Controversy and GTA V With Rockstar's Dan Houser

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Rockstar founder and head honcho Dan Houser has offered his perspective on video game controversy, as well as (very) briefly touching on the next Grand Theft Auto game.

"We'll think of a city first," said Houser on the follow up to GTA IV, "then the characters."

Houser's recent interview with the Times [http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6916029.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1] didn't really delve too deeply into sequels, but Houser had plenty to say on the idea that violent games make for violent people.

"It feels at last like we're moving on from that debate. The audience is getting past 30 so it all becomes a bit silly. That's not to say that all games are for all people; we've never said that. GTA has always been rated 18 and we've always been very happy with that."

"Nevertheless, we do get frustrated when video games are singled out and movies are given a free pass. Manhunt 2 was banned in the same week that Saw was released. The arguments become quite ludicrous quite quickly when people argue that games are somehow more dangerous than full-motion video."

Houser's comments are in line with Quantic Dream's Guillaume de Fondaumiere' s comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96122-Heavy-Rain-Producer-Speaks-About-Modern-Warfare-2] about Modern warfare 2, but with that game coming under fire from both the media and politicians in the US and UK respectively, it's difficult to agree with Houser's position that the debate is moving on.

Source: via MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36513/Sam-Houser-talks-GTA-V?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+mcvuk/oXMK+(MCV:+games+industry+news)]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Agreed. I've never understood how pixels are worse than anything in live action.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well it's not that movies are getting a free pass so much as the media's attention has moved past movies and onto video games. it's just a new thing for people to blame why others go on killing sprees and are generally bad people, instead of saying "hey they're crazy and that's why they did it"

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
Has rockstar publicly admitted "Hey, we screwed the pooch on GTA IV. It sucked, we're sorry, and we'll try to return to GTA: SA perfection next time." ?

Aug 25, 2009
People say games are worse because of the interactive element, it's quite simple.

It's curious because the debate has actually got more relevant as graphics get more photorealistic. It used to be ridiculous that saying games desensitized you to violence, because they looked worse than standard cartoons, but now it could be a legitimate concern.

For the record, as far as I know, the tests I have seen into this peg violent games and violent movies at the same level of inducing violence, which is to say, practically none.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
The debate really should be moving on. I'm sick and tired of Games getting singled out, while any other media is just waved on by. There's little difference, yet when books, movies, etc are extremely violent it's fine, and when a Game is at the same level of violence; cue the 'think of the children', 'this is simply intolerable' and 'we cannot let this just slide' bullshit.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
One sentence about their game design process when it comes to GTA, is enough to tag GTA5 in the title. Cheap ploy to get someone to read a poor article.

Diablini

May 24, 2009
Oh, come on. It's about time they drop the GTA francise and concentrate on something even slightly different. Vice City was the peak and it was great, San Andreas was good and I liked it, GTA 4 is where they should have drawn the line. It's too much, the franchise is overused and old. I hope that this doesn't go like Final Fantasy 2000.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, the problem with comments by people like Mr. Houser is that they don't matter unless they are willing to seriously fight the politicians, and of course produce exceedingly extreme content. I notice Mr. House mentions violence, but skirts around the question of sex entirely.

*THAT* said I am willing to give him some brownie points for having finally released Manhunt 2 for the PC in an uncensored format. Shame they couldn't have improved it a bit for the PC release though (gameplay wise and such).

Still, with my last money until after Christmas I pretty much sat there deciding whether I would get Torchlight or Manhunt 2. I decided to get Manhunt 2 to support the issue even if it was D2D. My basic attitude is that if you release true "M" rated games and don't censor them I will support them. I figured I can get Torchlight later, though by that point the mania will probably have subsided (besides I have Dragon Age: Origins for my RPG fix).

If I had to pick a "best" Grand Theft Auto game, playwise I'd say it would have to be "San Andreas". Though to be honest I did like a lot of the embellishments they did with GTA IV (the TV programs and such added to the overall experience). That said I didn't much care for the entire way GTA IV played, and I'm one of those who will say the storyline was very "meh". But then again that whole "getting called for social meetings" thing has a lot to do with what ruined it for me.

Truthfully if someone could release a game with the general level of gameplay of San Andreas and Saint's Row 2, the backround development (TV shows, etc...) of GTA IV, and enough "AO" rated sex and violence to finally give Jack Thomson a heart attack... well that would be the ultimate sandbox crime game.

The issue of character customization is one I'll mention seperate from the above because while *I* feel it's the best way to go, a lot of people prefer pre-made protaganists. Still I think Saint's Row 2 showed with their voice selections that you CAN have the best of both worlds.

