Ultra-Strong Wallpaper Defeats Wrecking Ball

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ultra-Strong Wallpaper Defeats Wrecking Ball

Tired of jerks knocking down your walls with construction equipment? New bomb-proof X-Flex wallpaper has you covered.

[vimeo=7558394]

Everybody has That One Guy in their life - you know, That One Guy who's such a jackass that if you had a crane and wrecking ball, you wouldn't hesitate to smash his house to bits? Don't pretend you don't know who That One Guy is. Unfortunately, even if you did have three hours with heavy construction equipment to do as you wished, if That One Guy's house is using X-Flex wallpaper, you're pretty much stuck - as seen in the video above.

X-Flex isn't flimsy paper crap, but rather sheets of "elastic polymer wrap" sandwiching a layer of Kevlar-esque material, that bonds so tightly to the wall it's on - and is yet still incredibly flexible - that it will help the wall keep its shape even if hit by bomb blasts, reports Pop Sci [http://www.popsci.com/bown/2009/product/x-flex-blast-protection-system]. Yes, you read that right - it's wallpaper that's stronger than the wall it's attached to.

The X-Flex technology is targeted at military bases in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as other places where explosions are a conceivable risk, such as chemical plants. Which probably means that it'll be too expensive for mere civilians to purchase (at least for now) ... so actually, the odds that That One Guy will have it are pretty damn slim. Happy wrecking balling!

(Via Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5406309/bomb%20proof-wallpaper-is-stronger-than-the-wall-it-papers])

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Holy Shit! That wallpaper's gonna save lives!..............................or walls.............................

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
DanielPowell33 said:
Thats so awesome. Screw digging a bomb shelter, just line your house with this stuff.
Screw the wall, just build a HOUSE out of this stuff. And duct tape.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Wow, that's quite an invention.

It's always strange what some people come up with. Brilliance no doubt, but strange.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
...I guess the Kool-Aid man is out of business -.-

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
That is awesome.
Can we expect a duct tape version?
That's the only way I can think of to make it cooler.

One minor worry I have is children.
Sure,it may be bomb-proof, but I'll put money on some random toddler finding a way to ruin it if it ever becomes available to civilians.

EDIT:
ansem1532 said:
...I guess the Kool-Aid man is out of business -.-
Thank you so much for that image.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Holy molly dancing Jesus on the lake! A wallpaper that's stronger than the wall!

How about making clothes with that? Sure it won't be confortable but it's a bombproof shirt! Like, come on! How cool is that?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Furburt said:
How...helpful? Thankfully I don't live in Northern Ireland at the moment so bomb blasts aren't much of an issue, but it's nice to know it's there.
Oh snap!

You went there!

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
DanielPowell33 said:
Thats so awesome. Screw digging a bomb shelter, just line your house with this stuff.
Unfortunately, no matter how strong your wallpaper is, it won't protect you from your house falling on you. I mean, the wrecking ball did take out the wall part.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
DanielPowell33 said:
Unfortunately, no matter how strong your wallpaper is, it won't protect you from your house falling on you. I mean, the wrecking ball did take out the wall part.
But if the wallpaper prevents the internal supports from blowing up in a well-constructed building, it essentially does make the building bomb-proof (for most definitions of bomb).
Then again, so does Pickup Bed Liner sprayed on the wall.

Cool stuff.