ToeJam & Earl's XBLA Future Uncertain

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ToeJam & Earl's XBLA Future Uncertain

Sega may have forgotten that it needs to own the rights to videogames it wants to re-release.

Back in summer, Sega official poll page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93899-Vote-for-Segas-Next-Genesis-Game-on-XBLA] states that ToeJam & Earl will be released on XBLA soon, there appear to be some rights ownership hurdles in the way.

According to ToeJam & Earl creator Greg Johnson, Sega doesn't currently own the rights needed to release the game. Johnson told Joystiq: "[Sega] sort of got ahead of themselves a little bit and didn't realize that they don't have the rights to the property. It's an easy mistake to make - with every game contract being different, and new versions of contracts for releases always superseding old contracts, and rights' expiration dates, etc."

Sega wanted to get the rights to the funky duo some eight months ago, primarily to use them in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, but offered Johnson "very little money, and they wanted to tie up the rights to the characters across all platforms for an extended period." Johnson is evidently waiting for Sega to get back to him with a better offer, saying "the ball is in their court."

This may be disappointing news to ToeJam & Earl fans that were expecting to see the game released on XBLA possibly even by the end of 2009. Johnson, currently running HumaNature Studios [http://humanaturestudios.com/default.php], also revealed to Joystiq that he shopped around a ToeJam & Earl multiplayer DS game but didn't receive any interest.

I'm not an expert on rights and trademarks and such, but couldn't Johnson try releasing ToeJam & Earl on XBLA or other platforms himself? If the blinged out alien creations won Sega's poll, it could be worth the investment and time.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/09/toejam-and-earl-creator-says-xbla-port-not-so-certain-future-game/]

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
I would love to see this released but I mean come on! Despite a few lousy sequels during the years this is a forgotten property. How much money can the guy want!

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
Powerman88 said:
I would love to see this released but I mean come on! Despite a few lousy sequels during the years this is a forgotten property. How much money can the guy want!
The issue was probably that they wanted to tie up the characters again for an extended period of time on all consoles (and then ride them into the ground ala sonic).

Here's hoping they work something out, because as you said, this shouldn't be a million dollar deal. Sure, I like these guys, but many game players today have both no *idea* who they are, and weren't old enough/alive to get the references this remake would make.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
Wow, little disappointed this is tied up right now. Toe Jam and Earl was one of the better series on Genesis. Hope this pans out so I can spend my MS points on it.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Interesting since it's been on the Wii Virtual Console for quite a while already.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
I'm not an expert on rights and trademarks and such, but couldn't Johnson try releasing ToeJam & Earl on XBLA or other platforms himself? If the blinged out alien creations won Sega's poll, it could be worth the investment and time.
Maybe he doesn't have a staff capable of porting a game from cartridge to Xboxlive. His staff page shows that they are a pretty small group. [http://humanaturestudios.com/aboutus.php]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I feel like a terrible gamer, but I could never get myself to go out and buy a product with the word, "Toejam" in it.
Needless to say, I haven't played any of such games.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I think I may be the only gamer to be born around the PS1 era, never owned a Megadrive at any point in time and still know who ToeJam and Earl are!

Also the game is on Virtual Console, so how exactly did it get on VC and yet there's something wrong with releasing on XBLA?