Big Screen DSi Released in Japan

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Big Screen DSi Released in Japan

It went from rumour to fact in less than a month, but the new large-screen DSi has been released in Japan this week end.

The first we heard about a bigger DSi came from a scan of a Japanese newspaper [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95742-Rumor-Nintendo-to-Release-Bigger-DSi], and it was dismissed as speculation and rumour by Nintendo. Now, less than a month later, the DSi LL has gone from rumour to bona fide product and has been released in Japanese stores.

The LL boasts two 4.2inch screens, but otherwise has the same specifications as its smaller-screened sibling. The western launch of the DSi LL, or DSi XL, is set for the first quarter of 2010, sadly too late for Christmas.

The DSi LL retails for slightly more than the old DSi, at 20,000 yen.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/21/nintendo-dsi-ll-set-loose-in-japan/]

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Now this is just silly. I mean, I was kind of okay with the DSi mainly because it added a few new features like a brighter screen, more streamlined controls, and the ability to take photos. But this doesn't seem to provide enough new benefits to justify getting it. And the fact that it can't play GBA games doesn't help.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
I'll just stick with my "two-models old" DS Lite for now. It has yet to fail me. Also, wouldn't the screen be a bit fuzzy, being that the screen resolution is the same?

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Good lord! I don't even think the DSi has even been out for a year and they all ready have another one out!!! (correct me if I'm wrong) Oh well it's the same thing just bigger. No need for me to sell my DSi just to get this......

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Why make a portable platformer big screen? Doesn't that sort of... go against the whole thing about portable platformers being easy to take with you and such?

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, ok, bigger screens, nice, but they didn't raise the resolution, kinda defeats the purpose to me.

Still at least they are attempting to improve upon those people that can't see very well.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
i heard about this throgh the IGN Daily Fix last month. Nintendo made it for people with eye problems, but its still stupid that they didnt include GBA compability.

i would also believe that the power feed for the bigger screen will drain the power faster.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Damn! That is a bigger screen. I wonder if they are going to make more games to cope with that new area.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Well that has to be the most pointless upgrade ever. I mean, what's the point? The DS original DS screen was fine.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Nintendo's cocaine pile must of been getting low. They are turning into Apple with the speed they let off products that only have a slight upgrade.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Doesn't a bigger screen defeat the point of a PORTABLE console...?

Would be like having a laptop with a 22' screen and a separate "tower"...

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
My girlfriend who loves video games, but has vision problems, wouldn't mind one of these when her DS Lite dies.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I watched the Japanese commercial for the DSi LL with the grandmother using it. She doesn't hold it, rather has it set on a table; it looks like it'd be a bit much to wield. Guessing the scale by her hand-size it looks about the same as a palm-top computer; and seems big enough to not as likely to get lost in the depths of a purse or backpack like a DSi or DS Lite. I'd really like to see what games look like on it in-person, or see a side-by-side-by-side comparison/review between the DS Lite, DSi, and DSi LL. I like the larger stylus, though it doesn't look like it can dock in the DSi LL itself, assuming DSi LL holders will have some sort of pen holder on them, like a journal cover would.

At any rate, this seems an odd move retail-wise with no added features other than bulk.

khululy

Aug 17, 2008
it's for elderly people who vannot see the small screen right you don't have to buy it geez

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
I still use my original grey slab DS. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Your not alone. I still use the blue slab.
OT: It looks nice to say they least, but I'd rather have something that has a GBA slot. Actually do they still make DS Lites or have they cut them from production?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Think I'm gonna stick with my first gen DS...

I'm not really at all interested in this.