Hackers Create Super Mario Bros. Wii Level Editors

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Hackers Create Super Mario Bros. Wii Level Editors

Two editors have popped up on the web which allow you to create your own Super Mario Bros. Wii levels, if you got the chops.

On the day that Super Mario Bros. Wii was released here in the states, two different hackers released programs which allow the user to edit any level in the game, or to craft an original one. Tanooki, by Virus and Vash, was released first but Treeki claims he was working on his editor, Reggie!, for quite some time. The two different editors were released independently, but there does seem to be evidence that the two teams are considering working together to make one ultra-hacking tool for SMBW. Videos of their handiwork can be found here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCuXfYt-4zA&feature=player_embedded].

The editors work only on a PC, so you would need to emulate the Wii platform there in order to begin working on your own levels. Any levels you made or received from others would then have to be played on the emulator. Unless you had the ability to burn a disc that your Wii console could read. I'm not saying I know that such tools exist, but, if they did, (they do) using them in combination with these level editors might make for some interesting Wii levels surfacing on consoles around the world.

Of course, this is all in a legal grey area. Tinkering with the game like this is most definitely against Nintendo's E.U.L.A. and T.O.S. As long as none of the hackers attempt to charge for using Nintendo's copyrights, however, then the cops most likely aren't going to come knocking on their door.

That caveat lasts until some industrious hacker starts asking for Paypal donations in order to download his Super Mario Bros. Wii level in which Mario can jump through a group of coins which conspicuously looks like a part of the male anatomy. Then we've got problems.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/17/hackers-create-dueling-new-super-mario-bros-wii-level-editors/]

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I understand why this is illegal, but I think it's a great thing, honestly.

If you could have users doing this, imagine the following it could get (see: LBP except with much more players).

That said, those videos are really impressive, but I don't have or plan to download a Wii emulator.

However, I'd love to see the stuff that people come up with. :)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It may be illegal but c'mon if you own it I really don't think Nintendo should really care.

On another note, very cool editor, seems like the equivlant to Segas Sonic level editor for their website, except you get a controller with their subscription...or you did anyway been a while since I heard about that.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
Nintendo are going to be fuming when they hear about this, but hey? It looks like a lot of fun, I've only edited sprite maps before, never anything else though.

Sep 4, 2009
Its not like Nintendo couldn't have included a Little Big Planet style level editor with a Mario game. But they didn't. So now some gamers with a creative streak in them will be reading up on these editors instead of paying for Nintendo games with built in editors, developing a community, and adding appeal to the Wii as a gaming platform. Its an opportunity squandored.

Legal action may stymy some of Nintendo's problem, but there's a growing gap between Nintendo and the gamers who play (or *once-upon-a-time played*...) Nintendo's games, and its the resulting lack of communication and loss of mutual respect that has comes with it that now causes this to happen. Nintendo would be wiser to dedicate its resources preventing this problem rather than trying to lawyer it out of existance.

And its not like hacked Mario levels are a completely new phenomenon - Super Mario Frustration wasn't released yesterday.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Seems like a fun idea

Anyway, I think I should buy a Wii, these commercials are torturing me!

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Did they really not include a level editor in the actual game? That seems like an incredibly stupid move on their part.

OP: Sometimes hackers can make a positive impact on gaming, Yay for them!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That caveat lasts until some industrious hacker starts asking for Paypal donations in order to download his Super Mario Bros. Wii
Admittedly I'm not a lawyer guy, but if he's just asking for donations, wouldn't that still be legal? It's only if he starts charging people for it. If it's free, but he plonks his PayPal address on there and says "Hey, if you've got some free money, feel free to donate me some cash because you like my work." is it still straying on the side of legality rather than plunging off a cliff into the underbelly of crime?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Tales of Golden Sun said:
What's the big deal?
It's not like a lot of people have Wii emulators on their PC's.
This is huge incentive to get one though.

For me at least, plus you can get HD Wii on PC.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Nintendo should've just released the level editor in the first place, or they should buy the reverse engineered one and relese it.

Almost any game will become better if it's released with its editor. The better the editor, the betetr the user-created content, and peopel love extra conent.