Square Enix Announces Lufia Sequel

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Square Enix Announces Lufia Sequel

The reboot of the 16-year-old Lufia franchise is yet another confusing communique from Japan.

Square Enix announced today on the Japanese language website Famitsu.com [http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1229437_1124.html] that it is developing a sequel to the classic Estpolis Denki, released as Lufia & the Fortress of Doom here in the U.S. for the Super Nintendo in 1993. The new game is called Estpolis but no details were provided as to the release window or for which platform the game is being developed.

Lufia was a japanese role playing game that followed in the footsteps of the original Final Fantasy with a turn-based battle system. It was the only title released under the Taito brand in the U.S. According to Famitsu.com, the original team that designed Lufia is working on the new game. Square Enix acquired Taito in 2005, and will be publishing the game.

While I never played Lufia, I was certainly a fan of the JRPGs of that age and I celebrate any return to those halcyon days. But sixteen years is a long fricking time, what prompted the reboot from Square Enix? It's not even a 20th anniversary year or anything like that. Yet another head-scratching announcement from Japan.

Famitsu.com promises more details in the print version of their publication which is due on shelves in Japan next week. Perhaps all will be made clear then.

Yeah, right. And I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

via Andreasang.com [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/13/lufia_sequel]

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I generally hate JRPGs, but Lufia 1 and 2 were SO FREAKIN GREAT!!! I cannot WAIT! I hope it lives up to it's predecessors!

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Sadly, among the multitude of JRPG series, this (along with the Mother and the SMT series) unfortunately remained out of my grasp. Never again, I say! I will definitely look into this.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
*drinkspray*

F*** YEAH!!

... Ahem. Rebooting the series that had my favourite RPG of all time (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)? I love you again SquareEnix.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Interesting, I really enjoyed Lufia 2 and I'd like to see the series approached with a more modern bent, that clunky old combat system REALLY needs some updating.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
where's my Vagrant Story reboot???
We'll have to wait until that development team gets tired of Ivalice, first. Then one of the big wigs needs to hit their head really, really hard. Seeing the return of Lufia, that second part may have already happened. And that's not a bad thing.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Yeah, right. And I'm a Chinese jet pilot.
I don't know of you Greg, but I see this to be the start to an amazing partnership between yourself and the Escapist.

[small]As long as you keep up the one liners, that is.[/small]

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
ooooh, Lufia. I don't know when the series started but I have fond memories of some of the SNES games.

Tom Goldman said:
where's my Vagrant Story reboot???
Yeah, and they made FFT. I loved there "style". Dark, gothic, muted coolers, storyline, awesome. But unfortunately Square dropped the studio after the poor sales of Vagrant Story.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
OH HAPPY DAY! Lufia is the RPG series that got me into the genre. I remember playing it as a kid and losing days to it. I hope that not only will this sequel be released for the Wii, but that the Lufia games will be on the Virtual Console, if they aren't already there.

*Goes to check Virtual Console*

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
This is a good thing. Lufia 2 is one of my favorite rpgs of all time. It was absolutely brilliant.

Lance Icarus said:
OH HAPPY DAY! Lufia is the RPG series that got me into the genre. I remember playing it as a kid and losing days to it. I hope that not only will this sequel be released for the Wii, but that the Lufia games will be on the Virtual Console, if they aren't already there.

*Goes to check Virtual Console*
I am with you all the way. Severe disappointment will follow if this is not released on the Wii.

... Speaking of which, I wonder when DragonQuest 10 is coming out.

Johnny Danger

Oct 19, 2008
MAN OH MAN, this is completely out of left field but AMAZING news!

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals deserves to be up there with the likes of Chrono Trigger and FFVI.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Hmm. To tell the truth, I'd never heard of it. But considering the reaction it's getting here, it certainly sounds like something to look out for. I'll keep my eyes and ears open in the future, for sure.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
All you youngsters complaining about $60 games make me laugh. Back in my day we'd have gladly payed Funcoland $70 for Lufia II.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
There's only one thing I can say....in l33t speak.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Ok, I'll stop now. Shit man, I lost hours with Lufia 2. It's so god damn fun! Looking foward to it.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I do not know. I played all the games, even the ones on the Gameboy, but I am not so sure I want to see this one come back. It is kind of a downer series. I do not like the fact that I have to sacrifice the characters that I've come to like over the course of the narrative. Dammit I liked everyone in these games and it sucked that I had to either kill or let them die at the end of the adventure.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Lufia? Never heard of it. Could someone fill me in on why the games were so good?