Ubisoft to Silent Hunter Community: Do Legwork for Patch, or Else

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Ubisoft to Silent Hunter Community: Do Legwork for Patch, or Else

Ubisoft's debacle with Silent Hunter 4 has taken the industry's game-patching propensities to a new level.

Gamers - PC gamers, in particular - have bemoaned the procession of patches following their favorite releases for many years. Even the best titles often require a patch, and then a patch to patch the patch, to tweak balance issues or fix critical bugs with certain system specifications.

Matters have seemingly sunk to a new low, however, with Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific, published by Ubisoft.

In a message posted by a Ubisoft forum moderator [http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/2591031065], this was bluntly announced: "We apologize for not posting news on patch 1.3 for Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific. This is because it is currently uncertain if there WILL be a patch 1.3."

The submarine simulation, widely believed by its player base to be ridden with major bugs, is apparently going to lose all support in the near future, and so developers are asking the gamers themselves to compile a list of the "top ten to fifteen fixes [sic] which are hard coded in the game and cannot be fixed through a mod."

The forum missive also asks gamers to vote in various polls and petition threads by May 28 to convince the higher-ups that a patch is, in fact, needed.

Unsurprisingly, responses in the thread were less than jovial.

One user wrote: "But I must tell you I am officially done with UBISOFT games after this debacle. The game is still clearly broken and UBI isn't even sure if they will release another patch? That is just disgraceful."

Another poster opined: "I NEVER post on forums for games I play--this is the first for years. However, I have never felt as ripped off as I do by this game. It has fantastic potential. But UBI should be ashamed for releasing it in the original state and not patching it well. I will not likely ever buy another UBI product unless this is remedied and soon."

Silent Hunter 4 is a World War II submarine warfare simulation set in the Pacific theater released in March of this year.

minsc_tdp

May 24, 2007
Welcome to last week. Of course, not much has changed since this, and Ubi is completely silent on the matter, and there's still no patch, and the usually nice subsim people are completely up in arms about it, and this is one of the most insulting things I've ever seen a company do. Anyway it's good to see this getting reported around more than just the sub sim community.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
This may be "last week" if you're a member of the insular sim community, but those of us who don't play the game, nor are members of forum communities supporting it have just heard this news. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I have lots of hobbies you've probably never heard of either.

But here's the thing, Ubi was probably counting on the insularity of the Silent Hunter community when proposing such an asinine solution to the problems with their game. Ordinarily I wouldn't care too much about problems with a game I don't play, but this is a pretty bad deal, and I'm right there with you being annoyed by it.

Can you imagine how big the uproar would be if Ubi released a Splinter Cell game with the kinds of bugs that appear to be present in Silent Hunter 4 and then refused to offer more patches? Bad juju.

Jucie [deprecated]

May 24, 2007
Hey guys,
Neal Stevens and Subsim have succeded in getting ubisoft to start on a new patch for SHIV. There were over 1300 people who signed a petition in a week, and today we got the news SH will get a 3rd patch to fix all the problems.

more info here: http://www.subsim.com

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
That's great news. Let's hope it doesn't add more problems than it fixes, and Ubi continues to support the community that has remained so loyal.