360 Avatar Awards... where are they already?!

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I thought it was a decent idea to award avatar clothing and accessories through achievements in 360 games, but I'll be damned if there isn't just a handful of games that I have heard of that actually award these things. Maybe this is an idea that died a quietly mysterious death, but I haven't won any of these awards, and haven't heard of any games promoting the ability to unlock said awards. Did XBL give up on this project, or are devs just not playing in to creating achievements to make use of this?
Yeah, I mean the awards you get from playing games, not the avatar stuff you can get by purchasing them through XBL. Those are not even what I'm talking about. I mean the items you could get through playing a game and not having to invest Points in buying. Is it that MS saw the potential for money they could lose by not just SELLING said items through XBL Marketplace, or am I still the only one who gives a care about this idea?

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Blame Developers using drugs, Or Squirrels

in the Absence of Sane Reasons, a Insane Reason makes sense

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Have you tried Left 4 Dead 2 because i know that game has special achievements that give you extra avatar items. Other than that there isn't a game i've encountered that uses this.

TheSimp

Sep 23, 2009
'Splosion Man has a t-shirt. A nice one too, but I don't own any other games apart from that and Left 4 Dead 2 that do. Bioshock 2 might? Oh I think Halo Wars or ODST do.

You could well be right about Microsoft seeing more potential in sale rather than reward. It's not that much of a deal though is it? The way I see it, the clothing is a more interesting way of getting rid of a spare 80points you have after buying an arcade game. I'm not too fussed about the lack of actual avatar awards. That is if there is a lack, there's a lot of games that I don't own, blah blah ramble ramble, I'll stop now.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
There's a few in Arcade titles. I think some of the House Party (Block Party for those in the US) have a few avatar awards.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
They're not losing money... it's just a cool way to show that you've played the game and it's a little bit better than an achievement... Unfortunately, I already own Left 4 Dead 2 on the PC and have no interest in Waypoint so I'm a bit left out. Hopefully they catch on soon.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
GodKlown said:
I thought it was a decent idea to award avatar clothing and accessories through achievements in 360 games, but I'll be damned if there isn't just a handful of games that I have heard of that actually award these things. Maybe this is an idea that died a quietly mysterious death, but I haven't won any of these awards, and haven't heard of any games promoting the ability to unlock said awards. Did XBL give up on this project, or are devs just not playing in to creating achievements to make use of this?
Yeah, I mean the awards you get from playing games, not the avatar stuff you can get by purchasing them through XBL. Those are not even what I'm talking about. I mean the items you could get through playing a game and not having to invest Points in buying. Is it that MS saw the potential for money they could lose by not just SELLING said items through XBL Marketplace, or am I still the only one who gives a care about this idea?
My Avatar is decked out in his L4D2 zombie hand shirt so I'm happy :) but dude thanks for bringing this up you have a great point. I don't want to have to spend 2 bucks for my AC Altair suit I want to just get like 2000 guard kills in game to get it

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Pigeon_Grenade said:
Blame Developers using drugs, Or Squirrels

in the Absence of Sane Reasons, a Insane Reason makes sense
Or you could go really far out and blame drug using Developer Squirrels.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
The only games I know that do this are L4D2, Splosion Man, Halo Waypoint, and Perfect Dark. And thats about it.

So far the only one I like is the Halo waypoint EVA helmet. It looks stylish and I'm the only person I know who has it.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
AjimboB said:
Halo Waypoint gives you ODST armor, a helmet and Guilty Spark.

Sadly, this isn't a game, and you don't even have to do anything for these items, so they aren't really "awards."
I thought you neeeded to get specific achievements or high gamerscore in halo to get them? I only have the guilty spark.

I also have some lame Splosion Man shirts.

ThePocketWeasel

Mar 24, 2009
I've not played a game with these in, nor have I heard of any games with them in. You would think games with them in would be promoting it too.
Glad I'm not alone in thinking the idea of unlockable avatar items died quietly in a dark cold corner somewhere.

Kimby

Apr 2, 2010
GodKlown said:
I have the medipac and Defibs' for my avatar from L4D2.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
AjimboB said:
Halo Waypoint gives you ODST armor, a helmet and Guilty Spark.

Sadly, this isn't a game, and you don't even have to do anything for these items, so they aren't really "awards."
Those awards are actually for ODST not Waypoint. (odd I know) EVA is for getting all the achievements in all the Halo games. Really the only award from Waypoint is Guilty Spark.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
GodKlown said:
I look at them from a hobby-game developer and I have to wonder, like one protagonist from a zombie movie I can't recall the name of as she looked over a baseball bat, "Wheres the point to that?" I mean, knowing Microsoft's XBox programming which is the developer equivalent of driving rusty blunt spikes into your skull, it seems like going through a lot of fuss for minimal gain.

Its one of those neat ideas that gets marred by terrible execution, the execution is just on the development end.