Editor's Note: Healthy Living

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Healthy Living

In this week's issue, "Healthy Living," we look at what effects - both good and bad - games can have on your health.

Read Full Article

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Feh, I'm more of a mage. My strength and agility are dump stats, while my intelligence is way above average.
OT: I don't exercise, but I make up for it by eating healthily.

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
I'm with ya Jordan, I game EASILY 5 to 10 hours a week and I am in pretty good shape. I work out 4 to 5 times a week because its important to balance everything. Video Games, like any vice or hobby (there is a small distinction), will ruin you if you focus too much on it.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
It's not just videogames that keep me out of shape, it's my vast array of non-athletic hobbies and my love of food.

Exercise feels too much like a second job to me and I have yet to find an activity where I don't continually find myself thinking "I'd rather be doing something else" and since I already spend 40+ hours a week doing that, I find myself unwilling to commit to another 5-10 hours of that.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Video games don't keep people out of shape. People are just lazy.

I'm right there with ya.

I play about 10 hours of games a week and I'm constantly on the internet, but I'm still a lean 6'1 167 lbs teen.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
ive just crawled out of my cocoon to realize, thanks to steams judgmental eyes, that in the last 3 days ive been playing 26 hours of dragon age.

im hungry and my eyes are hurting, and i just realized that i forgot to go grocery shopping, its now 21.30 (the stores are closed), i sat down at 15.30 just to see how far i had come.

i think some reading about being healthy will do me good.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Alright, this photo is a tad indecent, so discretion is advised, but it does make a point very well. This is me. A gamer. (face intentionally cut out, shirt intentionally left off) [http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q237/stizlewack/Random.png] Too much time in WoW to be proud of, way too many hours spent on TF2, gamecube on top of the TV behind me, OH and ninja turtle action figures on the dresser beside that. Lord of the Rings extended edition dvds on the dvd rack, you name it, I've gamed it...

So long story short, fitness isn't hard. Games like Wii Fit aren't the answer either. I, personally, think it's a joke and a waste of money/time. I find it insulting when people call Wii Fit a "workout". Having said that fitness isn't hard, working out isn't easy, nor should it be, but gamers as a whole are probably the most fine tuned to doing it. We're used to the grind, repeating the same thing over and over to get better at something.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
snuffler said:
Alright, this photo is a tad indecent, so discretion is advised, but it does make a point very well. This is me. A gamer. (face intentionally cut out, shirt intentionally left off) [http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q237/stizlewack/Random.png] Too much time in WoW to be proud of, way too many hours spent on TF2, gamecube on top of the TV behind me, OH and ninja turtle action figures on the dresser beside that. Lord of the Rings extended edition dvds on the dvd rack, you name it, I've gamed it...

So long story short, fitness isn't hard. Games like Wii Fit aren't the answer either. I, personally, think it's a joke and a waste of money/time. I find it insulting when people call Wii Fit a "workout". Having said that fitness isn't hard, working out isn't easy, nor should it be, but gamers as a whole are probably the most fine tuned to doing it. We're used to the grind, repeating the same thing over and over to get better at something.
No joke, the first thing I did when the pic load up was examine your game case on the wall trying to make out game titles. *Neeeerd is meeee*
_____

I laughed at the 5-10 hours a week thing...6 hours everyday. Yup, No life, riiiiight here.

My Secret? Have water, not snacks. Oh and even then I'm not in killer shape, so I shouldn't be givin' advice XD

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
dududf said:
No joke, the first thing I did when the pic load up was examine your game case on the wall trying to make out game titles. *Neeeerd is meeee*
Pic was taken with my macbook, chances are slim that you'd be able to read them. They're actually all dvds in that one, my games are elsewhere. To my left. in the bottom drawer of my bedside stand, at least the ones I play a lot... Within arms reach.