Spirit Tracks Trailer Reveals Zelda's Secret

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Spirit Tracks Trailer Reveals Zelda's Secret

[gametrailers=58651]

In The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, there is more to Zelda than meets the eye. No, she doesn't transform into a car.

This new Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks trailer shows us that Zelda will co-star right alongside Link for presumably the entire game, partially taking on a companion role similar to that of Navi. However, Zelda will also have the power to do much more than fly around your head and yell "Hey!" In Spirit Tracks, Zelda can possess enemies to help Link get through certain parts of the game's dungeons.

In the trailer, Zelda gets zapped by an enemy's powerful magic, turning her into a sort of spirit. Part of Link's goal in Spirit Tracks is likely to change Zelda back to normal, though Zelda's form does allow her the power of possession. This power could be limited to only the phantom knights shown in the trailer, but it would be very cool if she could inhabit other forms as well.

It's nice to see that Spirit Tracks will be more than Phantom Hourglass with a Choo Choo Train. When Zelda is in the body of a phantom knight, she is able to block streams of fire so Link can pass by, and can carry Link across dangerous areas. New items are also shown off in the trailer, including the whip (that looks like a snake) which gives Link the ability to swing across chasms, whip enemies, and pull switches, and a brand new item that fires off a whirlwind.

I always look forward to the creativity that comes from every high profile Nintendo title. Fanboy or not, I even enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine. This holiday season will only see the release of two: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but they are both looking great. Now, if I can just finish Phantom Hourglass before Spirit Tracks' December 7 release date.

Barky13

Apr 7, 2009
I'm still on the fence with this game. If it's too much like Phantom Hourglass then I won't bother with it.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
...if I had a DS or whatever console this runs on (Yes, I'm a pc gamer mainly why do you ask?) I'd buy this

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
The game still looks ugly. (... And why am I reminded of Golden Sun: The Lost Age when I hear the music?)

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Oh, god dammit Nintendo...

Yeah, I think the whole idea of the train sucks, but the game actually looks like it could be good now.

Why do they always do this to me with Zelda games? DAMN YOU! *raises fist*

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Wait wait wait, you now have a companion that possess enemies for you? Nice.

I got more excited with the fact that you have a whip in this game. I just started playing Castlevania. So....Yay!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
And once again Nintendo proves it can add new mechanics to its long-running franchises and thus keep them fresh. You'd think after almost 25 years of this people would learn to stop doubting.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Zelda does not transform into a car? Booooooo! We want originality!

Seriously though,adding a bit of new mechanics can be very helpful to such a long-running series. But still...

WHY DOES NOT she transform into a car?! That would be,like,totally awesome!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hmmm.
I shall now add this game to the "I may want it" list.
The Spirt mechanic looks like i could have some interesting uses.

RoseBridge

Oct 27, 2009
The game looks fun, I mean I prefer Zeldas pirate forme though.
I would also prefer a wii Zelda game, like a lot more...like a lot lot more.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Lol, it's nice to finally see Zelda as one of the main characters in a game named after her. Can't wait for this game, gonna get it for Christmas.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Well this game has an interesting look to it and i would try it but sadly i no have a DS so until i get that first i wont be able to play it. On a side note..i cant help but notice that when Zelda was the spirit ball she looked a lot like Navi. I hope she's not like that throughout the game and yelling at you "HEY i can posses this guy"

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Furburt said:
They did something like this is the horrible TV series of Zelda. Except Link is spiritised and Zelda has to do his work for him. God that show sucked.
We don't talk about that piece of television fecal matter 'round these here parts, compadre.

That said, I can't stand the look of this new one, much like I couldn't stand the look of Phantom Hourglass and Wind Waker before it. Is there any reason those two games couldn't be the graphical equivalents of Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time? Maybe this is the reason I started to hate the anime art style, but mostly I just can't stand how they made a realistic-looking fantasy (Oxymoron! Hooray!) series look so stupid. Twilight Princess at least made amends, but then it had to have Wii stick-waggle controls. I'm getting off topic, so let me just say this: Stop with the stupid anime-style look and stick-waggle/stylus-touching and get back to the quasi-realism button-mashing!

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Ooh, now I'm REALLY interested in this game. Phantom Hourglass was a work of genius (no matter what Yahtzee thinks) so I knew in advance that this would PLAY well, but now the plot sounds really interesting. This will be the first time that Link has teamed up with Zelda for his entire adventure- could this possibly be the first real Link/Zelda romance story?

On the other hand, I am just the TINIEST bit disappointed to find that this isn't a further direct sequel to Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass. I thought it'd be nice if, just for once, there was a Zelda story arc that went for more than 2 games (Zelda 1/2, Link to the Past/Link's Awakening, Oracle of ages/Oracle of Seasons, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass).

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
New items are also shown off in the trailer, including the whip (that looks like a snake) which gives Link the ability to swing across chasms,
I'm having flashes of Mother 3 when I hear this part...
And that's not a bad thing.