Agoraphobe Sues Activision Over "Hurtful" World of Warcraft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Agoraphobe Sues Activision Over "Hurtful" World of Warcraft

The crazy-ass bastard who sued Sony over a PlayStation Network ban and then launched suits against Microsoft and Nintendo has fired one last litigational salvo: He's suing Activision Blizzard because World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] isn't fun enough.

The story of Erik Estavillo should be familiar to all of us by now: The agoraphobic gamer filed a sequel lawsuits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93314-Agoraphobic-PS3-Owner-Sues-Sony-over-PSN-Ban] against Microsoft and Nintendo for the Red Ring of Death and the 4.3 update to the Wii firmware respectively. But that's not the end of it; today he announced his "final lawsuit," filed against Activision Blizzard because World of Warcraft isn't fun enough.

I make that point twice because although it may sound like a joke, it's not. Estavillo's complaint essentially breaks down like this: Blizzard charges too much money for World of Warcraft, a problem exacerbated by the fact that the game doesn't let people move around fast enough until they've sunk enough time and money into it to buy a mount or a "teleportation stone." But mentally ill people who rely on MMOGs as their primary form of entertainment and contact with the outside world have a tendency to die when they're deprived of them and since Estavillo himself is mentally ill and doesn't want to end up like all the other dead MMOGers out there, he wants the game "fixed."

Oh, and he wants a million bucks in punitive damages "for creating a game which hurts gamers rather than being a bridge of entertainment for them to pursue happiness."

But wait, there's more! To support his case, Estavillo has subpoenaed both Martin Lee Gore of Winona Ryder [http://www.depechemode.com/] to testify. "[Gore] will be a witness on 'alienation' and the ties it has to World of Warcraft, since he himself has been known to be sad, lonely, and alienated as can be seen in the songs he writes," he explained in an email to The Escapist.

"[Ryder] and I share a common interest in the book Catcher in the Rye, which is all about alienation," he continued. "She will be a witness that can explain the significance of alienation in Catcher in the Rye (since she bought one of the original printed copies at an auction) and will also testify to how alienation in the book can tie to alienation in real life/video games such as World of Warcraft."

It's quite clear at this point that one of two things is happening here: Either Estavillo is a total nutcase - not just agoraphobic, OCD and all the rest, but completely out of his tree - or these lawsuits are a buildup to some sort of unfathomable attention-whoring punchline. It's a dangerous game; according to Rule 11 [http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/Rule11.htm] of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, people who knowingly bring a frivolous lawsuit before the courts can be slapped with some pretty hefty fines.

And yet... Is there a third possibility that we're overlooking? Could all of this in fact be another stealth ad from the wild and crazy guys at the Dante's Inferno [http://www.dantesinferno.com/] marketing team? Is it sloth? Will it be greed? Is it possible that this series of insane lawsuits will turn out to be the most insidious advertisement ever? Of course not - although as explanations go, it makes about as much sense as anything else involved in this case. (And if it is, I'm totally buying the game just for the sheer awesomeness of the marketing.)

Estavillo's complaint can be read here (Ryder [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/display/60938]).

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
This guy again??? Honestly, you'd think he'd simply stop playing video games if they caused him this much trouble. This is getting absurd!!!

Malygris said:
And yet... Is there a third possibility that we're overlooking? Could all of this in fact be another stealth ad from the wild and crazy guys at the Dante's Inferno [http://www.dantesinferno.com/] marketing team? Is it sloth? Will it be greed? Is it possible that this series of insane lawsuits will turn out to be the most insidious advertisement ever? Of course not - although as explanations go, it makes about as much sense as anything else involved in this case. (And if it is, I'm totally buying the game just for the sheer awesomeness of the marketing.)
If that is true, I will buy ten copies of the game...and eat my shoes...

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
If this is another stealth ad, has "Wrath" already been used? Also, how in the world could he get Marvin Lee Gore and Winona Ryder to testify? There's got to be something else behind the scenes of this whole thing.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I forgot. They used the "Wrath" one on Yahtzee.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Someone please just control this guy. Please, he's making an arse out of himself, and wasting everyones time.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
If that is true, I will buy ten copies of the game...and eat my shoes...
And I will pay to watch you do that.

If this is another Inferno plug, I think Sloth sounds more fitting, as this guy wants so much reward for literally not doing anything productive.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
a game which hurts gamers rather than being a bridge of entertainment for them to pursue happiness.
Not that I make a point of agreeing with insane hyper-trolls, but I'm starting to worry about how much time I've sunk into that thing.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
God I hope he gets fined and locked away in a mental institution, where he very clearly belongs. It was just sad until I saw that he subpoenaed Winona Ryder because she shares a common interest in a book. That's the funniest thing I've ever heard in my entire life.

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
Christ he needs to be sent to a mental hospital now. I could understand the Sony lawsuit but taking it to 360 and Wii was just stupid and finally WoW from there he can go F*** himself. Am praying he doesn't win and I think he probably won't.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I can just see a judge looking up, letting out an exasperated "You again!?" followed by an epic facepalm.

TheEvilJester

Nov 18, 2009
This guy has got to be attention whoring or planning SOMETHING massive. No sane person can sue Sony Nintendo Microsoft AND Activision Blizzard, and hope to actually win. Those companies can get lawyers that are probably 20 times over his budget. Yeah he's planning something.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Hmm, I'm almost completely lost of words here. At the time of his first lawsuit, I thought he was just perhaps a little bit "off", but these two new ones, along with his recruiting of celebrities to help in his case (as well as the reasons for doing so), seem to confirm that this guy is definitely one analogue stick short of a full controller.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Avykins said:
Okay. Now it is painfully clear that he is just trolling. Nothing more.
My question is who the hell is representing this cabbage? Not even ambulance chasing lawyers would stoop this low and jack thompson has been disbarred. Is he representing himself? Because if he is managing to leave his house and go to a courtroom just full of people and then make his way through the reporters outside the courthouse then he is clearly not agoraphobic.
He represents himself... somehow.