360 Price Cut Coming Right Now

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
360 Price Cut Coming Right Now

A price cut was expected on the Xbox 360 by the end of the month, and bingo bango, here we are at the end of the month.

Major Nelson announced "It's official: #Xbox360 drops Elite console price by $100 in the US," on his Twitter this morning, adding a more detailed update to his blog [http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/08/27/its-official-xbox-360-elite-price-drop.aspx].

As previously mentioned, the 360 Pro is taking the long walk off the short pier, receiving a $50 price cut to hit $249 where it will remain until it is sold out. The 360 Elite will be taking the new top spot with a drop to $299, as a response to Sony's new $299 PS3 Slim. The Arcade will be left at $199. Maybe, if we're lucky, 360 hard drives themselves will also end up with a price cut.

This move seems almost choreographed, with a 120 GB Xbox 360 just waiting in the wings to compete at the same price with the 120 GB PS3 Slim. Could there be a giant conspiracy between both Microsoft and Sony to ... steal our souls? Perhaps, but my question is, when will Nintendo respond? $249 for the Wii seems completely inappropriate now.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Yeah, just spotted it on Gamespot. Pun not intended.

But it still doesn't change the fact that both PS3 and Xbox 360 games are twice as expensive as PC games. For one Xbox 360 game, I could buy new 2x2GB RAM and for two games I would be able to buy a new kickass CPU.

For three games? CPU + power supply to overclock it.

Still not sold.

edit: In my country of course.

Apr 28, 2008
Now all they need to do is drop the price of the stupidly overpriced hard drives.

$100 for 60 gigs? Yeah, no.

I also wonder if microsoft, sony, and nintendo will ever drop the price of their damn controlers.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
I would say "Now it's cheeper I can by an Elite", but I'm content with my Pro.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Is this really good for MS? I mean, how much will they be earning on each copy they sell now?

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee that's great i bought my 360 pro 3months ago ,if i knew the price would drop i would of got the elite ,as for dropping prices , i think games should get a price cut especially the games that have been out for 2 years or so , paying 60 for cod4 for the 360 new is bullshit

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Angron said:
iamq said:
Is this really good for MS? I mean, how much will they be earning on each copy they sell now?
more than sony will im sure ;)
How's that? I mean, we didn't know how much they earned in the first place.

pipboy2010

Aug 24, 2009
Ah, a console price cut in the US. That's nice. MS will probably make their money back by upping prices in the UK and Europe by another 100 Euros or so. That's what usually happens with consoles over here.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
XDUCK said:
gee that's great i bought my 360 pro 3months ago ,if i knew the price would drop i would of got the elite ,as for dropping prices , i think games should get a price cut especially the games that have been out for 2 years or so , paying 60 for cod4 for the 360 new is bullshit
We pay 250 PLN for any PS3/Xbox360 game. That's about $80, a bit more.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
pipboy2009 said:
Ah, a console price cut in the US. That's nice. MS will probably make their money back by upping prices in the UK and Europe by another 100 Euros or so. That's what usually happens with consoles over here.
Well your right about the aracade but the elite is going down by £30. aracade is going up to £159.99? Can't remember.

pipboy2010

Aug 24, 2009
Hybridwolf said:
pipboy2009 said:
Well your right about the pro but the elite is going down by £30. Pro is going up to £159.99? Can't remember.
Hmm, just looked it up, the Arcade's up to £160 and the Elite's coming down to £200, which is frankly a miracle.

Also, "The company will also be aware of a reported 5.7 per cent drop in UK year-on-year videogame sales in the first half of 2009". Perhaps that's because our consoles are more expensive than everyone else's?

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
iamq said:
Angron said:
iamq said:
they began by losing money on the PS3 and recently announced theyre making a loss on each PS3 slim sold now...so i think MS is doing abt better than that...and the xbox is cheaper to make anyway so they will be makign more money per console

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Angron said:
iamq said:
Angron said:
iamq said:
they began by losing money on the PS3 and recently announced theyre making a loss on each PS3 slim sold now...so i think MS is doing abt better than that...and the xbox is cheaper to make anyway so they will be makign more money per console
If I recall correctly, Microsoft is already taking a loss on every console they build, just as they did with the original Xbox. They make their money through the game sales rather than the consoles themselves.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
XDUCK said:
I agree.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
People keep talking about these price cuts like Sony and MS are financial geniuses but the truth is that price cuts represent a drop in value of the product. Sony maintained that people would be willing to pay a premium for their advanced technology and the customers mostly told them to fuck off. If MS and Sony continue in a discount war they will both only lose more money.

Meanwhile there will likely be no Wii price cut. Why? Because that system has maintained its value. Customers will continue to fork over whatever Nintendo asks for the console; why should they drop the price?

hansari

May 31, 2009
XDUCK said:
gee that's great i bought my 360 pro 3months ago ,if i knew the price would drop i would of got the elite...
Shame they are not selling them with HD cables anymore...they are sold separately now. (no wonder Microsoft could afford this price-cut)

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Irridium said:
I also wonder if microsoft, sony, and nintendo will ever drop the price of their damn controlers.
probly not, that's where they make their money really

the funny part about this price cut is the whole UK thing where m$ is claiming currency fluctuations, the british pound has gained on the usd, and not the other way around, so really they're making more money off the Brits by raising the price