Extreme Makeover: (Steampunk) Home Edition

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Extreme Makeover: (Steampunk) Home Edition

Individual steampunk items are pretty cool and everything, but what about an entire steampunk house?

Bruce and Melanie Rosenbaum started a company restoring Victorian homes to their original glory a couple of years ago, which stood them in good stead when they were designing and building their very own steampunk house.

The house is filled from top to bottom with Victoriana, merged with modern technology, as all the best steampunk is, from the kitchen counters made from antique printers desks topped with quartz, to the wonderful mantelpiece/TV stand combo with the late 1800s fireplace insert hiding a DVD player.

The whole house looks amazing, and all the steampunk stuff looks functional as well as, well, awesome. For a very detailed tour of the house, with a lot of pictures, click here [http://steampunkworkshop.com/visit-steampunked-home].

Source: The Steampunk Workshop [http://steampunkworkshop.com/visit-steampunked-home].

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Holy crap! It's like Rapture, only above water and a lot less...ransacked...

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Of course, that's gonna be old news when I start living in my own steampunk blimp.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
That's pretty cool, not as much steampunk as I hoped (more Victorian than anything) but the stove was the high point for me. If that TV had a cooling coil somewhere on it, it would have made it more than perfect.

energetic

Jun 22, 2009
wow that is awesome and I don't know if it's just me but I imagine them having jealous cyber punk neighbours ^_^

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
This is the most beautiful house ever. I want it so much. I may have to do something like this one day

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
Donnyp said:
Whats with peoples Obsessions of this steampunk thing? I really don't see the appeal.
It's an aesthetics thing. That era had a certain style that has basically vanished as the electronic age has come in, and people miss the look. I, for one, prefer the steam look to the slick plastic look that's ever present today. The steam look emphasizes the fact that technology is something foreign to the natural world, but still something useful; the tech stands out and makes itself known, whereas so much modern tech tries (and fails) to gloss over its own existence.

Plus, seeing this level of dedication to artistic home remodeling pleases me greatly.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
not quite steampunky enough, a few modifications, two or three buckets of paint, and then it would be just right.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
The house looks awesome, and I'd love to visit it some day, but I feel like living in it would get kind of tiresome after a while.

That's just me, though.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Eat that tiny little fake looking 'steampunk' USB stick! Beautiful, especially his office is just drop-dead gorgeous.

Honestly though, I expected a bit more out of it, especially the living and kitchen miss, to me, a kind of warm feel I generally associate with Victorian design, but then again that's a pretty broad thing. Then I read that it's not done yet, so it's alright. If I may make suggestion, Bordeaux red is a wonderful colour, especially for fabrics, like curtains. The door posts and baseboards could be made from something like cherry or rose wood, and I'd like to see the yellow and green wall paint go. More brass in the living room too. The office is just perfect, with just 1 comment: red curtains. Now it feels a bit too cold for my taste.

I guess it's a matter of taste, I'm more of a fan of the warm type of Victorian style, with lots of red and dark wood and in the case of steampunk, gleaming brass. Maybe he's not totally going for that, but I still love it.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Is it just me or is that the most awesome thing ever?

[sub][sub]Edit: with this post, I'm apparently a "Muckraker". Huh, Escapist post count titles are weird.[/sub][/sub]