Halo: Reach to Premiere at Spike VGAs

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Halo: Reach to Premiere at Spike VGAs

Good news, Halo fans - next year's Halo: Reach will be getting a big unveiling at next month's Spike TV Video Game Awards ceremony.

Here's what we know about Halo: Reach - it's slated for a Fall 2010 release, it Captain Tightpants himself wants in [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92752-Halo-Reach-Could-Use-Natal]. Oh, and we also know the story, covered in prequel novel The Fall of Reach, but other than that we don't know much.

That might change next month, as a Tweet from GameTrailers' Geoff Keighley [http://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/5829931405] hints that Halo: Reach may be showing up at the Spike TV Video Game Awards on December 12th. Well, okay, he doesn't so much hint it as blatantly say it outright:

[blockquote]The world premiere of HALO: REACH happens only at the 2009 Video Game Awards, Live 12/12 on Spike.[/blockquote]

Feel free to argue amongst yourself as to what exactly "world premiere" consists of. Hopefully we'll get to see gameplay footage, but whether or not it would actually be any different than that of Halo 3 or ODST remains to be seen.

And I'll probably still forget to watch them like I do every year.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/11/18/vga-to-host-the-world-premiere-of-halo-reach/])

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
cool, i've been wondering what it'll look like, and what my beta key from ODST will get me in time...
...Yeah, that's right, its a fun series about shooting some aliens for some reason.
at least it didn't have a good story that got wasted in the sequels, like a certain game lots of people are talking about ATM.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Knowing Bungie, we probably won't get to see a lick of gameplay footage.

But then again, this is the last Halo game Bungie will make, so I'm interested in seeing it.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
MR T3D said:
cool, i've been wondering what it'll look like, and what my beta key from ODST will get me in time...
...Yeah, that's right, its a fun series about shooting some aliens for some reason.
at least it didn't have a good story that got wasted in the sequels, like a certain game lots of people are talking about ATM.
Why do you keep complaining about MW2. You seem obsessed about it, for someone who supposedly hates it...
OT: That's cool. If it's anything like ODST, it'll be a reskin of the game before it, with very buggy features, like Firefight.
indeed, i do spend more time than i'd like thinking about it, but ony a month ago i thought it was going to be the best FPS ever, and then they did all that stuff that turned my passion for it from loving to hatred.
anyaway, back on topic, the game is supposed to be moar than a reskin and a horde mode, and ODST was damn fine game, i had lots of fun with it, and a okay story.
supposedly the game is a different engine, but i'm not sure..

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I try not to let my inner fanboy out when I hear announcements like this but I gotta say... I'm hella excited.

It'll probably only be a new trailer and probably not anything that will reveal any gameplay elements but I've been dying to have something other than just a teaser trailer and some leaks that some douchebag put on the interwebz.

Symplify

Jun 13, 2009
I intend to buy the buy just to see how the whole thing will eventually end. I've been playing the series for 6 or more years now, since Halo 1 on the PC, and damn it I'll see it end. Even if it is the beginning.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
so all we know is the story, and judging by how the halo franchise (whit the exception of the godawfull rts) have evolved over the last years we also know close to everything about the visual style and gameplay.
i will eat my own 360 if the revealing will surprise me or add anything new to the games, and i will pre order the game as soon as it becomes availably, because i am an sucker for brightly lighted and colorful shooters.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
Knowing Bungie, we probably won't get to see a lick of gameplay footage.

But then again, this is the last Halo game Bungie will make, so I'm interested in seeing it.
Do you expect gameplay footage given it's still got a year to go before expected release? Even if there is enough material for gameplay footage, it will probably be extremely buggy and hashed together and/or only be test levels designed to test-play the potential new engine and features.

Anyway, as a Halo fanboy I'm looking forward to this a lot. The worst thing about not having XBL is that until I do get it, I won't be able to play the Reach beta. However, it still looks awesome assuming it will follow the plot of the book. That said, I'd prefer it to expand much more on the book and give a wider story (perhaps we might get to see what the Marines and ODSTs were doing when evacuating CASTLE Base, for instance, or maybe we'll finally get to see Catherine Halsey in the games...).

Then again, in the book three Spartan-IIs destroy an entire Covenant ground force by effectively nuking a Covenant vessel from the inside by sending a nuke up through the gravity lift. Then getting out of the blast radius in about ten seconds, escaping the blast, on Banshees (and anyone who's played the games will know how slow and crappy they are, unlike Seraphs and Vampires...).

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Did anyone else hear that? The unmistakeable sound of millions of Halo fanboys changing their underwear in sync.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Actually read the HALO: Fall of Reach novel a couple of years back on a long flight (the only thing that looked of interest in the airport shoppes), and actually found it pretty goddamn interesting. It had shades of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game mixed in with some of the more generally badass elements of sci-fi over the last decade. Was the writing an absolutely timeless epic? Of course not. Was it fucking sweet, and worth the $15 the airport raped me for it? ...Yes, although in a shameful way.

Anyway, it's about goddamn time, and calls to mind the anticipation felt waiting for HALO 2's E3 trailer years ago (before I found out it was a rushed job, moved from 360 to XBOX 1 to meet a whiney fanbase's demands or some shit, with more bugs up its ass than a mummified Egyptian pharaoh).

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
HG131 said:
Funk, they make a new engine every time (Besides for ODST). Every game Bungie made is on a different engine than the others. Even Marathon 1/2/Infinity. They said that they were shocked with what they could do with the Halo 3 Engine to improve it. Reach will run on a new Engine. Cost or time effective? No. Badass? Yes.
Really? That's strange, seems like a lot of unecessary work.

OP: It'll probably just be another Halo game, a vastly improved Halo game that should provide for some decent fun, but just another Halo game nonetheless.