New Zelda Will Use Wii Motion Plus For Swordplay

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Zelda Will Use Wii Motion Plus For Swordplay

We may not know much about the next Legend of Zelda title, but thanks to Shigeru Miyamoto we know that it will take advantage of the Wii MotionPlus to properly mimic swordplay.

When it comes to the new Legend of Zelda that Nintendo is developing for the Wii, the unknowns definitely outweigh what little we actually know. All we have to go on is a be radically different from the series' roots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92234-Your-First-Look-at-the-New-Zelda].

One thing that will be different, though, is that the title will properly use the Wii Motion lus for supposedly accurate and authentic-feeling swordfighting, said Nintendo mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto in a recent Q&A panel: "We're using MotionPlus to make you feel much more like you're actually fighting while holding a sword in your hand."

So, if we're reading this right, instead of pressing a button or flicking the Wii Remote to have Link swing the Master Sword, the MotionPlus will let you feel like you're actually a slender young elfish boy in tights waving your sword around (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course). Presumably the game will also feature a standard control scheme for those of us who either don't have a MotionPlus, or who are feeling too lazy to stand up and swordfight.

Miyamoto also said that the MotionPlus would make the game's targeting more accurate: "In the previous game, you aimed at things by pointing at the screen, but this time we'll use MotionPlus to create a much more convenient targeting system and a more pleasurable playing experience."

What, Z-targeting wasn't good enough for these guys? Gamers these days - so spoiled, the lot of you! But as how they'll actually work the MotionPlus targeting... your guess is as good as mine, folks.

(CVG [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/091030qa/index.html])

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Frick. So now I have to get a motion plus if I want the full feeling of the game?
Oh well, my step-mum will probably get it. She's a wii-maniac.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
*sniffle*Z-Targeting was good enough for me...*sniffle*

Of course, the only way I'll be getting a Motion Plus is if it comes with the game, which I somehow doubt. I certainly hope that there will be a "classic" control scheme available.
[small]What did he mean by "pleasurable"?[/small]

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
SuperMse said:
Wait, so how are we going to aim now if not by pointing at the screen? Do we throw our wiimotes at the T.V.?
That's how you throw bombs/jars/rocks in the game :p

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
So the new Zelda game will use the motion plus for sword fighting..
Not so much news as it is like saying:

"Hey! it's exactly like you'd think it would be! If you weren't born under a rock in a cave in the backwoods... Of an asteroid..."

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
god z targeting is the shiz. I really miss just pressing z and homing in on whateve. Now I have to fiddle with about 2 joysticks or waggle my arm about. I wish I could still use my old nintendo controller XD

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Hithlain said:
god z targeting is the shiz. I really miss just pressing z and homing in on whateve. Now I have to fiddle with about 2 joysticks or waggle my arm about. I wish I could still use my old nintendo controller XD
It's why the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess was worlds better than the Wii version. It was way easier to control.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
So, if we're reading this right, instead of pressing a button or flicking the Wii Remote to have Link swing the Master Sword, the MotionPlus will let you feel like you're actually a slender young elfish boy in tights waving your sword around (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course).
But how will it make me feel if I already am a slender young elfish boy in tights occasionally waving around a sword?

I'm all for this design choice. It'll be such wonderful fun seeing Link use my style to fight evil.

simply_simple

Aug 28, 2008
Magnatek said:
Of course, the only way I'll be getting a Motion Plus is if it comes with the game, which I somehow doubt.[/small]
I think that if the game uses Wii motion plus exclusively then it'll definately be bundled with the game, look at Wii Sports Resort, Tiger Woods 10, Grand Slam Tennis and (soon) Red Steel 2.
I think it's the same principle as the Wii fit board, if the games uses it and there's no substitute then they bundle the peripheral in.

Shattubatu

May 13, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Is it bad that all I'm thinking is how lame it is that Link is now right-handed?
Actually, in some games he's left handed. OT, this is why I bought the Wii, I thought it would let me get closer to the game and allow more interesting fights than just hammering out combos.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm worried that while the MotionPlus may allow for more accurate motion, it won't make an ounce of difference in the grand scheme of combat. Prove me wrong, Nintendo.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Without force feeback you will not be able to accutatly simulate sword fighting in a video game. I don't expect anything more than a continuation of the random flailing that has made the wii so popular to this point.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
the new nintendo game will use the new nintendo hardware?, this news didn't really take my breath away.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Hithlain said:
It's why the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess was worlds better than the Wii version. It was way easier to control.
*Shrug* I found the Wii controls to be much easier more immersive. It's a matter of opinion I suppose.
Shattubatu said:
ZeroMachine said:
Is it bad that all I'm thinking is how lame it is that Link is now right-handed?
Actually, in some games he's left handed. OT, this is why I bought the Wii, I thought it would let me get closer to the game and allow more interesting fights than just hammering out combos.
In every game before TP Link was left-handed; I think that was what ZeroMachine was saying.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
... I'm the same here... And the closer to 1:1 control it gets, the more worried this change makes me.

They better implement it as a proper option, because I'll go nuts trying to play it right-handed...

Miyamoto also said that the MotionPlus would make the game's targeting more accurate: "In the previous game, you aimed at things by pointing at the screen, but this time we'll use MotionPlus to create a much more convenient targeting system and a more pleasurable playing experience."
... Finally. Now, I understand from the technology that motionplus would be needed for this to be possible, it was precisely what my wishful thinking led to before the Wii was originally released.

I thought... Let's say you have an FPS, and can actually aim the gun off-screen? Wouldn't that be cool? (if somewhat redundant, in most cases.)

Why not shoot someone sneaking up behind you...

But... Then the limitations of the original hardware showed that to be impractical, so... My wishful thinking killed that.
But now... It seems Miyamoto is more or less thinking the same thing. Should be good. XD.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Curses, now I need to be better at something else than button mashing. Damn you Nintendo, for making me learn how to wave a stick around.