Mass Effect 2 Box Art Fails to Impress

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mass Effect 2 Box Art Fails to Impress

Mass Effect 2 is looking great so far. Its newly-revealed box art, on the other hand, isn't.

While rumors that BioWare agents have kidnapped a member of The Escapist's staff and spirited them away to their well-hidden battle fortress concealed deep within the frozen Canadian wilderness in order to force them (at gunpoint, no less) to play through a bit of Mass Effect 2 have yet to be corroborated, everything we've seen of the title is looking pretty damn ace so far - the game seems to be improving on the first installment in almost every way...

...Except where box art is concerned. The official box art went up seen worse [http://masseffect.bioware.com/media/screenshots] in my gaming career, it's... kinda underwhelming.

It isn't so much that the art itself is bad, as it is that it's incredibly generic. Ooh, a manly-looking brown-haired protagonist with a futuristic-looking machine gun, so edgy! The first game's box art wasn't a Leonardo da Vinci masterpiece [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Mass_Effect_cover.PNG], but it at least communicated the idea of "this is an incredibly deep and complex space opera," rather than looking like "this is a sci-fi shooter just like every other sci-fi shooter, only your sidekicks are a guy with a lemon for a face and the girl from House," to borrow a description from our very own Malygris.

Nothing about this art appeals to me in the least. In fact, were I to see this on shelves having not heard of the game before, this art would make me less likely to buy it.

Is it just me? Am I making something out of nothing here, with sensibilities far more delicate than I'd have ever guessed? Or is this box art just that damn uninspired?

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
It's not bad but...is that really all they could come up with? The box-art for Mass Effect 1 was pretty sweet, as was the box-art for KOTOR. This on the other hand, is just a tad generic.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
They could print it on blank cardboard box with "mass effect 2" written somewhere somewhat noticeable, and I'd still shell out for it.

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
Something's off with it. I can't put my finger on it, but it might be the colors. It looks more like a screenshot then box art for a game.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
It could be better but I couldn't really care. When people critique the box art I find they miss the big picture of how good the actual game is.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
Generic is the term that springs to mind on seeing this. I can't say that I'd guess its an RPG if I didn't have any prior knowledge of the game.

Hydrus

Oct 16, 2008
Wow. That looks.....awful. I'm glad I know enough to look past the box art, and see the no doubt amazing game underneath.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Ooooh! A game about space marines! We don't get nearly enough of these!

Will it have multiplayer deathmatch?

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
It looks like some B movie film cover, where are they looking anyway?

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I'm getting a bit of a déjà vu when seeing this after the new box art for Zeno Clash...

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Well this is... unexpected. I'm getting flashbacks of Mega Man box art.

It honestly does look like the cover of some generic shooter, not the sequel to a very well written space opera RPG.

G1eet said:
Shamus Young said:

Have you even played it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
It is indeed horrible box art.
Like a bad B-movie.
They'll do themselves a disservice releasing the game in this box.

Then again, it's the quality of the game itself that counts. But obviously I want the game to sell well in order to spawn future sequels and bring success to one of the few extremely strong game developers we have. So whip up some better box art, Bioware, damn it.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Shamus Young said:

Have you even played it? (The first one, that is.)

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
I don't care if theres goatse on the cover its not going to change my opinion of the game. You guys should do the same.

RoseBridge

Oct 27, 2009
It looks like they copied and pasted the characters from the concept art, looks bad.
Game will be fun though.

Emlyn

Sep 21, 2009
Shamus Young said:

And that is exactly the issue with it. Seriously, while we have all been tolled not to judge a book(game) by it's cover I believe that is usually ignored. Therefor the whole point of box art is to sell the game to people who have never heard of it. Last I checked ME2 is an RPG that sells itself apart as edgier and such, not an generic run of the mill FPS. I don't know, maybe the box art should at least attempt to show this? Or am I completely off base here?

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
Game box art seems to be going the way of album and CD art covers in that it's slowly becoming non-essential to create an interesting look/feel to grab attention or impress customers.