Start-Up Claims Stone DVDs Will Last a Millennium

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Start-Up Claims Stone DVDs Will Last a Millennium

In case you really wanted to leave your copy of Legally Blonde to your distant descendants: WA-based start-up Cranberry LLC claims that its stone DVDs will last a good 1,000 years into the future.

On average, consumer-grade CDs and DVDs - that is, the discs sold to consumers to burn via their computer - last anywhere from two to five years before beginning to degrade (at least, if DiamonDisc [http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/initiatives/temp-opmedia-faq.html] technology will still be good a thousand years from now.

In fact, says the Cranberry website, the DiamonDisc will literally etch your memories in stone - synthetic "diamond-like" stone, that is. Unlike normal discs, the DiamonDisc contains no silver or gold reflective layer, rendering it transparent ... but also rendering it without any laser-sensitive ink to decay. While the only way to determine whether or not the product will actually last 1,000 years will be up to our great-great-great-great-etc-grandchildren, Cranberry claims that the DiamonDisc is unharmed by "heat as high as 176 degrees Fahrenheit, ultraviolet rays or normal material deterioration." So you could leave it outside in Death Valley and it'd still be hunky-dory at the end of the day.

There are downsides to the technology, of course: While any normal DVD player can read one of the discs, they can only be burned by Cranberry itself, which means trusting your private data to a third party. Also, a single DiamonDisc holds a meager 4.7GB of information, which is standard DVD size - and while perfectly suitable for holding things like family photos, it seems awfully small in the era of High-Definition video and Blu-Ray.

But this of course is ignoring the elephant in the room: Will we even have DVD players a millennium from now? It's only been twenty-some-odd years since 8-track tapes went the way of the dodo, and I challenge anyone to find a working player for that. You might be able to preserve your data for the future to find, but it means nothing if they don't have the technology to access it, right?

So let's file this one under "technology that's cool, but seems kind of impractical."

(ComputerWorld [http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140771/Start_up_claims_its_DVDs_last_1_000_years])

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Ironic that this comes up after Root's Fahrenheit 1111 thread.

Neat stuff. Can't wait to see somebody convinced that the world will end soon attempt to transcribe all sorts of stuff onto a bunch of these discs in an attempt to make a sort of general ark of knowledge or some such nonsense.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
it is both odd and cool tech. tho i think the tech will change a lot in 1000 years, heck try finding a 5.25" floppy drive now

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Well I've seen 8-track players at garage/yard sales and the like, but whether they worked or not is a different question. What about vinyl record players? Everyone thought those would be extinct by now, but it turns out that sound quality on vinyl is superior to that of CDs/DVDs.

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
...and I challenge anyone to find a working player for that...
I have one build into my car
Yes, you read that right, my car

But aren't we moving onto solid state memory now?
I barely even see CD players anymore...

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Not particulary useful, but convinient for saving data in case of apocalypse. I suppose. Or you could just take a flash memcard and put it in a safe.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Does that now mean you can mind-fuck people who live in the future? Cool!...kinda.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Isn't that incredibly environmentally unfriendly? Surely we'll just end up with landfills full of the things...

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Funk, you missed out on the crazy Japanese golf bra, you're slipping!

Cool bit of news. Probably the only reason these will sell at all is because some people are going crazy over the 2012 thing and trying to record everything.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-RS-802US-MDL-8-TRACK-TRAC-PLAYER_W0QQitemZ300367763891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item45ef5059b3

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
As to a point made in the article... how many people actually have a Blu-ray burner? Or the need to burn 50 GB of data? Or the desire to pay for the writable disks? I'd rather use the redundant file server in my home.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
you know if you laminate the face of your DVD you can probably get a whole hell of alot more years out of it. I still have dvds that work with no degradation thats well over 12 years old now :p its where u keep it and how much wear and tear it has to go thru.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
and I challenge anyone to find a working player for that.

in my room, theres one in my record player and i DO actually use it, albeit very rarely.

in any case, id like to ask what the point of this is? looking at coming technology (carbon nanowires especially, which theoretically can store data for over 1000 years AND have a higher theoretical capacity than even hvd) this wont have much of a life span.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually there are entire subcultures revolving around old media players like 8 tracks and repairing and maintaining them and such. People like to tinker with antiquidated technology.

As far as the viability of media that doesn't degrade, well it all depends on what you want to record. If your planning on say sticking something into a time capsule that is a good thing.

Whether anyone will ever care or not, consider that a lot of people like to record journals and such to leave behind a record of their existance (as mundane as it might be). There are also groups of people who COLLECT journals, and actually the more boring and "normal" a journal or diary is the more valuable it can be to someone who is say interested for sociological or historical reasons. Surviving journals and such from a hundred years ago help answer questions about what the ordinary person was like or how they lived. Just imagine being able to have a CD or DVD to do the same thing and actually show it in 300 years. Guaranteed someone will resurrect the technology specifically for that reason if no other.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Lukeje said:
Isn't that incredibly environmentally unfriendly? Surely we'll just end up with landfills full of the things...
Yeah, I can't believe how long this junk will endure. If it's good after a 1000 years, when will it begin to rot?

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
Did anyone else come into this thread thinking that this company was claiming that DVDs as a format would last a millennium?

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
It's only been twenty-some-odd years since 8-track tapes went the way of the dodo, and I challenge anyone to find a working player for that
I'll just go borrow my grannies. And hers still works.

ot: I don't know if I would really even have any sort of practical use for something like that. Whatever happened to just keeping a handwritten journal?