Digital Distributors Boycott Modern Warfare 2

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Digital Distributors Boycott Modern Warfare 2

Direct2Drive and other digital distributors refuse to sell Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 citing the need to install Steamworks as why.

The boycott is directed at Infinity Ward's decision to use Valve's Steamworks to authenticate and update Modern Warfare 2. Steam, as a digital delivery system, is in direct competition with Direct2Drive and selling the game would essentially be endorsing their competitor. Direct2Drive seems to have led a revolt against Steam, as VE3D confirms [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/51233/Stardocks-Impulse-Service-Refuses-To-Sell-Modern-Warfare-2-As-Does-Gamersgate] that both Gamersgate and Impulse have embargoed MW2 for the exact same reasons.

From the announcement on the Direct2Drive page that would have sold MW2 [http://www.direct2drive.com/2/8687/product/Buy-Call-of-Duty:-Modern-Warfare-2-Download%3Cbr%20/%3E]:

At Direct2Drive, we believe strongly that when you buy a game from us, you shouldn't be forced to install and run a 3rd party software client to be able to play the game you purchased. Because COD MW 2 requires you, the consumer, to do that, we aren't able to offer the game via Direct2Drive at this time.

It's a bold move to refuse to sell what many predict is going to be the biggest game of the holiday season and what Activision itself touts as the "biggest entertainment launch of all time." Just like shooting yourself in the foot is a bold move.

But in a show of class, and to show Activision that it's still on board with selling their other games, Direct2Drive is offering a coupon for $5 off any other Activision title until November 30th. So if you had your heart set on buying MW2 through Direct2Drive, at least you got that going for you now, which is nice.

via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25944]

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Logic solution but why don't just give in to Steam. It rulezz!!

Except the pricetag on 59.99 ?...

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Thats weird, when i bought Saints Row 2 (for $5 before any one shouts) from D2D i had to install it on Steam.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
Well done D2D! Steam is still brilliant... I love Steam... I get most my games from Steam... D2D still made the right move.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
No objections here - I'd rather Steam not take a monopoly on Digital Distribution. Don't get me wrong, I like Steam and I continue to use it, but as always, competition breeds improvement and monopolies do not.

Ranooth said:
Thats weird, when i bought Saints Row 2 (for $5 before any one shouts) from D2D i had to install it on Steam.
SR2 isn't as popular as MW2, I assume they did it now to make a bigger 'splash' so to speak.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
With MW 2 about to be the biggest flop in history (im not going to explain it, look around, theres tons of threads about it) I would say they did the right thing

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
I can see where they are coming from - and I agree with Amnestic regarding monopolies. But this particular move isn't going to help them. It's not like Steamworks will suddenly be pulled from the product because D2D isn't selling it; and with MW2 being what it is, they'll just end up losing a whole lot of money from people still using their services in this Steam-age.

EDIT:
Also,
Furioso said:
With MW 2 about to be the biggest flop in history (im not going to explain it, look around, theres tons of threads about it) I would say they did the right thing
Yeah... we'll just have to see about that one.

C0nn0r666

Oct 19, 2008
Furioso said:
Biggest flop? your forgetting a the console player that are'nt really pissed off.(except for the whole removing party chat thing)

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
Doesn't seem very smart. Refusing to sell the game because it "endorses" their competition will just end up with all potential MW2 customers being sent directly to their competitor.

But whatever, Steam is better than D2D anyway.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Oh yes because this will most certainly hurt the sale of the game........ LOL!
Dumbass move D2D. Its like saying "No I dont want free money." You need to understand that Steam is going to walk all over you every time. It really is just better.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Croaker42 said:
Oh yes because this will most certainly hurt the sale of the game........ LOL!
Dumbass move D2D. Its like saying "No I dont want free money." You need to understand that Steam is going to walk all over you every time. It really is just better.
EU players will take D2D over Steam any day, any time.

I don't think I ever bought a full-priced game from Steam except for Team Fortress 2. Even then I managed to get it for 20 USD instead of 20 EUR, before they changed the prices for no reason and no purpose other than to rip people off.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I don't use digital distribution, but I can see why they're angry.
Why is there so much controversy with MW2?

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
If all this crap was being so integrated into Steam, why not just make it a Steam exclusive? This is basically exclusivity by force. IW didn't have the foresight to create a non-steam DD version of this game?

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Why are people advocating for market monopoly? Did the world suddenly decide to drop capitalism while I wasn't looking?

Not surprizing really. Not too much sense hosting something to promote your competitor and playing yourself out of the market.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Pingieking said:
Why are people advocating for market monopoly? Did the world suddenly decide to drop capitalism while I wasn't looking?

Not surprizing really. Not too much sense hosting something to promote your competitor and playing yourself out of the market.
the problem here is that steam is the most popular not because they are involved in shady business pracitices but because they offer a better service than their competitors. if direct2drive, impulse and others want to compete with steam they have to do what valve is doing and offer a service thats as easy to use and as feature rich as steam is, something that NONE of its competitors offer. impulse, d2d, gamersgate, etc. all have one thing in common and that is that all they offer is a digital distribution platform. none of them have community features as steam has, none of them have anything like steamworks, vac, etc integrated into the platform as valve has done.

valve has gotten a monopoly because they offer a more comprehensive service with a single application, not because of shady business practices, and valve, despite having such high market share in this area, is constantly improving steam in every way. this is the epitome of capatalism really, offer a better product and reap the rewards.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I'd sooner buy a game through Steam than D2D anyway, so its not a huge loss. Steam is an awesome content distritbution system and its little surprise MW2 has decided to go through that (especially considering all the measures they're taking to avoid piracy, and the level of protection Steam offers inherently).
Nice of D2D to make the stand, but I cant see it causing people to stop buying it from Steam. I imagine the real reason is that they'd have to stay below or equal with Steam's price for the game if they sold it, as if they were more expensive people would just skip them out completely and buy from Steam.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Greg Tito said:
So if you had your heart set on buying MW2 through Direct2Drive, at least you got that going for you now, which is nice.
I dunno it's not as good as total consciousness when I die or anything.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
When DD service that actually matters and treats their customers decently boycotts MW2 PC tell me, otherwise this is just boring.

@Amnestic

In many situations competition is good, but when discussing the acceptance and quality of a platform, above all else, standards are key. Standards are the reason why Windows is so widely accepted and are the primary explanation of why consoles are so popular.

If you have 3-4 equally competitive DD(digital distribution) services, you have 3-4 equally popular standards.(even 3-4 isn't technically competitive as it would still be an oligopoly) That means that there are 3-4 standards that PC games now have to be programed to work with on top of the Dx API and optimization all for a moderate increase in sales.(DD hasn't dethroned retail by a long shot)

Now, since the companies in question are separate they each have their own distinct standard. After all, if they all operated like D2D or Steam they would essentially be the same service with a different name(not to mention the lawsuits and licensing fees).

Steam is the dominant service for a reason, they pay developers a reasonable royalty(unlike retail), they don't rape the customers up the bum(like D2D), and they are not a fledgling copycat(like Impulse)(gross over-simplifications on all examples... well except retail, EA and Activision have no qualms about paying devs next to nothing; almost reminds me of a pre-Fair Trade South America[FT still hasn't taken off to well :s]) If Steam maintains dominance by providing a better service for all involved, I have no problem with Steam becoming the DD standard.

Ehh... sort of a rambling nonsense, but I haven't had any caffeine in a few days and am about ready to kill someone. So, if you will excuse me!