Modern Warfare 2 Writer Claims Controversy Was Worth the Risk

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Modern Warfare 2 Writer Claims Controversy Was Worth the Risk

The script-writer of Modern Warfare 2 says that the airport mission was needed to push the game to the next level.

Jesse Stern was a scriptwriter on both of the Modern Warfare games, in addition to his day job as writer on NCIS. In an interview over at GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213011/modern-warfare-2-writer-the-airport-level-was-a-risk-we-had-to-take/], he discusses why the airport level was a risk that needed to be made in order to make a great game. (Spoiler note! If you are uncomfortable with reading spoilers to the story of MW2, you shouldn't have clicked on this story and you should definitely stop reading now.)

"I hope that game developers take the lesson that you've got to try things. You've got to go out on a limb sometimes. This is a triple-A game and the top grosser of all time with this huge budget behind it, yet we're still taking major chances wherever we can and the airport level was a risk we had to take. Sometimes you take huge risks and it really works. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. But if you don't take the chance, you're not going to make something new," Stern said.

When asked what would be the "right" moral action when you are playing an undercover CIA agent posing as a terrorist, Stern said,

There's three things you can do. Once you realize what's happening, you can open fire on the other terrorists that are with you. They'll turn around and kill you quickly, but that is an option. You can do nothing for the first half of that level too. You're not obligated to do anything other than walk and watch, which I think portrays another completely different feeling of helplessness. And the third option is [that] you can open fire.

Every single person in testing opened fire on the crowd, which is human nature. It feels so real but at the same time it's a video game and the response to it has been fascinating. I never really knew you could elicit such a deep feeling from a video game, but [that level] has.

Given that Kevin McBride, the actor who voices "Soap" MacTavish, has mentioned talks of a MW2 film [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96220-MW2-Voice-Actor-Says-Call-Of-Duty-Movie-In-Works], it was inevitable that Stern would be involved. "Jason West, Steve Macuda and the rest of the guys from Infinity Ward have an interest in doing it and Activision wants to do it. I'd be very curious to give that a try. You've got your source material to draw on, which is the biggest advantage in getting one of these movies off the ground," Stern said.

It is interesting to hear about the game from a script-writer's perspective, instead of just the game designers. Perhaps other studios will take a cue from Infinity Ward and think about hiring top-notch Hollywood script writers to the team.

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
It is interesting to hear about the game from a script-writer's perspective, instead of just the game designers. Perhaps other studios will take a cue from Infinity Ward and think about hiring top-notch Hollywood script writers to the team.
I'd much rather they hired top-notch non-Hollywood script writers, but Doom 4 already has one.*taps nose* :)

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
The first time I played the airport scene, I didn't feel a thing. Not because I'm a monster or anything, but the crowd looked like the same 3 people copied and pasted over and over again, so I didn't feel bad for shooting them.

When I played it again though...damn. I felt like such a bastard. Kudos to the writer.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
That's interesting that everyone in the test group opened fire. I wonder how many opened fire on the terrorists first (one of my first thoughts). I am looking forward to playing through the campaign though.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
I must say, I loved the way the double-betrayal was played out in the game. Also, I opened fire as well. How can you be a good undercover agent unless you play the role out in full?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Well I have to admit it, this guy has balls of steel. This guy alone has made Infinity Ward into a shining example for the other high budget game developers out there. Perhaps now we'll start seeing some MAINSTREAM GAMES.....TAKING RISKS!!!!!

C0nn0r666

Oct 19, 2008
man i think he's right about the everyone opened fire thing. I did it cause i thought they would shot men for not

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I had a grin on my face killing the people crawling along the ground, do I have problems?

Mr.Black

Oct 27, 2009
I didn't fire on the civilians, only the cops that tried to kill me. Self-preservation y'know.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
teutonicman said:
That's interesting that everyone in the test group opened fire. I wonder how many opened fire on the terrorists first (one of my first thoughts). I am looking forward to playing through the campaign though.
I wonder why none of them simply didn't fire on the crowd at all. I only returned fire from the security personal myself.

