Oh, I Want to Be in That Number

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Oh, I Want to Be in That Number

When MovieBob meets Troy Duffy, director of "Boondock Saints," he expects to meet a cautionary tale of what not to do after your movie becomes an unexpected hit.

Read Full Article

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
... When the saints come marching in.

Ahem... Sorry about that...

Great article! And apparently, I've been spending too much time on the Internet.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Loved the article Bob.

My Brother went to film school and is what I consider a movie snob (film styles camara shots etc) and the Saints is the only movie he will sit through quitely.

I wish I knew what it was about this movie that make us so crazy for it? Maybe it is that it was never meant to be ground breaking. I knew the moment I saw Billy for the first time I knew it was only going to get better.

Connely is just an amazing actor/comedian and I suggest everyone to look some of his stuff up.

Looking forward to seeing this new Saints. Hopefully I get to watch it in cinema somewhere.. in Canada. LOL.

Andreyblade

Jul 14, 2009
just watched yesterday the first Boondock after seeing you review, it was brilliant :) let's hope it comes out in my country before I get any older
great article as always, keep up the good work

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Oh I cannot wait to watch this movie. It didn't open up in my town so I'm hoping that it either expands to new horizons or else I'm gonna road trip it to the nearest town that's playing it. I'm not! going to wait until the VOD picks it up or until the DVD is released.

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
Great article again, TGO. I've been waiting for this movie for a long time, can't wait... so close!

hathfallen

Nov 7, 2007
so, did anyone there even ask him about Overnight?

or did you just blow them all and walk away?

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
Wow, hathfallen would appear to be in the shadow of the banhammer after only 8 posts, not bad...

MovieBob said:
When MovieBob meets Troy Duffy, director of "Boondock Saints," he expects to meet a cautionary tale of what not to do after your movie becomes an unexpected hit.

Anyway, as an aspiring filmmaker myself, I love reading articles like this one about other directors and writers' experiences and try to learn something from them. I think what I gleaned from Bob's article is when you're a fledgling director, don't let your ego hit your ass on the way out. Damn, I have to remember that one for my next actress audition. Sometimes knowing what not to do is more useful information, methinks.

Fortunately for me, although my own ego is gigantic I don't think I'm destined to be the saviour of modern cinema. Yet. I do however have several original (yes, I get the irony of that statement) ideas for short films and a feature or two up my sleeve.

I come from the Robert Rodriguez school of filmmaking (If you haven't read "Rebel Without a Crew," go get it. Now. I'll wait.) and I've had to deal with people like Bretty's brother a lot, since all my experience comes from well, experience and the fact that I shoot on digital video rather than film. I've also been lucky enough to be a permitee with IATSE, which has gotten me onto a lot of film sets. You'd be amazed how much you can learn from the crew, especially when they find out you're interested in what they do. Film school, feh.

One obvious film school dickhead I was talking to actually said "Well I guess that doesn't make you a filmmaker, does it?" when I told him I shot my student film (I went to multimedia college, not film school) on 24 FPS High Definition video. I looked him in the eye, said "Steven Soderberg, Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino" and walked away.

Anyone who says that digital video won't replace film can bite my shiny metal ass. [http://www.badlanguage.net/steven-spielberg-can-retire-digital-video-is-taking-over]

I think what I'm trying to say is fuck film school. Fuck it right in the ear.

But I digress.

I would love to be able to put together a cast with the kind of easy chemistry that these guys have. That's a director's dream is to just be able to wind their actors up and watch them go. Its obvious that there's a lot of respect in their group and that's important because it will come out in their performances. In the first movie you really believed that Flanery and Reedus were brothers, because that's how brothers behave. Getting a performance like that out of an actor can't be an easy thing to do, unless of course you luck out and have the right actors... Wow do I ever have a firm grasp of the obvious.

