Bungie Hiring for New IP

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bungie Hiring for New IP

It looks like Bungie may be finally moving away from Halo after all, if a job posting seeking help creating the company's "next game universe" is any indication.

When Bungie community manager Brian Jarrard said that next year's Halo: Reach would be the last game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94116-Bungie-Reach-Will-be-Our-Last-Halo-Trilogy-Content] the studio was developing for the universe of the current Halo trilogy, many of us laughed. Maybe Bungie's employees were sick of the franchise, but sick enough to throw away such a guaranteed moneymaker? Preposterous, we chuckled!

Then again, maybe there's some truth to it after all. A job listing on Bungie's official site [http://www.bungie.net/inside/jobs.aspx] mentions that the studio is looking for a new Writing Lead for its upcoming project, and the wording suggests that this isn't just another Halo game, but a new IP altogether: "Your words will help define Bungie's next game universe."

While the rest of the description mainly elaborates on the particular skills and experience that Bungie is looking for, there's one bit that jumps out at me. It isn't required, but the listing mentions that "branching or non-linear narrative experience" is a "plus," which seems to suggest that whatever the company is working on, it'll be a branching storyline - so make of that what you will.

And no, your Halo fanfiction starring Master Chief's long-lost brother doesn't count as industry experience. Sorry.

(Via The Examiner [http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m11d30-Bungie-working-on-new-franchise-hiring-now])

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
As long as the next IP has absolutely nothing to do with any aspect of Halo's fiction, I look forward to what comes from Bungie.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
And no, your Halo fanfiction starring Master Chief's long-lost brother doesn't count as industry experience. Sorry.
It was about his nephew, but point taken.

Let's hope they keep this new one to more of a single player game. They know how to make them, just never long enough.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I actually commend them for ending a series before it becomes too stale, kudos to them, and I want to see what bungie will do when you take away there crowning moment of glory.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Jbird said:
As long as the next IP has absolutely nothing to do with any aspect of Halo's fiction, I look forward to what comes from Bungie.
Here here, to be honest i'm glad their moving away from the poor over-milked cow.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
It's kinda hard to think about what it could be, since outside of Halo, Bungie's mostly done sci-fi except for Myth, Desert Storm, and "Gnop"

Course maybe this means they're finally going to make Pimps at Sea a reality

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I know. They hired me.

They were impressed by my astounding levels of awesome.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The next IP should be some kinda fantasy setting. Something far away from Sci-fi.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
That would be a dream job for me right there. Shame I'm only 16, still in school with no qualifications.

AdambotLive

Jul 19, 2009
Bungie could do a good RPG/Free-roaming game. Look at new mombasa in ODST, i think they did quite well.

Adamsusskind

Sep 30, 2009
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=954579

Ah... *sigh* Check out the link, it's about this.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
"Well-known game developer seeks writing lead for new IP. Experience with man-sized self-powered protective gear (esp. green), ionised gas-based weapons (esp. purple) and subtlely working in bible references everywhere a must."

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Could someone please tell me what IP stands for in the videogame industry? :(

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
In the entertainment industry in general, "IP" stands for "Intellectual Property", or basically the ideas and concepts pertaining to a fictional world.

Halo and its world, games etc. are an "IP".

Half-Life is an "IP".

CoD is an "IP".

Etc etc.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Let's just hope that's all people have been writing. If the guy or girl who gets hired for this post turns out to have a hobby of writing Master Chief/Arbiter slashfic, then I will turn up at Bungie HQ and murder that person with a replica Energy Sword, and hold Joseph Staten hostage. And I don't even have a replica Energy Sword... (though I'm sure that Bioshock costume dude could whip one up in no time).

Anyway, this looks pretty good. As a Halo fanboy I'm pleased. Bungie aren't responsible now for Halo, since that's now been moved to Microsoft's new studio. So basically this means more Halo stuff for certain from MS (since they wouldn't bother creating a new studio solely for Halo if no new stuff is going to be released), and more brand new stuff from Bungie which, if it goes the way of Halo and Marathon, is likely to be pretty damn awesome. So new stuff plus more Halo from a new studio = epic win for the Halo fanboys like myself :D.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Jbird said:
RIDE THE MONEY TRAIN!

SET ON MARS IN 3000............

*scrolling Star Wars text*