Reflections of Revolution: Christian Gossett, The Red Star

Shannon Drake

Jul 11, 2006
Reflections of Revolution: Christian Gossett, The Red Star

TE: How much experience did you have with the gaming industry prior to the Red Star game? Was there anything that really surprised you? How does it compare with comics and other industries you've worked in?

CG: I've worked in games since PS1. I started at Activision in 1996. The Red Star was my first time as licensor, though, which was a nice change. I like being at the decision making level. Having worked my way up from a drawing table doing character designs and environment sketches, it was great to have open access to all of the different teams.

As for surprises? Well, my personal staff was really on the ball the whole time. Not even Acclaim kicking the bucket two weeks before release was much of a surprise.

TE: Do you have any plans for future expansion of the Red Star storyline? Will it just be comics and the videogame, or are you developing it for other mediums?

CG: The Red Star currently has three different graphic novels available on the market, and a few shorter special issues. I'm currently writing and drawing the next chapter, which has the distinction of being a collaboration with the world famous Weta Workshop New Zealand, the designers who did such an excellent job designing the Lord of the Rings films.

Other than the series, we're currently in early development as a live action feature with Universal.

As for videogames, as much as I can't wait to get a new one started, getting this one out has been a hard fought victory, and I'm going to let myself enjoy it just a liiiittle bit longer ...