Science!: Boobs or Butt and Black Holes (Again)

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Boobs or Butt and Black Holes (Again)

Inside: World's first artificial black hole created! Bracelets make decisions for you! A picture of a hot chick!

Read Full Article

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
Well that "black hole" concept sounds very useful.

And the emotion thing would just be funny. I'd enjoy watching people's as they get more and more worked up about things.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Man, what happened to those silly things like being self-critical and second-guessing your own decisions and motivations? Now we've got a bowl for that.

...wait a second, my bowl is saying that this topic is getting me agitated. I suppose I'd better go have a lie-down.

Also: I'm a face man. I don't discount a nice body, though! ;)

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
I read this ever week and it is good as always except one thing: they have invented a black hole? Does it have an extremely high gravity field? Does it absorb light? Does it affect surrounding objects?. No it doesn't. It absorbs microwave radiation.
So can the walls of the microwave in my kitchen.
Therefore it is not a black hole by any defination.
Otherwise awesome work

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
The microwave hole (not a black hole) showed up in Off-Topic a little while ago, way to miss your cue Lauren. Really, how can we take your section seriously if you don't read every other topic on the site to make sure it hasn't been done before.*
[sup]*sarcasm[/sup]

The EmoBowl and watch seem like more of a toy than a tool. Most people are capable of making decisions, and they don't need a pretty bowl to tell them their stressed. I would just use it for the mesmerizing factor.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
*facepalm*
The device described in the first section isn't a "black hole." It is a perfect (or near-perfect) absorber of light (at the correct frequency), which isn't unuseful, but it is by no stretch of the imagination a gravitational singularity.

Besides, we already have LASER-modified silicon surfaces that do the same thing ("black silicon"); lots of nanoscale ridges on the surface trap the light.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Acidwell said:
I read this ever week and it is good as always except one thing: they have invented a black hole? Does it have an extremely high gravity field? Does it absorb light? Does it affect surrounding objects?. No it doesn't. It absorbs microwave radiation.
Otherwise awesome work
Well, microwaves generated by a microwave are absorbed by the water, fats, and sugars in the food, and converted into heat energy, thus cooking your food. So, the microwave isn't really capturing microwaves, or absorbing them. The microwaves are converted into energy, which is different than being absorbed and trapped in a metamaterial.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
shark77 said:
*facepalm*
The device described in the first section isn't a "black hole." It is a perfect (or near-perfect) absorber of light (at the correct frequency), which isn't unuseful, but it is by no stretch of the imagination a gravitational singularity.

Besides, we already have LASER-modified silicon surfaces that do the same thing ("black silicon"); lots of nanoscale ridges on the surface trap the light.
I agree, essentially. But "Scientists create first Artificial Black Hole" reads better than "Scientists Create MetaMaterial that Absorbs Microwaves and Traps Them, Which is Like a Black Hole, But Not Really." :p

It's essentially just a lure to draw readers in, give them something recognizable to compare the concept to, and teach them something in the process.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
the whole emo-braclet/bowl thing looks quite cool as its the most plausible of the idea's this week. Cool stuff!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Lauren Admire is a Cylon.
It's useless, Admire. Any robot worth his microchips can tell you are a flimsy human due to your thermal signature and whatnot. (And I will continue to call you Admire so I can make stupid puns on demand.)

China, eh? Chinese discoveries suprisingly often end up with their scientists shuffling their feet and pretending to look under their desks for a pencil when asked for hard evidence. Was this one really confirmed? I, being a very busy person, cannot go assert this myself, for I have just acquired the rope I require to retrieve a very important water chip and must soon be elsewhere.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
Lauren Admire said:
shark77 said:
*facepalm*

I agree, essentially. But "Scientists create first Artificial Black Hole" reads better than "Scientists Create MetaMaterial that Absorbs Microwaves and Traps Them, Which is Like a Black Hole, But Not Really." :p

It's essentially just a lure to draw readers in, give them something recognizable to compare the concept to, and teach them something in the process.
It's mainly the tone of the last paragraph that got me to facepalm. The danger of masses collapsing to singularities isn't in that they are dark. Metamaterials are really cool, and though the misleading catchy title is understandable (even expected in news articles), the article didn't read like the distinction had been noticed.

EDIT: It's not that the column is bad; it just needs more explication and clarification.
Frex, I found this terribly hilarious:
He actually lives in a surprisingly normal-looking home; I just assumed that all investors dwelled in deep underground lairs adorned with walls of TV's broadcasting global trends, ever-ringing phones and monkey henchmen performing intricate calculations to determine every minute trend change in the stock exchanges.

Color me disappointed.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
If they plan on selling any EmoBowls, I recommend changing the name.

And really, a piece of home decor that periodically changes color? Talk about a feng shui nightmare!

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Lauren Admire said:
Acidwell said:
Otherwise awesome work
Well, microwaves generated by a microwave are absorbed by the water, fats, and sugars in the food, and converted into heat energy, thus cooking your food. So, the microwave isn't really capturing microwaves, or absorbing them. The microwaves are converted into energy, which is different than being absorbed and trapped in a metamaterial.

I phrased that post badly but this post and reply put to rest the arguement i was trying to make :)
Lauren Admire said:
shark77 said:
*facepalm*

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Hehe, I like my girlfriends to have nice hair. Nice hair comes before face, then boobs, then ass. Personality will, of course, be given due consideration once we get chatting. :)

I love the idea of using metamaterials for invisibility. I wouldn't mind having my very own invisibility cloak. On that note, would the materials work if they had a certain fluidity to them, like fabric? Or would they have to be solid to get the right effect?