Funcom Invites Players Back to Age of Conan

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Funcom Invites Players Back to Age of Conan

Age of Conan [http://www.funcom.com/], offering two weeks of free play, double experience points and other bonuses to previously active players who give the game a second chance.

A lot has changed since Age of Conan launched in May 2008 and to encourage former players to give the game another look, Funcom is once again offering two weeks of free gameplay to anyone who comes back to Hyboria. This time around, they'll also be granted double experience points throughout the free period along with extra bonuses for signing up to play beyond the two-week trial.

Players who subscribe for one month beyond the free period will be given an extra seven days of free gameplay; a three-month subscription will land players a spot in The Secret World [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94615-Dark-Days-Loom-Ahead-in-The-Secret-World] open beta, six months will earn a special level 40 helmet with a ten percent XP modifier and a full year subscription will include a free copy of the Rise of the Godslayer expansion. Each level of subscription bonus will also include all the rewards from the lower bonus tiers.

"We are very proud of what have been able to do with the game since launch," said Funcom's Morten Larssen. "The game has grown and improved at a remarkable pace, and we continue to introduce new content, new features and new improvements. We are introducing these fantastic rewards as we know that coming back to an MMO demands effort, and we want to make sure that as many former players as possible are exposed to the new and improved Age of Conan."

Sound interesting? Check it out for yourself at ageofconan.com/updates [http://www.ageofconan.com/updates/].

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Blizzard: Conan, what is worst in life?
Conan: When my MMO has to give away presents to get people to play it.
Blizzard: Eleven million, four-hundred twelve thousand nine-hundred thirty-eight World of Warcraft subscribers, Eleven million, four-hu...what was that? I wasn't listening.
Conan: Sigh...

Sorry, Conan. Apparently to the players, Azeroth > Cimmeria.

Feb 13, 2008
Having played the trial, it's not too bad, but it's nothing special. The classes are badly broken still (Don't play a Barbarian) but I don't know many MMOs where that's not the case.

It's basically nice if you like that sort of thing; but given Warhammer (which is very similar) has a free unlimited trial...It's not much of a choice.

And I'd be very interested in seeing if the Champions Lifetime subscription people are still playing.

PieMaker

Oct 7, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Having played the trial, it's not too bad, but it's nothing special. The classes are badly broken still (Don't play a Barbarian) but I don't know many MMOs where that's not the case.

It's basically nice if you like that sort of thing; but given Warhammer (which is very similar) has a free unlimited trial...It's not much of a choice.

And I'd be very interested in seeing if the Champions Lifetime subscription people are still playing.
What are you talking about? Barbarians are actually one of the best classes, even after all the changes they made to it.

Still, there are so many game options out there right now, I don't really see the point in playing AOC. It's still one of my favourite games but as it happens with most older mmos, the remaining player base usually has the levels and items they need and are at end-game stage, as well as many of them having quit to play newer games.

Feb 13, 2008
sylphmortem said:
What are you talking about? Barbarians are actually one of the best classes, even after all the changes they made to it.
http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=193929 : Broken and Inferrior Feats

My Necro could out-DPS and outlast my Barbarian over the first 10 levels.

Reasoning: Necro has drains, DoTs, Pets, armour and can keep at long range.
Barbs have single focus DPS and need to be in close with no drains/regens.

Maybe it changes later on, but after getting nailed by the respawning Pirates for the fifth time, I wasn't prepared to keep going.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
They try to bring back people like every 3 months, hell I remember trying the game again in June and I honestly gave the game another chance, but after trying to quest for like 6 hours and getting repeatedly ganked over and over every 10 minutes I just called it quits, uninstalled, and threw out the discs.

Just a side thought, did they change the graphic requirements, I remember on my old PC that was just over the minimum the game looked pretty nice but on my new PC it didn't look that great...?

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I don't really like long-term subscriptions. Even if I do play, I'm going to keep it on a monthly basis.

I have a tendency of abandoning all other games for a while if I find a really good game, so if something awesome comes out I'd drop this whether I had a year trial or not.

That said, the free trial sounds appealing, I'll give Conan a try.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Champions has gotten pretty quiet. Mostly people have run out of content and there is little motive to keep playing once one has hit level cap. But for a lot of us our accounts are still active but we are playing other things, probably mostly DA:O, and awaiting content additions.

For any MMO struggling with numbers, I can see the possible promotional sense in giving away Tier 1 for free. It isn't like their servers are overloaded.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Many MMO's are hungry it seems, just last week i got an e-mail from Blizzard and one from Turbine...

PieMaker

Oct 7, 2008
sylphmortem said:
http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=193929 : Broken and Inferrior Feats

My Necro could out-DPS and outlast my Barbarian over the first 10 levels.

Reasoning: Necro has drains, DoTs, Pets, armour and can keep at long range.
Barbs have single focus DPS and need to be in close with no drains/regens.

Maybe it changes later on, but after getting nailed by the respawning Pirates for the fifth time, I wasn't prepared to keep going.
The truth is that caster classes have the upper hand at lower levels, even though i've seen plenty of players with melee characters that were unbeatable by many. What I want to say is, i thoroughly enjoyed my barb, even at lower levels.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I was really excited for Conan when it came out, it was fun for a few hours but playing my necromancer and the pet not holding aggro got old by about day 3. Oh and lest we forget they never gave me the Drinking Cloak I was owed for being signed up to their newsletter from day 1 (still am as a matter of fact).

Give me the Drinking cloak that I'm owed and I might consider "re-evaluating" your game.

can't-think

Aug 31, 2009
It's a bummer that they didn't release the game when it was like this, they may of had a larger subscriber base if they did.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Give me the Drinking cloak that I'm owed and I might consider "re-evaluating" your game.
I got the drinking cloak, it did nothing except make you look like everybody else...

warbaloon

Aug 11, 2009
since my caster class of choice could do a lot more damage with bows than spells and funcom didnt care, i didnt feel like giving them more chances

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
There was alot to like about AoC back in the day. I stopped playing for a few reasons though. The PVP they promised wasn't there, I was 58, and had run out of content appropriate for my level and my friends with ATi cards got horrible memory leaks, making the game unplayable for them.

I'm intrigued to go back and have a look though. Like I said, there was alot to like, but it was definitely released too early.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
thats a bad sign when they have to lure you back in with goodies XD

Tried it out on the free trial and thought the game play was pretty good. the only problem was more or less everything else :(

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Funcom could attract more replays if they would just update Anarchy Online.