Square-Enix to Delay Japanese Launches for Foreigners

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Square-Enix to Delay Japanese Launches for Foreigners

JRPG giant Square-Enix wants to see more of its games achieve simultaneous worldwide releases - even if it means holding back the release in its native Japan.

Square-Enix has historically been very good at doing things like making games where androgynous teenagers clad entirely in belts and zippers kill God, but historically very bad at other things - such as getting its games released on a reasonable schedule outside of Japan. A look at the release dates of the six most recent Final Fantasy titles (not counting FFXI) in Japan and North America says it all:

[blockquote]Final Fantasy VI: April 2, 1994 JP, October 11, 1994 NA (6 Months)
Final Fantasy VII: January 31, 1997 JP, September 7, 1997 NA (7 Months)
Final Fantasy VIII: February 11, 1999 JP, September 9, 1999 NA (7 Months)
Final Fantasy IX: July 7, 2000 JP, November 14, 2000 NA (4 Months)
Final Fantasy X: July 19, 2001 JP, December 20, 2001 NA (5 Months)
Final Fantasy XII: March 16, 2006 JP, October 31, 2006 NA (7 Months)[/blockquote]

The shortest delay there was with FF9, which managed to eke out a NA release just four months after its launch in Japan, but the rest of the games took longer - with most of them taking over half a year to see release outside Japan (and gamers in PAL regions generally had to wait even longer).

Once upon a time, it was expected that games would come out in Japan well before they were released in the West, but those days are mostly behind us and for blockbuster titles, simultaneous worldwide releases seem to be the expectation nowadays. Given that these games have massive amounts of text to sift through, one might be inclined to blame the translation and localization progress, but that just doesn't fly in a world where Metal Gear Solid 4 can see a simultaneous release around the globe.

Amidst concerns that the March release date in North America and Europe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95024-Inafune-Japanese-Game-Industry-is-Finished] - just a comparatively meager three months after its Japanese release - as evidence of the company's drive to achieve global release parity.

"For the last three years, we have worked very hard to close the gap between Japanese release timing and North American and European release timing," he said. "We tried to go for the global, simultaneous release but that was something that was inconceivable, in a sense. But we have been able to close that release window gap to three months. For us, it was a very big step forward."

In fact, Wada says that in the future, Square-Enix plans to delay its Japanese launches in order to accommodate Western fans of its products with worldwide releases, though Final Fantasy XIII really "couldn't [be delayed] any longer." Don't get me wrong, Wada-san, I appreciate the sentiment, but ... wouldn't it just make sense to focus on simultaneous development, rather than artificially delaying your Japanese releases to make us foreigners happy? This isn't necessarily hurrying up the Western releases, it's just slowing down the Japanese ones - the only real tangible benefit I see here is that Western Final Fantasy fans don't have to worry so much about spoilers.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Unnecessarily delaying games seems like a prime example of poking the bear when it comes to how people react. but it is true that we won't have the entire game deconstructed and find every polygon analyzed before non-Japanese gamers can get their hands on the big games.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I has never bothered me if a game takes a while to come out outside of Japan so long as the wait is worth it, although this trend has seen me start learning Japanese so i can just import things.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
I agree with the simultaneous development of games for foreign markets if the game is marketable, which is the case for a Final Fantasy game. It would save development time and localization time. But at the same time with games like Final Fantasy the story tends to change during it's development cycles and makes localization harder until it's all finalized.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I don't care about getting it at a later date.

What I do care about is missing out on special editions like KH2:Final Mix+ and KH RE: CoM (never got an EU release).

I'm happy to wait - just as long as it gets here eventually.

