Players Outraged Over Battlefield: Heroes Price Changes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Players Outraged Over Battlefield: Heroes Price Changes

Fans of EA's free-to-play multiplayer shooter Battlefield: Heroes [http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/] are up in arms over a "price restructuring" which they say will force them to spend money if they want to continue playing the game.

The quickest and simplest way to acquire items in Battlefield: Heroes is to spend real money on BattleFunds which can then be dropped on in-game equipment, but folks with light pocketbooks (or cheap habits) can accomplish essentially the same thing with Valor Points that are earned through normal gameplay and don't cost a dime. Or at least, they could; in the wake of yesterday's price changes, however, that no longer appears to be an option.

The problem, according to most of the gamers who have leaped into the Ars Technica [http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=88560&page=1]. As a result, the amount of playtime required to gain just one improved weapon has suddenly become prohibitively high.

"450 VP at a maximum of 7 VP a game, that's 50 games a day. About 4 hours worth of playing," one mathematically-inclined player wrote [http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=88560&pid=937595#pid937595]. "Now, when you lose a round you can only get 5 VP, making the amount of rounds you need to play each day to keep ONE weapon about 60, which is about 5 hours playtime, every day, for one Uber/Super weapon." That may not make a lot of sense to you (it certainly doesn't to me) but the general idea is clear: You're going to have to play like a maniac if you want to keep yourself equipped without having to bust out the credit card.

The great potential irony in all this is that the changes were presumably made because Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.ea.com] boycott for a prime example of that particular phenomenon. But Battlefield: Heroes ain't no MewTwo and EA may have really shot itself in the foot this time.

Interestingly, it was only a few months ago that things seemed to be going fairly well [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93871-How-Much-People-Are-Spending-in-Battlefield-Heroes] for Battlefield: Heroes. Among players who spent money on the game, the average amount was a healthy $20, three-quarters of which was rather oddly spent on vanity items like hats and sunglasses instead of weapons or other equipment that could actually affect gameplay.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I saw this coming a mile away.

It was fun, but I just played the Beta and the full game a bit to know how it was, and to get my BF Veteran status up for other BF games like BF3 and BC2.

However, its still a dick move.

Hyperone

Nov 30, 2009
Should we expect anything less from the fiends that we know collectively as EA?

A likely unwise move in the long run.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
I saw this coming a mile away.

It was fun, but I just played the Beta and the full game a bit to know how it was, and to get my BF Veteran status up for other BF games like BF3 and BC2.

However, its still a dick move.
Very Large Rooster in this Move

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
EA is trying to get more money out of its customers? Shall I alert the presses and bump us up to DEFCON 2?

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Real helpful, EA, you dumbasses. (Don't tell them I said that.) BFH was a good game before they decided to make us pay for BattleFunds.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Is it wrong to hope for a rapid player base collapse? Or mass defections to Quakelive?

I'm guessing BF Heroes must have been costing too much to run (they can't have seriously tried to pan this out as a positive move can they?), but surely there's better ways of doing it. I wouldn't have thought the majority of players would have minded some degree of ingame adverts on a free game, especially if the justification was "adverts or pay money, we can't afford avoiding both,"

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Er....so quit. Play another game that is free that you aren't paying to develop, patch, run servers, create content, maintain bandwidth. 1st law of economics....no such thing as a free lunch.

You and your friends go grab some toy guns at the $.99, spray paint them any way you want, make up your own back stories, powers, and costumes and tear the crap out of your mum's backyard. It'll be more realistic, you'll get exercise, and you can create any uber weapon you want and keep it for as long as you want you whiny cheapskates.

Me, I'm already donning my cardboard reinforced, tin foiled covered mech suit with high velocity nerf bullets for you oncoming flames...Oh, and it was all free.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Well, I can understand why this sucks. I just started playing again a couple of days ago, and I haven't used any Valor Points or anything yet. Don't think I'll ever use those Valor Points either. Not like it's necessary or anything, the game is loads of fun without any of the extras.

Hope they tweak it slightly back again though, as I want this game to continue.

Feb 13, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
And the micro-transaction monopoly rolls ever further because "there's nothing wrong with them."
Except that doing what EA just did is a great way to make the consumer hate you.
Unfortunately, listening to consumers is getting rare in this "enlightened" age. Now when there's good money to be made by ignoring their desires and just pumping up the adverts.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Alone Disciple said:
Er....so quit. Play another game that is free that you aren't paying to develop, patch, run servers, create content, maintain bandwidth. 1st law of economics....no such thing as a free lunch.
I would have thought that the first law was that you had to make sure you actually had people paying for the product.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
And the micro-transaction monopoly rolls ever further because "there's nothing wrong with them."
Except that doing what EA just did is a great way to make the consumer hate you.
Unfortunately, listening to consumers is getting rare in this "enlightened" age. Now when there's good money to be made by ignoring their desires and just pumping up the adverts.
They will obey...beat them into submission and they will obey....

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
odubya23 said:
These videogame people aren't running a charity, though I didn't necessarily expect them to put on the trappings of a coke dealer. Give them a bunch for free, then raise he price after they're hooked.
That was almost poetic, but I do agree. I never got round to playing this though I wanted to, but now I guess I'll leave it and just play NeoTokyo some more.