Facebook Rumored to Be Coming to PS3

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Facebook Rumored to Be Coming to PS3

How many times have you been busy chasing treasure in Uncharted 2 when you realized that it's been an hour since you checked your Facebook page? Well, if the rumors are true, the next PlayStation 3 firmware update will solve that problem for you.

ScrawlFX posted pictures gleaned from the UK Playstation website which seem to indicate Facebook integration in the next firmware update. Also shown in the three pictures is the ability to change the color of your gamercard and a more efficient way of viewing photos in a grid. The pictures have since been removed and there is no comment from Sony as to their authenticity.

Admittedly, I'm not the target audience for social networking sites (check out my Myspace page!) but this attempt feels like Sony is doing too little, too late. Microsoft's Xbox Live arguably kicked the PlayStation Network's keister in the depth of service, and Felicia Day already famously announced Facebook and Twitter on XBLA at E3 2009, with both services debuting on November 19th. A mere rumor of the same thing coming to the PlayStation Network does not color me impressed.

Added to the fact that Sony was late to offer Netflix to its customers with a weak disc integration, and it's hard to deny that Sony is consistently chasing its competitors with inferior band-aid services. I, for one, would be excited for them to devote their resources to producing something that Xbox Live didn't offer.

On the other hand, the apparent myriad of colors with which you can personify your gamercard is extraordinary. Do you mean that I can choose from twenty different hues? Amazing!

Source scrawlfx [http://scrawlfx.com/2009/11/rumor-facebook-gamercard-colors-in-next-ps3-fw-update]

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Jonny49 said:
Yeah, that's great Sony. Now about that cross-game voice chat...
My thoughts exactly.
Sony that's all well and good, but let's get some worthwhile stuff with the next firmware update. How 'bout it?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
"Added to the fact that Sony was late to offer Netflix to its customers with a weak disc integration, and it's hard to deny that Sony is consistently chasing its competitors with inferior band-aid services."

You seem to fail to grasp the accepted analysis of this: that actual interview from Netflix [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pachter-ps3-netflix-deal-is-only-intermediate-step] to the contrary, puzzles me.

"I, for one, would be excited for them to devote their resources to producing something that Xbox Live didn't offer."

Right. Home doesn't exist. Nice disappearing act, there.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Yay!
No more using the mobile facebook in my PS3 browser!
*does dance*

I don't care if Sony is a little late, we are getting it aren't we?

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
I think comparing the PS3's service to XBox is a pretty weak fight. Understandably, XBox does have better service, however Sony is based in another continent. It makes more sense comparing PS3 service to Wii - and that isn't a contest.

I just think it should be pointed out that it is probably easier for the American Microsoft to come out with an American Facebook app then it is for Japanese Sony.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Jonny49 said:
Yeah, that's great Sony. Now about that cross-game voice chat...
That'd be good if a cErtAin giant games company wasn't so up it's own ass and angry that Cross-game chat didn't work on one game that, to be quite honest, you wouldn't want people to know you were playing.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Furburt said:
Yay for lazy bastards who can't be bothered to move between the console and the computer!
when I game I have my laptop beside me =D I'm all set!

OT: this really seems pointless then again I don't use facebook so maybe I don't see the usefulness in this that others might

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Urgh I don't think I could care any less, I really just don't feel the need to have facebook on my PS3. Damnnit, we've already got a perfectly good browser anyway, how about I just bookmark facebook instead?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Home? Vidzone? Life with the Playstation 3? Really decent online games which haven't been done before?

Oh sorry, you wanted twitter. My fault.(Never mind that naughty Dog have already done that)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
BrotherRool said:
Home? Vidzone? Life with the Playstation 3? Really decent online games which haven't been done before?

Oh sorry, you wanted twitter. My fault.(Never mind that naughty Dog have already done that)
The PS3 has lots of interesting features, and imaginative games. It's not copying if everyone else already does it (I mean what doesn't have facebook integration nowadays?). But didn't Sony say no more major content updates this year after 3.0 came out? Maybe it won't come until next year.

I don't use facebook, but I would like to recolour my tag. Grey doesn't match my theme.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I really wish the console manufacturers would focus a bit more on the gaming experience, and less on the other bullshit....

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Yo Sony I'm happy for you and I'm going to let you finish but xbox live is the best of all time.............OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!
hate to point this out but something that offers the same features and for free would by default be better, even better since m$ enjoys doing total cost of ownership comparisons and free is always better in everyone's eyes

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the PS3 have a web browser and can thus just go to Facebook already?

Nov 11, 2008
Oh good lord, What the hell is wrong with Sony? I thought they were cool insulting Nigeria and shit but now...Damn...

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Cross-game chat.

Now.

Though... I'm happy Facebook is here and all.

bakonslayer said:
I think comparing the PS3's service to XBox is a pretty weak fight. Understandably, XBox does have better service, however Sony is based in another continent. It makes more sense comparing PS3 service to Wii - and that isn't a contest.

I just think it should be pointed out that it is probably easier for the American Microsoft to come out with an American Facebook app then it is for Japanese Sony.
Uhm, good point... like, at first I was like, "lol wut" but then I was like, "Oh, actually, this is a pretty valid point".

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SaintWaldo said:
"Added to the fact that Sony was late to offer Netflix to its customers with a weak disc integration, and it's hard to deny that Sony is consistently chasing its competitors with inferior band-aid services."

You seem to fail to grasp the accepted analysis of this: that actual interview from Netflix [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pachter-ps3-netflix-deal-is-only-intermediate-step] to the contrary, puzzles me.

"I, for one, would be excited for them to devote their resources to producing something that Xbox Live didn't offer."

Right. Home doesn't exist. Nice disappearing act, there.
You are correct, Home is something that Xbox Live doesn't offer. Home also sucks.

I want Home to be interesting, but it just plain isn't. It's never given me a single reason to fire it up.