I don't know that much about Troy Duffy, but judging from this article, I'd like to know more.

hathfallen

Nov 7, 2007
Undercover said:
Wow, hathfallen would appear to be in the shadow of the banhammer after only 8 posts, not bad...
if I'm to be victim of a ban I'd hope it wouldn't be for telling a critic to do his job instead of basking in an entertainer's charisma. Bob's a good writer (though his video production needs a little work) and with his kind of wit he should be turning screws instead of kissing asses. Troy Duffy is not going to get him places if social climbing is even was he was after with this rimjob article.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I noticed the unusual demeanor of Duffy in the movie Overnight itself. When Duffy was hanging out with his friends (or whatever they were to him) he was confrontational, guarded, and really outspoken. It was a constant battle, with him badmouthing this person or that, giving shit to this person or that person. But in the few scenes that show him finally shooting the movie, he's a completely different person - a humble and friendly professional. Look at Boondock Saints 2. A lot of the original cast is in that movie, so the guy can't be that big of a dick when he's working.

It reminds me of the dynamics I've seen in social groups in my own life. To be the director in a group of friends often requires a great deal of intimidation (and general assholishness), since everyone is of equal standing. So, Duffy gets the chance of a lifetime to make a movie, and he wants to be the type of a guy who brings his buddies along. In order to direct the movie, put out an album, and make a documentary he had to fight to crush everyone else's egos and opinions in the process to try to get it done. I'm not defending him, but I think I understand it more.

That, and the drinking didn't help either.

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
hathfallen said:
Undercover said:
if I'm to be victim of a ban I'd hope it wouldn't be for telling a critic to do his job instead of basking in an entertainer's charisma. Bob's a good writer (though his video production needs a little work) and with his kind of wit he should be turning screws instead of kissing asses. Troy Duffy is not going to get him places if social climbing is even was he was after with this rimjob article.
Look, you're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else, but a ban wouldn't be for "Telling a critic to do his job", it would be for doing it in an insulting and defamatory way like you did, that was my point. And if you're wondering, no I didn't report your post.

And as far as this article being "ass-kissy," have you ever done an interview with a director or actor with a reputation for being "sensitive" about certain subjects, who's on a tight schedule and you have about 15 minutes to complete it? More often than not the actor/director's publicist has laid out ground rules for the interview and if you don't abide by them, the interview's over.

What better way to bring a story to a screeching halt than to piss off the person you're interviewing, fuck up your article, waste everyone's time, get the reputation of being an inflammatory dick and probably losing your job because of all the angry phone calls and eMails to your editor. It's all politics, man.

But no, you're right, Bob totally should have gone there. The hell with his career and reputation.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
FWIW, no, no one specifically asked him about "Overnight," though references to 'reputation' and having gone through an 'ordeal' came pretty consistently from the crew side. Was it on my list of potential questions? Yes. Was it at the top? Frankly, no, and when it became clear to me I was probably going to get one direct question out this I was more interested in asking about Gerry Parkes. Right call? That's up to the readers, I guess, but it's my call and I stand by it.

Truth be told, for me the "story" upon concluding the event WAS how much Duffy appears to have grown as both a filmmaker and public-figure since that particular infamy.

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
hathfallen said:
so, did anyone there even ask him about Overnight?

or did you just blow them all and walk away?
Yea dude, I dunno. I really liked the article. It wasn't about being a dick to a guy you don't know, i took away that it was about how our social filters can save or ruin us. The whole point of not saying "wow I've never met a cautionary tale before" is because Movie Bob is sorta in the same place that Duffy was in during the Boondock Saints era. Movie Bob has a cushy new gig being a writer for an internet site that is growing and he DOESN'T want to fuck it up by being a dick to industry people, UNLIKE what "Overnight" was all about and Duffy allegedly did. Don't be such a jerk and incite flame.

Movie Bob, great article as always. I really do enjoy your writing style. As a Boston (well Newton) guy, what pub was it? Movie industry people I would assume Ned Divine's....