Castlevania, Half-Life 2 Mashup Is Surprisingly Endearing

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Castlevania, Half-Life 2 Mashup Is Surprisingly Endearing

It may look a bit rough and the parts don't quite fit together, but Machinima.com's recent Half-Life 2/Castlevania mashup is pure genius aimed squarely at anyone who played both the NES action game and the more recent PC shooter.

As the name suggests, the map is a remake of the first level of the NES version of Castlevania within the Half-Life 2 engine. The map's creator didn't go to the trouble to recreate the former's weapons or enemies, but somehow the video is that much more appealing for his laziness.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for that classic theme song, but headcrabs and those damn shrieking zombies from Ravenholm just seem to fit in with Konami's gothic setting, even when its obvious 8-bit heritage is almost being subconsciously mocked by the transition to (relatively) high resolution 3-D.

Nothing official will ever come of this map, and I wouldn't even expect its creator to have the attention span to recreate the entirety of the NES game, but like peanut butter and basically anything, Castlevania and Half-Life 2 is yet another flavor combination that works surprisingly well together

(Via G4 [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700749/Castlevania-Recreated-In-Half-Life-2.html])

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
That was awesome.

I would be quite happy to play a full version of Castlevania with the classic whip and all the other weapons using the Halflife 2 engine. If only to have the theme song playing while killing headcrabs.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Castlevania <3 !?

That was just purely fucking awesome, collecting healh from the candles was just genius.

Hope I can play this someday this really put a smile on my face.

Loved the soundtrack, especially the end music.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ahh thanks for that flashback. It has been a while since I heard that tune. I gotta say that was a pretty sweet mod except for the gun.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Huh, I just realized that it looks like Freeman is just gliding instead of running. Also, since there are no cutscenes or reflective surfaces and when you look down you don't see any legs it is quite possible that Freeman is a floating hand.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
well done. I shows enthusiasm from the community when they take the time to make something like this. That being said first person platforming doesn't really work out very well.

Alux

Nov 9, 2009
That was just amazing. Kudos to that modder!

He should make it full then release the mod somehow. I'd play that shit.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Oh, castlevania, how i miss you.

Never understood why Dracula kept so much stuff in his candles, though.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Made of awsome.

I'd love to see a full version of that.

Reminds me of how half life 2 could have done with more bosses though (so the giant bat could be something bigger than a man-hack)

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Already saw it, but that doesn't make this any less awesome.

The boss fight is still pretty damn anticlimactic, though.