Michael Atkinson Once Again Dismisses Gamers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Michael Atkinson Once Again Dismisses Gamers

South Australia Attorney General Michael Atkinson has reaffirmed his stance against an R18+ videogame rating in the country, saying in a letter written to a constituent that parents cannot prevent their children from playing adult videogames in the home.

Atkinson is widely reviled among gamers in Australia and, to a lesser extent, around the world for his unyielding opposition to the creation of an R18+ game rating. Because Australian law requires unanimous consent from all Attorneys General before any changes to the rating system can be made, Atkinson is seen by many as single-handedly ensuring that Australia is the only developed nation in the world in which mature gamers cannot legally play mature games.

But Atkinson is entirely unapologetic; in fact, on several occasions he has not only reiterated his belief in his rightness but dismissed concerns from gamers outright, at one point calling them "R18+ nerds [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90078-Australias-Atkinson-Has-No-Time-For-Nerds]." It's a point he made again in recent correspondence with a voter who asked about game classifications, saying that it's quite possible for adults to find games that will challenge them without having to resort to "depraved sex, gore and cruelty."

"It is important that you do not confuse the classification rating of a game with the game's sophistication, or the challenge or interest to the player," he wrote. "It does not follow that a game is more interesting to an adult simply because it contains extreme violence, explicit sexual material or highly offensive language. Indeed, with all the effort and money that goes into game development, coupled with the effects and graphics now available, there is no need to introduce these extreme elements. I am baffled and worried about why proponents of R18+ games are putting up their hands and saying, 'Give us more cruel sex and extreme violence!'"

Atkinson claims that since almost two-thirds of Australians in "gaming households" say classifications have no influence on their decision to buy a game, he "cannot fathom how State-enforced safeguards could exist to prevent R18+ games being bought by households with children" and, once they're in the home, how they could possibly be kept away from youngsters. "If adult gamers are so keen to have R18+ games, I expect children would be just as keen," he added.

Noting that he'll be up for re-election early next year, Atkinson said he will continue to fight efforts to introduce an R18+ videogame rating. "I would welcome advocates of R18+ computer games testing public acceptance of my policy by standing a candidate against me in that general election," he concluded. "I think you will find this issue has little traction with my constituents who are more concerned with real-life issues than home entertainment in imaginary worlds."

The entire letter, which is actually quite long and offers a very detailed look at Atkinson's perspective on the state of videogaming, is available here [http://www.mediafire.com/?zdud1mzjufy]. (PDF format)

Source: Game Culture [http://www.gameculture.com/2009/11/16/australian-attorney-general-expresses-unabashed-support-censorship-letter-aussie-gamer]

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
So basically his argument boils down to "Parents can't take care of children. Only I can". Why exactly is this man in a position of power?

Sexy Street

Sep 15, 2009
I hate this man with all my might, and wish to see him fall from a very high place. Freedom of speech is dying in australia.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Malygris said:
"It is important that you do not confuse the classification rating of a game with the game's sophistication, or the challenge or interest to the player," he wrote. "It does not follow that a game is more interesting to an adult simply because it contains extreme violence, explicit sexual material or highly offensive language. Indeed, with all the effort and money that goes into game development, coupled with the effects and graphics now available, there is no need to introduce these extreme elements. I am baffled and worried about why proponents of R18+ games are putting up their hands and saying, 'Give us more cruel sex and extreme violence!'"
While I think the guy is a tool etc (oh what an eloquent nerd I am) It is unfortunate that this is pretty much how "mature" rated games are both marketed to gamers & look to anyone outside the gaming world. For all the "rights of free speech" & "adults can make their own decisions" etc, most gamer outrage does just seem to sound like "I want my games with titties blood & beer, gimmie gimmie gimmie." Hardly an argument thats going to sway the opinion of someone opposed to allowing an r18+ for just that reason.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
parents cannot prevent their children from playing adult videogames in the home
They could not buy their children adult rated games.

I am baffled and worried about why proponents of R18+ games are putting up their hands and saying, 'Give us more cruel sex and extreme violence!
Because it's entertaining? Because it can be used to tell a story? Because we're all colossal perverts?

State-enforced safeguards could exist to prevent R18+ games being bought by households with children
There shouldn't be any. Slap a rating on the box, educate parents, the parents can then decide what is and is not suitable to purchase for their children.

"I think you will find this issue has little traction with my constituents who are more concerned with real-life issues than home entertainment in imaginary worlds."
A multi-billion [monetary unit] industry is a real-life issue, last I checked.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Wow... Just when I thought there couldn't be anyone dumber than Jack Thompson or George W. Bush... Wow.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Heat, boxing kangaroos that regularly punch jets out of the air, ginormous spiders and aging politicians who fear the concept of changing times and the things that represent it?

I am so glad I don't live in Australia. Sounds like a terrible place to be.

In all seriousness, though, isn't a pro-gaming politician supposed to be running against him next year?

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Normally I would take the time to formulate an elaborate paragraph expounding just how idioticly stupid and morally questionable he and his stance on the issue are. However I'm rather tired and annoyed enough as it is, so I'll simply say.

What a prick.

Apr 28, 2008
So he is basically saying parents are too stupid to take care of their children?

Way to stike a chord with voters.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
This guy is a class A douche-bag, he's Jack Thompson with power. How the fuck haven't the Aussies gotten him out of power yet? He looks like an old bastard so hopefully the swine flu will dust his ass before elections. If not I propose an angry mob march its way down to wherever Aussies hold government and show this ass just how "real" this problem is.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Doc Theta Sigma said:
So basically his argument boils down to "Parents can't take care of children. Only I can". Why exactly is this man in a position of power?
Unfortunately for us, the first part, "parents can't take care of their children" has been reptedly proven time and time again. So long as the nanny state keeps removing a parents responsibility, his reasoning becomes more and more rational. It wouldn't surprise me if, in the near future, a law is passed preventing parents from giving their uner 18 (or 21 if the law changes) year old children any alcohol within their own home.

Atkinson said:
Give us more cruel sex and extreme violence!
I'm not a member of the ratings classification board, but my understanding is that anything depciting violent or extreme sex is not granted an R rating in film, why are we to assume that similar rating guides would not be followed in videogames (when they have, thus far, been more strict, as MA and M rated games are allowed to have relatively graphic sex scenes compared to videogames of the same rating).

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Malygris said:
he concluded. "I think you will find this issue has little traction with my constituents who are more concerned with real-life issues than home entertainment in imaginary worlds."
Key word here I think being 'imaginary.'

The man is milking a third tier issue for first tier credibility, "Look, I'm concerned about the children!"

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Same reason Bush was voted into office twice; human beings are the most retarded creatures on this planet.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
This guy is a class A douche-bag, he's Jack Thompson with power. How the fuck haven't the Aussies gotten him out of power yet?
Because of the way our politcal system works. When voting you are voting for your local area, hence everyone who lives in SA near Atkinson (can't remember the town's name off the top of my head). Thus, unless every video gamer in the country moves there and votes him out, he isn't going anywhere.