Steam Is 70% of PC Digital Distribution Market

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Steam Is 70% of PC Digital Distribution Market

Stardock chief Brad Wardell says that his company's Impulse service is second place in the digital distribution business, but it's a distant second - Valve's Steam platform makes up a whopping 70% of the market.

There's probably a saying somewhere about how having the humility to admit defeat is a noble thing indeed. And while Brad Wardell - CEO of Sins of a Solar Empire and Demigod developer Stardock - isn't exactly admitting defeat by saying that Stardock's own Impulse digital distribution network is second place, it takes a certain kind of grace to admit just how badly Steam is beating off his pants.

"Our estimation is that Steam - as the current market leader - enjoys approximately 70 percent of the overall digital distribution market with Impulse at 10 percent and all others combined at 20 percent in terms of actual dollars generated per month," wrote Wardell in the annual Stardock consumer report [http://www.stardock.com/press/Reports/Stardock2009.pdf].

"Steam and Impulse both have the advantage of exclusive content (Left 4 Dead, Half-Life, Sins of a Solar Empire, Demigod, etc.)," Wardell added, saying that he expected digital distribution to make up about 25% of total revenue for an average PC title.

Wardell briefly discussed the difficulties of running a service in direct competition with Valve's juggernaut platform, specifically addressing Valve's success in licensing Steamworks to other publishers and developers as DRM.

"Once a game requires Steamworks, it is effectively cut off from us, which limits our content. Examples of this include THQ's Dawn of War II, Sega's Empire: Total War, and more recently Activision's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2 ... The problem is that it is not practical for us to install a game that in turn requires the installation of a competitor's store and platform in order to play it." This outlook is reflected in his company's refusal to offer MewTwo on Impulse (a stance that is shared by other digital distribution networks such as Direct2Drive).

While I'm certainly not buying into the Randy Pitchford school of Steam-bashing, I think it's important that even the most ardent Valve fanboy recognize that despite Steam's dominance, having competition like Stardock's Impulse is a good thing. A total monopoly on digital distribution would mean that A.) the service could charge whatever its operators felt like and B.) the operators would have little reason to improve.

So thanks, Brad Wardell and Impulse. You may be getting sand kicked in your face like someone in dire need of Charles Atlas' bodybuilding, but I'm glad you're here.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Not surprised. Surprised someone had the stones and honesty to say it though. More power to Mr. Wardell.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Steam is on top, and with retailers stocking fewer and fewer PC titles, it will more than likely stay that way.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
5 year old digital distribution service has a huge market share lead on a year old competitor, how shocking!

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Hmm, I should take a look at what Impulse has to offer, actually. I never really looked past Steam and Direct2Drive. It's good to feed the competition a bit, it keeps the games and services on a certain level of quality for PC gamers.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
In other news,the sky is blue.

I´m sorry but this is hardly a surprise.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
Impulse is such a stupid name. Who the hell is going to ask their friend if they have a 'Impulse account'? Steam is 1 sybil and easy to say.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
RAND00M said:
In other news,the sky is blue.

I´m sorry but this is hardly a surprise.
Blue?!? *Shocked*

This is hardly a suprise really, considering that Steam broke the 2 online million users and is actually staying there it's just going to keep growing.

Theissen

Jan 8, 2008
Impulse is in certain aspects much better than Steam.

For example, they don't have the 1? = $1 policy like Steam has. At one point in time, Steam had Red Faction: Guerilla 25 % off to a price of 37,5?.
I looked around a bit and found out that Impulse also had the game off, but 50 % rather than 25 % amounting to a total price of $ 20!. That's almost 1 third of the sale price Steam had.

In conclusion, Impulse is a very good competitor to Steam.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I like impulse but the steam overlay is just so handy so I tend to have it running all the time and that makes it hard to bother using something else

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Good on them, but I like to buy all my games hard-copy anyway.

Its a psycological thing, I like being able to go to a shop and buy something visceral, and the anticipation of getting home and loading up agame for the first time is exiting to me, as opposed to clicking a button and waiting for something to download.

.. also, it gets me out of the house.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
It's 70% of a market that is only 5%-10% of the entire PC game sales market.

Not exactly verging on a monopoly here.

Khell_Sennet said:
Steam being that big is a bad thing, because non-digital games are now requiring the service. That you can go to the store, buy a game, and STILL be forced to use Steam is not just a pissoff, but greatly troubling.
It's not like they're making you pay to use Steam. Just consider that for a moment.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
L33tsauce_Marty said:
Impulse is such a stupid name. Who the hell is going to ask their friend if they have a 'Impulse account'? Steam is 1 sybil and easy to say.
Ah, but you forget, these people are PC gamers, and they, unlike you, have the ability to use polysyllabic words in everyday conversation.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Hey, doesn't escapist's War Cry have a store? I bought SWAT 4 Gold Edition off of it IIRC.

Still, I may love steam but if I see a good deal, I'm going to take it, so having options like impulse, D2D, and War Cry is nice.

I was ALMOST going to get Impulse's DDE of Dragon Age Origins, but I decided I would rather have a hard copy of that.