It's also a mixed issue, but I also enjoyed San Andreas' "RPG type" development, but then again I am an RPG fan. The only problem I had with that game is the bit at the beginning on the bikes. I'm just absolutly horrible at that sequence.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
He's right. I respect the man and his opinions considering that his company gets a lot of shit for being an extremely controversial game developer. It's kind of a give considering that Rockstar's track record is GTA, Manhunt, and Bully, both of which have been covered in some way by mainstream media.

Pixelated violence and realistic violence are two very different things. If you can't tell what's reality and what isn't reality, why the fuck are you even complaining?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Therumancer said:
Well, the problem with comments by people like Mr. Houser is that they don't matter unless they are willing to seriously fight the politicians, and of course produce exceedingly extreme content. I notice Mr. House mentions violence, but skirts around the question of sex entirely.
And you think any of the politicians will listen? Two words: Micheal Atkinson.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
buy teh haloz said:
Therumancer said:
And you think any of the politicians will listen? Two words: Micheal Atkinson.

I said fight the politicians, not compromise with them.

As much as I agree with the right wing more in most cases, during the 1960s the left wingers made a very good point about things. You simply CANNOT influance or change the goverment while working entirely within the system. Hence all of the various protest rallies and the like that took place. Right now it does not seem that any gaming company has even made the slightest effort to do so much as start a picket line. Heck, 4chan did more to harass the Scientologists with a bunch of random anonymous internet posters than a company like Valve or Rockstar has done with the general support of the millions strong gaming community and actual organization and money behind them.

That's my point. They can release all the press statements of "umm, I disagree" that they want, but in the end it doesn't matter as long as you continue to try and take them on within their turf.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Violence in video games as controversy only exists for those people who still think of video games as toys for children. Video games are for everyone now, not just your 8 year old nephew. It's up to parents/guardians to look at a game and decide if it's appropriate for their child. These games are clearly for adults, and thus the only controversy should be if the next Mario Bros. game had peach working a street corner to support her smack habit and Mario and Luigi were leg breakers for the mob.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
YAAAAY, CONTROVERSY! A word that I've heard a lot, even though it never seems justified!

The world was so much better when we didn't have all these video games that created huge communities where people of many ages from all over the world talked about, not only video games, but how the world works today, politics, moral dilemmas, and becoming one of the most broad communities to date. All because of them evil video games!

I guess there are a lot of other arguments to why video games are better, but I'd like to settle on one that proves that video games have changed society, IN A GOOD WAY!

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
I think it's moved on. It's not like MW2 has kicked up like a GTA used to. Sure, the media is all over, but eventually they'll realise that the audience, their audience, is exactly the market that is playing these games and shut up out of embarrassment. How many of their own workforce do you think are playing these games? A fair few given the average gaming age these days.
Sure, kids'll still get hold of these games but is it really any worse that those of us who used to sneak-watch The Evil Dead or Rambo when we were kids?
It's easy to say these children will turn into killers, but if anything the Comic / Punk Rock/ Video Nasty debacles have shown us throughout history it's that these theories are usually utter bollocks.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Diablini said:
Oh, come on. It's about time they drop the GTA francise and concentrate on something even slightly different. Vice City was the peak and it was great, San Andreas was good and I liked it, GTA 4 is where they should have drawn the line. It's too much, the franchise is overused and old. I hope that this doesn't go like Final Fantasy 2000.
Right now they're concentrating on Red Dead Redemption, I'd say that's at least slightly different.

I think that as the older generations begin to die out, we see less and less of this bitching and moaning about 'violent video games.' Games like Modern Warfare 2 and GTA still come under a lot of fire, but I think people are starting to realize that the ones getting all upset over it are... not all there, shall we say.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
nilcypher said:

"Nevertheless, we do get frustrated when video games are singled out and movies are given a free pass. Manhunt 2 was banned in the same week that Saw was released. The arguments become quite ludicrous quite quickly when people argue that games are somehow more dangerous than full-motion video."
How funny is it that Saw the video game [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/saw/] was released the Friday before MW2 and that it got no press on it's graphic violence nor was it held up beside MW2 as something worse? Not that I think the MW2 deserves a free pass for it's blatant gratuity. These companies are not trying to be altruistic to send some kind of social message here. This is about money and the cash cows are in; Gratuitous violence sells... a lot! That's nothing to be proud of, but when you're laughing all the way to the bank you probably don't care anymore.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Why the hell would I bother with games if they are not any more dangerous than boring old movies. Rockstar my arse, more like popstar. When did game developers forget that games are vital and exciting, not some heavily marketed things that are a bit like your grandad's favourite movies only not as good.