Collector's Editions Can "Pay Off in Spades"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Collector's Editions Can "Pay Off in Spades"

"Collector's editions" of major videogames are growing increasingly impressive - and expensive - but the NPD Group says there's a good reason publishers keep releasing them: They bring in the money.

Remember when Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition [http://www.activision.com], which included a fully-functioning set of night vision goggles? A lot of people claimed it was nuts, that it was too expensive, that nobody in their right mind would pay more than twice the cost of the standard release for a big box and a set of cheaply-made NVGs; and then, a few months later, a lot of people ran out and bought the thing.

"Limited and Collector's editions of games have seen a steady increase in sales over the years, particularly in this hardware generation," David Riley of the Ars Technica [http://www.npd.com/]. Sinking the money into the production of an expensive, limited edition isn't without risk, of course, but Riley said it can "pay off in spades."

"It's not unusual for consumers to throw down the minimum payment on a preorder, end up not picking up the original preordered title and instead having that money applied to another preordered title," he said. "Often times, collector's editions that are bundled with additional products are only available via pre-orders. This helps to better guarantee the consumer will honor the preorder... so, if consumers don't pick up the bundled preorder, they lose the chance to have a collector's edition of the title."

That last point is very valid: There's nothing that will get me in to preorder a game (and ensure that I'm there to pick it up) faster than the prospect of a limited edition. I eat that stuff up, and as digital distribution becomes increasingly prevalent, I expect to see even more of it in the future. In fact, with conventional retailers continuing to look for ways to stay relevant in the digital era, I wouldn't be surprised to see a return to the days when videogames included things like swizzle sticks, iron-on patches and microscopic space fleets as a matter of course. Man, that'd be awesome.

Oh, and one other thing: Die-hard Modern Warfare fans who missed out on the $149 Prestige Edition can still pick them up on eBay [http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=modern+warfare+2+prestige+edition&_sacat=See-All-Categories] - with prices starting at about 200 bucks. Hey, you had your chance.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
200 bucks? I thought they would be going for far more than that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I can't believe people by the bloody things - then they whine after and don't see why it wasn't what they expected.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
I'd imagine it would be hard to not deliver on a pair of night vision goggles. They either let you see in the dark or they don't. Now a plastic mounted and unmovable batarang with "authenticity" scratches that allowed you to see the white plastic underneath, that's a bit different.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hmmmmmm.
I am GUILTY!
I usualy buy the special editions whenever i can just for the prospect of bonus content, artwork, or bragging rights.
One thing that i could see boosting sails of Special ED are ones that come with Figurines.
(and if a game came with iron on patches id buy clothes to put them on....)

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
And the night vision goggles weren't even proper night vision goggles. But what can you expect? a real pair would cost a fortune.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Ok, now that I have had more time for reflection on this, I'll post more relating the actual article.

I can really see how a Collector's Edition can pay off. Provide cheap items A and B that cost us, say... 20 bucks to make total. Now let's sell it for $100 or so and make an extra $20 per. We could end up eating more money than are making, but it's worth the risk, someone somewhere will be out there looking for it eventually, and it will still probably go for full price.

A lot of times thought you have to look at what is offered in a collector's edition. For example in the "Dragon Age: Origins PC Digital Collector's Edition" you received the bonus DLC item that everyone has to pay $7 for, plus some in game items, but those are just as easily created in the toolset especially since they don't have unique in game models or textures. Bioware also threw in some wallpapers and the soundtrack, but those are minor to most. How much for all this? $64.99.

All that you are really getting if you think about it is a $7 DLC, a soundtrack (which is just MP3's so no CD wasted) and some wallpapers. As mentioned the in-game items are (now that I know the models are copy/paste of other models) easily created in the toolkit, so don't really add to the value of the game. So in essence you are paying $64.99 for something that everyone else is paying $56.99 for (the standard version plus the DLC).

I bought the Digital Deluxe Edition of Dragon Age: Origins, and I do not regret it. I gave an extra $8 to a great developer who will use that to make better games in the future. It even seems to me that Digital Deluxe Edition's would be the best money maker for all Deluxe editions. They just have to give away a bunch of digital work, and only to the people that ordered it, so there are no extra boxes lying around in stores collecting dust and losing money. All the while the Digital version is charging you the same price as the store bought version with a disc, metal tin, and a cloth map that could arguably be worth more, even if the production cost is the same, since you now have physical property.

All in all, yes, it would make sense that a Collector's Edition and especially a Digital Collector's Edition can make a ton of extra money for a company. It just helps to be a game that will sell well regardless of it's Collector's Edition status.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I think that CE and LE versions of games appeal to the need to collect shiny things that i have, so i do buy them but only if it is for something i would have already gotten.

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
Hmmmmmm.
I am GUILTY!
I usualy buy the special editions whenever i can just for the prospect of bonus content, artwork, or bragging rights.
One thing that i could see boosting sails of Special ED are ones that come with Figurines.
the new splinter cell special edition will have those patches

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Collectors Editions are dumb, not only to they usually come a giant tin that doesn't fit well against the rest of the games you have on the shelf. The bonus stuff is usually pretty rubbish. Crappy excuses are stuff like an artwork booklet, a collectors tin and useless trinkets that don't do anything.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Call me a whiner, but does anyone else dislike the trend of oversized metal cases for special editions? When there's a small artbook they're okay (Halo 3 or UT3), but after you've added the Soul Calibur IV t-shirt to your wardrobe, you're left with a behemoth that looks out of place on the shelf with the rest of your games (assuming it fits), and you have to find something else to put in there, or leave the normal SCIV case out. The RE5 set was exactly what I would prefer: a regular-sized metal case, with all the swag contained in a cardboard box to be trashed/recycled once it gets home.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If I buy a game I wont always go for the CE or LE, sometimes all they do is throw in a map of the game world, an art book and a making of DVD. As if those 3 things can justify the extra $30 or $40.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I rarely buy the C.E., it's either gotta be worth it, or all they have left. I got the Devil May Cry 4 special edition and it came with some cheesy but nice extras for 10 bucks more. It even had 4 eps of the anime for free. I can't see myself buying a collectors edition that comes with toy nightvision goggles for a lot of cash

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
duckfi8 said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Hmmmmmm.
I am GUILTY!
the new splinter cell special edition will have those patches
hmmmm.
Now may be the time for me to get into Stealth action games....

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wonder how the AC2 collectors edition will do? I love my Ezio statue. A super gigantic tin. Not caring about the art book, though.

And what'll happen with the ME2 CE.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
laserwulf said:
Call me a whiner, but does anyone else dislike the trend of oversized metal cases for special editions?
Hell no, ya whiner, that's the whole point. Well, part of the point. Big boxes are awesome. Have you seen the box for the Neverwinter Nights CE? It's frikkin' epic! It came with a ton of really cool shit so it actually needed to be that size, but man, you're not going to find too many boxes bigger than that one.

Current PC packaging is boring. You ever see the box for Ultrabots? I'll take more of that shit any day.