Candrian

Mar 27, 2009
So the American release dates are a few months behind, big deal. Look at the European release dates or the Australian ones, We're YEARS behind! I can understand waiting longer for a german or french version, but why am I having to wait so long for between an American release and a British release?
This simultaneous release will undoubtedly be a nice change stateside but it'll still take a couple of ice ages for a game to cross the atlantic.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Candrian said:
So the American release dates are a few months behind, big deal. Look at the European release dates or the Australian ones, We're YEARS behind! I can understand waiting longer for a german or french version, but why am I having to wait so long for between an American release and a British release?
This simultaneous release will undoubtedly be a nice change stateside but it'll still take a couple of ice ages for a game to cross the atlantic.
The March 2010 date for FF13 is North America as well as Europe, so looks like there's bright news for you folks as well :)

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
HA! beat you to this news on my final fantasy user group funk -jumps in glee- well at least on the release facts.

Final Fantasy XIII Fastest FF Release Ever (Yay for misleading titles! read the damn article!)
LeonHellsvite posted on 13 Nov 2009 10:30 am

Fans of Final Fantasy should be pretty happy with Square Enix right now, not only because of the announcement of the March 9, 2010 release date, but the facts behind it.

Previously the Final Fantasies with the closest Japanese and North American release dates were Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy IX. Both IV and IX came out in July in Japan, in their respective years (1991 and 2000), and then North America in November, again in their respective years. Four months isn't a bad wait, but Final Fantasy IX took another four months to reach Europe, and Final Fantasy IV didn't make it until years later on the PlayStation.

Final Fantasy XIII however is releasing in North America and Europe less than three months after it's Japanese release. Never before has a Final Fantasy's regional release dates been so close together, and never before has a main series Final Fantasy launched in both North America and Europe simultaneously.

In January 2009 the Guardian reported Square Enix saying Final Fantasy XIII would be after April, 2010. However, in May 2009, Producer Yoshinori Kitase told VideoGamer.com that they would like the Japanese, North American, and European release dates as close as possible.
... well yours is still better than mine >.> hands down... but still

but on the topic at hand, I am very glad they are doing this and hope they can soon do simultaneous international releases

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
It's about time. I'm not sure delaying it in Japan is the right way to word how you're doing it, but whatever gets us are games "sooner" works for me.

In Limbo

Nov 4, 2008
I don't understand the delays, really. You finalise a part of the script, you send it to the localisation studios to start working on. Other developers aren't having a problem with this, why Square-Enix?

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
In Limbo said:
I don't understand the delays, really. You finalise a part of the script, you send it to the localisation studios to start working on. Other developers aren't having a problem with this, why Square-Enix?
Final Fantasy can be um, rather convoluted. And this isn't foreign terrain for RPGs. However, a lot of times the writing is an afterthought in development (and is second to plot and design mechanics) to the point where the script may be altered over and over. It's hard to send pieces to the localization teams if something keeps changing.

Makes more sense to start the bulk of the process later in the development cycle. Though it is great that SE is trying to close that gap as much as possible. Though their method (delaying release in Japan) is rather backwards, IMO.

In Limbo

Nov 4, 2008
Anarien said:
In Limbo said:
Final Fantasy can be um, rather convoluted. And this isn't foreign terrain for RPGs. However, a lot of times the writing is an afterthought in development (and is second to plot and design mechanics) to the point where the script may be altered over and over. It's hard to send pieces to the localization teams if something keeps changing.

Makes more sense to start the bulk of the process later in the development cycle. Though it is great that SE is trying to close that gap as much as possible. Though their method (delaying release in Japan) is rather backwards, IMO.
Okay, fair enough. I always assumed the script was written first, but I guess when you have years of programming to make a game the script is the least of your worries. Still, I'm sure the process could be streamlined some.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Well, I know the German localisation is finished... But I was chatting to the guy behind the counter at Game this morning, and he's been told that the FFXIII release date has been 'withdrawn' by Squeenix, and Game employees are being told to say nada, zip, zilch, niente (given what happened with FFXII)

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo... If we're expecting the same to happen as FFXII, we might just about get FFXIII over here before the Olympics hit London. Maybe.

Beatrix

Jul 1, 2009
It stops people from importing a game rather than waiting for release and levels the field for competitive games and leaderboards.
It sucks for the Japanese, but I'm not against this.

...though maybe I'm just saying that because we never ever get games first.