Pandemic Had Multiplayer Mercenaries in the Works

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pandemic Had Multiplayer Mercenaries in the Works

[vimeo=7601853]

Out of the ashes of Pandemic's shuttering comes a demo trailer for Mercs Inc, a multiplayer game set in the Mercenaries universe.

Pandemic Studios was officially shut down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96185-Pandemic-Studios-Shuts-Down] last week, but that doesn't mean that its Mercenaries franchise is dead. A demo video has been leaked for a title called Mercs Inc, which was in development at Pandemic before the studio was dismantled.

The trailer comes courtesy of Dorian Compo, former visual effects artist at Pandemic, who describes Mercs Inc as a "multiplayer sandbox" game. On his website [http://www.loyaltydivision.com/], he writes "Too bad it was cancelled because the effects were coming along," not giving a whole lot of hope for the project to still see the light of day.

However, a press release of sorts any of these guys. [http://www.pandemicstudios.com/community/viewtopic.php?id=27760]

(Via: Bitmob [http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/leaked-video-multiplayer-mercenaries-sequel-.html])

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
That looks a hell of a lot better than Mercs 2.
Not hard, but still, I would have liked to al least try it.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Please let them do it. Damn EA, damn them all.

Mercenaries was one of the best games for the PS2.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Furburt said:
After the fiasco that was Mercenaries 2, people seem to forget the Merc 1 was really, really good.
Amen, I loved that game.

They'd better finish this multiplayer thingy, because it actually looks like hilarious fun. It looks done as well for gods sake! Just release it, and make lots of money.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Furburt said:
After the fiasco that was Mercenaries 2, people seem to forget the Merc 1 was really, really good.
RIP Pandemic.
What was wrong with Mercs 2? (Never played Mercs 1)

OP: Stop reminding me that Pandemic is gone! I'm trying to repress the memory. *Sniff*

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
What the hell is wrong with EA? They should have closed EA Black Box. They only make shit games.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
I actually kinda liked Mercs2. There were a few things that really got on my nerves and made me ultimately stop playing it, but I did enjoy it til that point. I loved playing the multi-player part of the game with my friend. Was a ton of fun til we figured out how to be really cheap and win easily. Granted I could have just not used those tactics, but some missions made it too hard/impossible to win if you don't.

Brickcups

May 27, 2009
Damn You EA!! Pandemic was awesome. Mercs was awesome. Pandemic + multiplayer mercs would have been epic. Well it still says former employees are working on it, so here's to hoping it gets finished and is good.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I'm not sure how I feel about this...I love Mercs, but EA just strip-mined it outta Pandemic and got rid of the studio...had the franchise just been bought outright it wouldn't feel so dirty...but I do kinda feel guilty for being excited about this.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
why god why? why when they are working on the third title in a great series just before they get taken out.

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Does the President of Madagascar know that Pandemic has been shut down?

I believe a man in Brazil is coughing, everything is still shut down.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
That looks a hell of a lot better than Mercs 2.
Not hard, but still, I would have liked to al least try it.
Hell, Mercs 1 looked better then Mercs 2...

Canadaftw

Apr 24, 2009
So because of Pandemic shuting down not only will we miss Battle front 3 but also a Mercenaries MMORPG? Couldn't EA have just fired the people who develop the Madden games and use the money they save from not having to pay their salarys any more to keep Pandemic running?