Final Two The Old Republic Classes Revealed

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Final Two The Old Republic Classes Revealed

The latest issue of German game mag PC Games reveals that the final two Star Wars: The Old Republic classes will be the Jedi Consular and the Sith Inquisitor.

A-hem. I would like to refer back to the news post I wrote when BioWare unveiled the Jedi Knight class [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95836-BioWare-Unveils-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republics-Jedi-Knight] in SW: TOR at the end of last month, where I hazarded the prediction that we could very well see a "a caster-type Sith" as well as the already-announced Sith Warrior. Can I just toot my own horn for a moment and say: nailed it!

The Inquisitor and Consular were revealed in German game magazine PC Games, and in lieu of a proper reveal on the TOR website, there's a translation of the article over on the game's official forums [http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=91735]. From the descriptions given, both classes are second-line fighters, with the Jedi Consular given the option to choose between damage-dealing and healing (If I know my MMOG communities, guess what they'll be doing in groups?) and the Sith Inquisitor an area-of-effect damage-dealing class with some crowd control support abilities.

The Consular gets to put people to sleep and presumably throw heavy objects at them with the Force, while the Inquisitor lets players live out all of their dark fantasies of being the Emperor and shooting lightning out of their fingertips. It's probably also a way for BioWare to ensure that the game isn't overrun by Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors on day one - or at least, not as overrun.

So, now that all the classes are revealed, this makes the full roster: Trooper, Smuggler, Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular for the Republic, and the Bounty Hunter, Sith Warrior, Imperial Agent and Sith Inquisitor for the Sith Empire. Sounds like a hell of a time.

Does the Sith Inquisitor class make you all wrinkled and twisted like Palpatine here? That could be the make-or-break question, really.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
What's with the stupid names? Just drop the premise and call 'em "Mage" and "Warlock"

Geez...people always giving silly names to things that have been around for years...

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Sweet, each release of game information brings them one step closer to starting beta!

Next: The races. Obviously we have Humans, but I do think they need to bring in some of the more exotic races, not just the usual of Wookies, Twileks, Rodians and Mon Cals. Give me Devaronians, or Shistavian Wolf-people or even fucking Ewoks.

Ewoks, the new Gnome twinks.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Wait, when was the Imperial Agent announced? I must have missed that. Last I heard was the Jedi Knight.

Ah well, no skin off my nose, I'm still rolling a Bounty Hunter come release. I'll probably follow it up with a Trooper as well. The Force users will likely be the last classes I try.

(If I know my MMOG communities, guess what they'll be doing in groups?)
Healing until TOR's first expansion at which point people will begrudgingly let a few guild mates do damage, not really getting a full role until TOR's second expansion?

*cough* Paladins *cough*

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
JaredXE said:
Sweet, each release of game information brings them one step closer to starting beta!

Next: The races. Obviously we have Humans, but I do think they need to bring in some of the more exotic races, not just the usual of Wookies, Twileks, Rodians and Mon Cals. Give me Devaronians, or Shistavian Wolf-people or even fucking Ewoks.

Just imagine how badass a Ewok shooting force lightning will be.

accountdeletethis

Stand-up philosopher
Sep 10, 2008
One more in the long line of "go kill 10 fodder/go fetch 10 whatevers" MMOs. "Skeptical" fails to outline the attitude I have towards this game.

Danman1

Mar 27, 2009
JaredXE said:

Hell Yes Ewoks! I want an Ewok Bounty Hunter flying on a jetpack.

Sep 14, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Probably the only MMO I'll ever consider playing... Damn you BioWare and your amazing games!
this.

I have always despised monthly fee's for a certain game and I personally have never once wanted to play WoW or Aion or any of those popular MMO's, but this definitly has me by the balls and i shall say my social life shall have one hell of a shot to the face once this is released

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I have a feeling this game is going to be very boring with only 4 classes per side which mostly mirror the other side. The classes when broken down ranged warrior and melee warrior, rogue and mage. It's a pretty generic lineup. Similar to a recently released Bioware game. I bet even with as few of classes the game will still be subject to Flavour Of The Month balancing. Unfortunately I'm afraid they will take everything I love about Black Isle/Bioware/Obsidian format and water it down with menial and tedious tasks designed to extend subscription length.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
JaredXE said:

Squib might be one: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Squib

Bothans are a must too: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan

Cathar are a possibility, after all they make great jedi: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cathar

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
CantFaketheFunk said:
paulgruberman said:
James Raynor said:
Funny how you cannot be a light side sith...
If you poured syrup on one, would the Belgians eat them for breakfast?
I don't get it.
Waffles. Aside from their delicious denotation, their recent connotations include those who change their mind.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
James Raynor said:
Funny how you cannot be a light side sith...
Okay, so... I'm not a Star Wars buff but... wouldn't that be a Jedi?
The only real difference between a jedi and a sith is their philosophy. You can be a 'dark jedi' but not a light-sided version of the sith.