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
I'm glad they did it because it really does give a feeling of helplessness if you just watch

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
Well I have to admit it, this guy has balls of steel. This guy alone has made Infinity Ward into a shining example for the other high budget game developers out there. Perhaps now we'll start seeing some MAINSTREAM GAMES.....TAKING RISKS!!!!!
oh, damn. you did not just say IW is genius because of MW2. maybe if you said this two years ago, because CoD4 was freaking a awesome SP campaign. they bloody spoil most of the game before release, basically stung together as many kewl set-peice battles together as they could, BS'd a plot putting you in another lame-ass OTP SF group.

i will admit, if they made the whole game from some national guard guy stateside through the whole invasion, i might have picked it up.

so everyone in testing opened fire...wow... IRL i know 2 people whom played the game, neither opened fire. its sad that that's apparently human nature to do..
and NO SHIT IT WAS WORTH THE RISK, even though i fail to see the risk in a sequel to a well-received game.
go do that with an original IP, then i might say you're taking risks.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
MR T3D said:
so everyone in testing opened fire...wow... IRL i know 2 people whom played the game, neither opened fire. its sad that that's apparently human nature to do..
and NO SHIT IT WAS WORTH THE RISK, even though i fail to see the risk in a sequel to a well-received game.
go do that with an original IP, then i might say you're taking risks.
i agree with that, but then again
I have a assumption that were going to see alot more of this controversy rubbish in games now, because as we all know, the game industry has a tendency to copy EVERYTHING that people do that seemed to be a stroke of genius at the time

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I still don't see the controversy. Killing innocent people en masse is how I play most of my games.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
poncho14 said:
I had a grin on my face killing the people crawling along the ground, do I have problems?
Nope, not at all... if you were someone who was playing with yourself while you were killing them though... it may be a different position and you may want to seek help.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Infinity Ward Action Item list for MW2:

Step 1: copy-paste code from MW1
Step 2: Add controversy
Step 3: Profit!

(Still to do: add new content, like maybe, if there's time.)

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Only the game itself is more pathethic that "No More Russian". Controversy was worth the risk?. Please. The only controversy here is that IW released such a turd and it's selling so well.

And the actor is Kevin McKidd, not Kevin McBride.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Grampy_bone said:
Infinity Ward Action Item list for MW2:

Step 1: copy-paste code from MW1
Step 2: Add controversy
Step 3: Profit!

(Still to do: add new content, like maybe, if there's time.)
This basically, also I was supprised to find out that Modern Warfare 2 actually had a writers, I assumed work experience kids just knocked it up on a Friday afternoon

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Watched a tube vid of that opening sequence, and my first reaction was 'why is he firing?' Pretty sure I wouldn't have fired automatically - maybe next time through, for lols, but definitely not initially. Hell, the guy in the vid was launching nades into the crowds and everything... made me squirm a little, what with the double helplessness of watching this scene without any input at all.

It was when the looped canned screams started to overlap each other that the immersion broke for me - hearing the same woman's scream start three times half a second after the previous started just sounds silly, as does seeing a crowd made of the same 4 stock people. A little bit more work, a more compellingly realistic scene.

Can't believe that all the testers opened fire though. I guess for some people when you sit at a computer and get told to play the game you switch off - actually, that's what I thought I would do before I saw the footage.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
MR T3D said:
HardRockSamurai said:
oh, damn. you did not just say IW is genius because of MW2. maybe if you said this two years ago, because CoD4 was freaking a awesome SP campaign. they bloody spoil most of the game before release, basically stung together as many kewl set-peice battles together as they could, BS'd a plot putting you in another lame-ass OTP SF group.

first...calm down...

Second, I said that Infinity Ward was a "shining example" because of Modern Warfare 2, not "genius." Are you really going to ignore one of the most important risks taken by a video game company in the past decade, just because you have some personal vendetta against the game's campaign?

Infinity Ward may not be "geniuses" (I mean, lets face it, they can't even bring themselves to start a new franchise), but they're certainly worth applauding for doing something that hasn't been done before, and facing the consequences of doing so head on.