Windows Live.
do us pc gamers have to pay for multiplayer too?, only have DoW2 and fallout who uses it, and fallout is singleplayer and i hate multiplayer rts (i ALWAYS end up playing against some super human who got killer robots before i have trained one set of cannon fodder)

Ori Disciple

Oct 22, 2009
I wonder, is it the same when your using this game through STEAM?
If so, holy crap man...
I would expect this from the game made in the 90's, but not now
Its not like Online gaming for PC is something new.

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
Dont ever try to play Borderlands with strangers. Believe me it's way worse than playing alone.
Gamespy is tolerable only with friends.

Dedicated servers...i miss you

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
You can kick people btw, it's not intuitive but it is possible.

Hit esc.
Choose lobby
Using your keyboard (can't do this with mouse, go figure) select the player to kick
Hit delete
Confirm

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
saejox said:
Dont ever try to play Borderlands with strangers. Believe me it's way worse than playing alone.
Gamespy is tolerable only with friends.

Dedicated servers...i miss you
I host and play with strangers most of the time. Yeah, the FFA mindset is always present, but play nice with some, and it's amazing how they will play nice with you too. Gave some Random kid a Orange sniper rifle the other day, and he didn't even say thanks.

And some random person gave me a few shinnies the other day, we developed a little friendly relationship while we played, and played, and played and had fun.

You can't kill the FFA mentality though, unless you are playing with friends, then you can obviously set up rules based on who gets loot and what's not.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Important: Actually, you CAN kick poeple. I didn't find out about it until after I wrote the text. It's not a menu option like PC players are used to, but it's there.

So: The option exists. It's just hard to find. My bad.